Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Any trailer hitch for the RX450HL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 07:36 PM
New450hL
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I am fairly new to the RX

interesting the h does not have exhaust outlets but the non hybrids do including the 350hL....i thought it wss an L only issue
Old 07-02-20, 07:46 PM
MrKirby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My best guess

My best guess would be this one.... But I was off with the hitch... Here is my best guess.

Originally Posted by New450hL
I am fairly new to the RX

interesting the h does not have exhaust outlets but the non hybrids do including the 350hL....i thought it wss an L only issue
Old 07-25-20, 04:23 AM
New450hL
Rookie

Originally Posted by New450
I would love to know if ANYONE can tell me where the 10 pin plug is on the HL.... its NOT the same as the H
what 10pin harness kit did you use and where did you find the place to plug it in?

I have a 2019 450hL that I got from Sheehy Lexus too.
Old 10-12-20, 11:42 AM
ANTIHYPE
Driver School Candidate

Smile

2019 Draw-Tite 450hL hitch

Hi New450HL,

Thank you for posting your pics.. Looks perfect! Did you have to perform any modifications to do the install? I have been looking into putting on a hitch for our 2020 450HL. Curt and Draw Tite does not confirm that make one for the 450HL.. LOL.. Thank you so much, your reply could save me a bunch of anxiety..
Old 10-12-20, 12:07 PM
New450hL
Rookie

Originally Posted by ANTIHYPE
Hi New450HL,

Thank you for posting your pics.. Looks perfect! Did you have to perform any modifications to do the install? I have been looking into putting on a hitch for our 2020 450HL. Curt and Draw Tite does not confirm that make one for the 450HL.. LOL.. Thank you so much, your reply could save me a bunch of anxiety..
I did not have to make any modifications but I hear the 2020 rear trim is more of a tighter squeeze where you would either bolt and torque it into place squishing about 1/8” of trim or you can cut. I don’t know this to be 100% true the trim hangs slightly lower on 2020. Some say kick sensor is a problem with trailer hitch on but think that can be programmed to not activate. I get to use the force Placing my hand over the L emblem on my 2019 which my 3.5yr old son LOVES thinking he is like Darth Vader.

for the life of me I have not found where to plug into wiring harness for trailer lights. Don’t think I ever tow (use it for bike rack) but nice to have just in case.
Old 10-25-20, 05:12 PM
ANTIHYPE
Driver School Candidate

I did not have to make any modifications but I hear the 2020 rear trim is more of a tighter squeeze where you would either bolt and torque it into place squishing about 1/8” of trim or you can cut. I don’t know this to be 100% true the trim hangs slightly lower on 2020. Some say kick sensor is a problem with trailer hitch on but think that can be programmed to not activate. I get to use the force Placing my hand over the L emblem on my 2019 which my 3.5yr old son LOVES thinking he is like Darth Vader.

for the life of me I have not found where to plug into wiring harness for trailer lights. Don’t think I ever tow (use it for bike rack) but nice to have just in case.
Awesome. Thank you so much for your reply. Hope you have a good one. Stay safe and healthy.
Old 10-26-20, 09:42 PM
boac
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Just want to confirm if the kick user and be switched off by the user and it's in the manual?
Old 10-28-20, 08:20 AM
boac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mckdaddy
I see on my vehicle settings that I can turn on/off the kick sensor, which is a relief....I didn’t know of the sensor might act bizarrely w/ something somewhat blocking it.
Hi, would appreciate it if you can share which part of the vehicle setting is this located (the ability to to turn off kick sensor) . Thank you
Old 10-28-20, 08:41 AM
boac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ANTIHYPE
Awesome. Thank you so much for your reply. Hope you have a good one. Stay safe and healthy.
Hello, I just got a 2020 rx 450hL with a kick sensor also and would very much like to know if you were able to find an installer or an off the shelf hitch receiver that would work . I called curt and they don't have any for this model. I also called u haul and the short of of it is that they don't have a hitch that are made for the rx 450hl yet and are willing to make one custom but i have to drive to Arizona to do that , it takes at least 3 days to design one agent says. You know lexus will not even try to install this part although it says that it fits the rx 450hl because of the damn kick sensor https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2020...T22848180.html . So anyway, I will appreciate it if you can share any experience if you had success installing one on your 450hl. Thank you very much
Old 10-28-20, 08:47 AM
boac
Driver School Candidate

2019 Draw-Tite 450hL hitch

Hi, I just checked that this hitch receiver model is made specifically for the rx 350 L and it worked fine with your rx 450hL ? Did you install it yourself ? I went to u haul hitch super center and they won't even try the one made for 350L if it fits the 450hL because they can't guarantee it. I do have a 2020 450hl. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-22-20, 05:15 AM
MrKirby
Driver School Candidate

Default Finally Done with wiring kit on non-tow package 2018 450HL

I bought the wrong plug & play wiring kit. An auto shop here ordered the correct kit for me. I will update when I get the kit
Hitch took 6 months. Thanks to “New450hL”
I bought the

Non splicing (clips over top of wires) wire kit for non tow package 450-HL.
I have attached a picture. I got a local trailer business to install as they had to take out the rear tail lights so that they could test the wires at the source instead of poking through wires.
also I don’t have pictures of install to tell you the wires to clip.
So this system reads when their is voltage to the wire and copies that signal.
works great.

