Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Rough Idle and Shudder after Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 07:36 AM
whaler62
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Rough Idle and Shudder after Seafoam

I went on a trip this past weekend and decide to take some initiative and clean the fuel system out on my 2010 RX450h. Mileage is about 117,000, so I thought it was probably worth the time to try and run some Sea Foam through the fuel system as well as use the Sea Foam spray treatment. I've done this before and had good results with other vehicles I've owned. I added the Sea Foam fuel treatment when I filled up before I left and drove a few hours. I took the spray treatment up with me. I added another fuel cleaner to the gas tank when I filled up to return and then took the time to do the spray treatment which is a little more involved.

I put the car in maintenance mode and had someone keep the RPM up above idle a little bit while I sprayed the Sea Foam into the throttle body. I disconnected the air intake and slipped the the tube of the Sea Foam between the air intake hose and throttle body and emptied the can. I turned the car off and let it hot soak. When I started it back up after reattaching everything, the car threw a CEL. I assumed that it was just due to having had the air intake off, but I did notice that whenever the car switched over to electric hybrid system from idling that the engine would almost violently shutoff (much more so than the usual shutoff). I hopped on the interstate and drove and noticed that when coasting that the engine would sometimes have hanging revs or that I'd get the rough almost violent idle again. When accelerating or using the gas engine, the car drove like normal. I got normal mileage. On the way, I stopped and when I started the car back the CEL came on again and this time the CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM and CHECK AWD SYSTEM came on.

I've dropped it a shop to get looked at. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I've never had a problem using Sea Foam on any vehicles before.