Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

New to me - 2008 RX400h - maintenance considerations

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-20, 01:50 PM
fatmike1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New to me - 2008 RX400h - maintenance considerations

My mother gave my daughter her 2008 RX400h. I wanted to check in to discuss what maintenance items I should consider. The car has 125K miles now. The car has a good track record of oil changes and the tires are new. The car will get limited mileage by a full-time college student.

I know I need to do brake fluid, cabin filter, engine filter. I plan to do these.

I am considering whether to spend the money on the timing chain and water pump. If I do that, then it seems like the right move is to also do spark plugs and the transmission fluid. I'm also considering not replacing the timing chain and taking a chance... Collectively I think those things are more than I want to spend on a car like this.

What is a realistic price to get these things done in the NorthEast? Should I use a dealer or find a competent independent?

What other maintenance items should I be considering? Engine Coolant? Inverter Coolant?

Appreciate your feedback.

/

Last edited by fatmike1; 01-01-20 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 12:09 PM
professorm
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The 400H uses a timing belt. You should get it replaced, along with the water pump, thermostat, cooling system fluid change in the inverter and the internal combustion engine. Change transmission fluid. I inspected my rear transmission fluid and it was pink, so I opted not to change it. My front was darkish, but not bad.

The spark plugs are hell to change on this car. I opt to leave them alone, and i have almost 170k miles now.

Standard tuneup items like you said: brake fluid. engine filter, cabin filter, etc
Inspect drive shaft boots, suspension components, etc.
Old 01-06-20, 08:50 AM
fatmike1
Driver School Candidate

It turns out the car had the timing belt done by a dealer in 2013. They did the water pump and engine coolant at that time. The inverter warranty repair was done, and with it the inverter coolant. I don't have the paperwork, but the dealer pulled the history so I trust that the work was done.

I am doing the following:

- Transmission Flush (full flush, not a drain/fill).
- Brake Fluid
- Spark Plugs
- PCV Valve
- Cabin and engine air filters

Which I think gets me current. So far I'm impressed with the car. I got over 30 mpg on the first tank of fuel by driving thoughtfully with the hybrid.

/
Old 01-06-20, 09:16 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Flush or drain and fill is useless compared to physically dropping the pan and replacing it with a clean one or, at the very least, clean out the crap that has built up in the bottom of the old one and add some new pan magnets in.
Old 01-06-20, 11:32 AM
fatmike1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Moisture
Flush or drain and fill is useless compared to physically dropping the pan and replacing it with a clean one or, at the very least, clean out the crap that has built up in the bottom of the old one and add some new pan magnets in.
Understood - thanks for the feedback.

/
Old 01-06-20, 02:42 PM
myw
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when doing the plugs, make sure to change the coil packs too. my tech advised against doing so and a year later the coil packs failed.

Originally Posted by professorm
The 400H uses a timing belt. You should get it replaced, along with the water pump, thermostat, cooling system fluid change in the inverter and the internal combustion engine. Change transmission fluid. I inspected my rear transmission fluid and it was pink, so I opted not to change it. My front was darkish, but not bad.

The spark plugs are hell to change on this car. I opt to leave them alone, and i have almost 170k miles now.

Standard tuneup items like you said: brake fluid. engine filter, cabin filter, etc
Inspect drive shaft boots, suspension components, etc.
Old 01-07-20, 05:07 AM
fatmike1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myw
when doing the plugs, make sure to change the coil packs too. my tech advised against doing so and a year later the coil packs failed.
Thanks for the note. I actually already did the service. I didn't change the coil packs because the dealer tech talked me out of it... Sorry you had that failure, I know the risk but hopefully I don't have the same problem!

My next issue is the stupid TPMS monitor. I want to find someone who can replace all 5 and just be done with the issue for a few years. I'm surprise you can't just disable the system by pulling a fuse or wire. (EDIT - Cosco did all 5 sensors and we finally have that light out!).

/

Last edited by fatmike1; 01-10-20 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-10-20, 11:13 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
This car does not have a pan, It is more like a old-style differential. Drain and fill is fine.
The following users liked this post:
fatmike1 (01-11-20)
Old 01-10-20, 11:15 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike1
Thanks for the note. I actually already did the service. I didn't change the coil packs because the dealer tech talked me out of it... Sorry you had that failure, I know the risk but hopefully I don't have the same problem!

My next issue is the stupid TPMS monitor. I want to find someone who can replace all 5 and just be done with the issue for a few years. I'm surprise you can't just disable the system by pulling a fuse or wire. (EDIT - Cosco did all 5 sensors and we finally have that light out!).

/
I ordered 5 from Amazon and had my local tire dealer install them. I purchased the Denso brand...Don't forget the spare tire....Works great now.
The following users liked this post:
fatmike1 (01-11-20)