Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600h - Transfer case noise - Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 12:03 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default LS600h - Transfer case noise - Bearing?

I've noticed a very faint metallic whining noise when at move, coasting makes no difference, and it is just about audible at highway speeds with no music playing. Lexus mechanics have checked the brakes, wheel bearings, alignment etc and found no issues. They have since looked into it more, and think it's a faulty bearing in the transfer case. They said that if it is indeed a bearing issue, it'll take about 9 hours of work to replace it. The total cost is not that high, around $800 (incl. a new bearing), and it would be very nice if it could be repaired rather than just replaced at an exorbitant cost, as seems to be the norm in most places.

This seems very surprising/discouraging for a car that has done about 76k miles, considering I've heard of LS600hs hitting thrice that without mechanical issues...

Is this a common issue? The dealership in Tallinn said they've encountered it 3 times or so. I read some threads on transfer case issues in AWD LS 4th gen cars, but I haven't had any of the the mentioned symptoms (lurching, shunt, vibration). Just the faint noise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the circled part is the transfer case (it's right after the 2 speed transmission gearset & I see the Torsen)? Not sure whether the front output counts as part of it. As far as I'm aware, everything gold-coloured in the photo is a bearing.

Photo is from Wikipedia, there's a higher-resolution version available in case you're interested.
Old 11-12-19, 10:40 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

From a reliability standpoint, I'd say it is more likely that the oil pan bearing would fail (one of the front half-shafts goes through the oil pan and is supported with a bearing in the pan). Our pan bearing failed at 58,000 miles, causing a vibration but no noise. In your case, a failed yoke seal (there are two) could have allowed water to enter the transfer case and fail the bearing.
I would make sure that they are on the hook to guarantee that the transfer case bearing replacement will fix the whining noise.
Old 11-13-19, 04:53 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Ok so you are in eastern Europe? Just like me , you cannot find a good independent mechanic near you ? Why are you wasting your money at the stealership, after my experience at the one in my city, it would be real difficult getting me in there again. It is too bad I am in lviv and there are no Lexus specific independent places here, if I was in Kyiv or Odessa it would be much easier. You are not too far away from Ukraine lots of people come here to fix they cars, I go yo a fancy place that does multibrand is owned by a guy that owns several deakershios and they do range rovers and Merc etc bcoz I can't find anyone else reliable in the city and their rate is 400 uah an hour.
Old 11-13-19, 07:50 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Originally Posted by Tec80
From a reliability standpoint, I'd say it is more likely that the oil pan bearing would fail (one of the front half-shafts goes through the oil pan and is supported with a bearing in the pan). Our pan bearing failed at 58,000 miles, causing a vibration but no noise. In your case, a failed yoke seal (there are two) could have allowed water to enter the transfer case and fail the bearing.
I would make sure that they are on the hook to guarantee that the transfer case bearing replacement will fix the whining noise.
Good points, thank you. I'll be sure to raise them. The mechanics did say there have been 3 similar cases, which hopefully means their diagnosis is more likely to be correct.

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Ok so you are in eastern Europe? Just like me , you cannot find a good independent mechanic near you ? Why are you wasting your money at the stealership, after my experience at the one in my city, it would be real difficult getting me in there again. It is too bad I am in lviv and there are no Lexus specific independent places here, if I was in Kyiv or Odessa it would be much easier. You are not too far away from Ukraine lots of people come here to fix they cars, I go yo a fancy place that does multibrand is owned by a guy that owns several deakershios and they do range rovers and Merc etc bcoz I can't find anyone else reliable in the city and their rate is 400 uah an hour.
I'm in Finland, no indie Lexus places here either. Ukraine's a little too far

I took the car to the dealership in Tallinn (harbour's not far and it's just 2 hours by ship), because not only is their hourly rate less than half of the dealership here, but they also have a more "why replace if you can repair" attitude.
Old 11-28-19, 09:56 PM
SpruceRain
Driver

It seems the transfer case was indeed the culprit. Not what you want to see on the magnetic drain plug:

Here's the rearwards support bearing for the axle to the front diff:

That's not how a bearing should look...the forward support bearing on the same axle is also making noise, while other bearings in the case are also at varying stages of wear. I decided to have all the worn bearings (7) replaced.

Considering the relatively low mileage (76k), at least compared to some other reportedly problem-free LS600hs out there, an issue like this is both surprising and disappointing.
Old 12-22-19, 02:56 PM
SpruceRain
Driver

Got the car back about a week ago; noise is gone as expected.

The transfer case was rebuilt, and its fluids were naturally replaced. The fluids need to replaced again after the new bearings have been broken in, which should take 2000-2500 km. While the mechanics were working on the car, they also noticed a coolant leak on the automatic transmission. In addition to fixing that, they replaced the transmission coolant, transmission oil, and also front/rear differential oils. Total cost for all of this was around 2300 USD, a little over half of which was parts and fluids. The service was excellent, and I highly recommend Lexus Tallinn.

Here's a bonus video of a rather poor bearing:
The following users liked this post:
stopdrpnro (01-30-21)