Again there is differences between the models and this combo works with the 2018 450-HL.

Also, this is just for towing my very small trailer for Reno’s and snowblower as well as bike rack. This model, was not intended to pull motor homes Or large trailers because it will ruin transmission. Tow package on non hybrids have tranny cooler and larger oil pan.
FYI for other users reading.
Old 12-29-20, 08:56 AM
DigitalMan
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotlexus
So I put the 350L hitch on the car and there were no issues. I would say that any hitch that fits a 2018 350l onwards will fit the 2020 450hl
Scotlexus, can you confirm which 350L hitch vendor and model # you successfully installed on your 2020 450hL? Can you give us any info on how easy it was to install? Did you have to cut anything?

Thanks.
Old 01-16-21, 07:48 AM
New450hL
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrKirby
Hitch took 6 months. Thanks to “New450hL”
I bought the

Non splicing (clips over top of wires) wire kit for non tow package 450-HL.
I have attached a picture. I got a local trailer business to install as they had to take out the rear tail lights so that they could test the wires at the source instead of poking through wires.
also I don’t have pictures of install to tell you the wires to clip.
So this system reads when their is voltage to the wire and copies that signal.
works great.

Again there is differences between the models and this combo works with the 2018 450-HL.

Also, this is just for towing my very small trailer for Reno’s and snowblower as well as bike rack. This model, was not intended to pull motor homes Or large trailers because it will ruin transmission. Tow package on non hybrids have tranny cooler and larger oil pan.
FYI for other users reading.
I spent a good 2hrs pulling everything apart to try and find where the factory harness plug would be but no luck.

Therefore THANKS for info on the wire harness you installed. I will get the same installed for the rare occasion I need to tow a trailer I know I am fully ready.
Old 03-11-21, 08:58 AM
Synbio
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX450HL Tow Bar

Hi, I've just had a detachable towbar fitted on my Rx450HL. I'm UK 🇬🇧 based and Lexus dealers couldn't help. I contacted many fitters and only http://telfordtowbars.co.uk managed to address the issue. They fitted a detachable towbar with a 7pin connector. The tailgate still operates with the kick sensor too. I also purchased the Thule 3 bike rack, Thule roof bars & Thule roof box. Bill & Andrew are both amazing people and did a fantastic job. Please note: the RX450HL can not tow but can carry a bike rack/carrier.

RX450HL with full Thule fitout & detachable towbar from http://telfordtowbars.co.uk

RX450HL with full Thule fitout & detachable towbar from http://telfordtowbars.co.uk
Old 04-09-21, 09:33 AM
DigitalMan
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

A few weeks ago I installed the Curt C13394 hitch from etrailer.com on my 2020 RX450hL (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C13394.html). Etrailer and Curt don't seem to know that this hitch which is meant for the 350L does also fit the 450hL but it fits perfectly. The install was fairly easy, I did it all myself except I had my son help me to lift it into place and get the first few bolts in place. The videos on etrailer are helpful, but there isn't one for an RX for this hitch. However, there is one for another hitch that installs very similar, so suggest watching the Lexus RX350L install video here: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...ite/76156.html. The biggest task was probably cutting the driver's side panel to go over the hitch since they don't give you a template or anything. What I did was pushed it into place to see where it hit the hitch and then tried to just trim the minimum amount necessary with a Dremel and a cutting blade. The second picture shows the panel after I trimmed it and re-installed it. The third picture is the front part of that same panel to show where I trimmed it there.

I won't be towing with this vehicle so I only installed the hitch and didn't bother with the electrical hook up. I just need it for a bike rack and possibly a cargo carrier. I bought a 1-Up USA Equip-D Single (https://www.1up-usa.com/product/equip-d-single/) bike rack plus one Equip-D Add-On (https://www.1up-usa.com/product/equip-d-add-on/). Most of the time I only need to carry one bike so this will allow me to have a small single bike rack most of the time and I can add room for a second rack only when I need it.

I'm very happy with this setup. Here are some pictures:

Last edited by DigitalMan; 04-09-21 at 09:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nitalice (04-09-21)

Quick Reply: Any trailer hitch for the RX450HL?