Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Avoided some sort of Battery Catastrophe....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 06:32 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Avoided some sort of Battery Catastrophe....

So my fellow 450h owners. Here is a little story and then my questions at the end. Last night, pulled in the driveway and needed to get a bag out of the trunk, so I used the trunk release button inside the car (since the key was in my pocket), and for some reason got out of the car without actually shutting it off (the engine was off anyway as I coast in on battery power). My lights stay on for like 30 seconds or so as it is, so I didn't think twice about it as I went in the house. Well probably 45 minutes later, my neighbor knocks on the door asking me if I knew my car was still on. The lights were on, though the engine was not running, but I checked the battery level and it was down to two bars, so only a matter of time until the engine would have kicked on. Car started up fine this morning and drove normal, so all is good. My question is, I had taken the keys in the house with me. Now it was only like 20 feet away, but it was inside the house. Doesn't our car have some sort of power shut-down switch if the key is not in proximity of the car? Maybe 20 feet inside a house was still too close. Would the car just have kept the engine running all night to keep the battery charged? Could someone have gotten in the car and just drove away as it was unlocked, though I could swear I locked it. So that was my bonehead move of the evening last night. Usually, I do not get out until the seat and steering wheel retract away. I was probably too focused on popping the trunk. One last question, doesn't the trunk pop open if you push the little button think above the license plate, as long as you have the key with you? For some reason, it didn't seem to work yesterday.
Old 02-13-20, 10:00 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

That's strange. My car starts warning me that it'll shut down soon the moment I step outside the car with the keys.

As for the trunk, if one of the keys are inside the passenger cabin, then you cannot use the trunk button to open the trunk even if you're holding the other key (this happens to my wife all the time. I'd drop her off, she'd try to open the trunk but it doesn't work because I'm in the car). You either use the remote's button or the switch that's inside the passenger cabin.

Actually, this makes it sound like you have a spare key inside your car somewhere. You may want to search all the crooks and crannies.
Old 02-13-20, 01:19 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Well now I am stumped ChronoR. I will have to experiment with the car shutting down process when the key is outside the car. I have never tried to start the car without the key on me, but I do remember unlocking the hood cause I wanted to check something, locking the doors and going inside to get a drink or something. I left the key inside the house, so when I came out and went to open the hood (because it was already unlatched), lets just say the GS horn is very freaking loud. I didn't realize it would go off if I tried to open the hood. So with that said, I am questioning a key being left inside somewhere. Seems like I will continue to discover things I am unaware of. Am going to attempt to install LED foglights this weekend, and then fix the sunroof molding next weekend. Still really enjoy driving a sedan. Man, the car tracks so straight and turns so tight given the RWD.