Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Water getting to the hybrid battery!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-20, 10:28 AM
msidd7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water getting to the hybrid battery!

First-time poster, In bit of a trouble with my Rx.
Ive babied my Rx400 for the past 5 years and its been great to me. Its got almost 300k KM on it (~185k miles) and its going strong
Two weeks ago the car suddenly started skipping from what felt like loss of power to the wheels.
I drove to my mechanic close by and parked the car for him to see in the morning. In the morning, check hybrid system light came on along with bunch others.
The scan showed something to do with the rear 3 springs needing to be changed. $400 later and nothing fixed, he took out the rear seat on a hunch and found several puddles of water. Some even on or near hybrid wiring.
It had been raining non stop for 24 hours prior to this event. Hours of passive drying effort while staying away from battery, at times even using hairdryer, the car has started again and is driving normally, but i never found the leak. Im scared to use car wash or drive in the rain now, fearing the damage to car and wallet may be worse next time. I rather try diy fixes before i end up taking it to lexus. Any recommendations?
Old 02-16-20, 11:03 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

If you are going to try to find the water leaks yourself, then here are some basic tips. Having 2 people works best. One will be outside the car with a hose and the other will be inside looking for water coming in as the outside person sprays.. Do not use a nozzle on the hose that creates a high pressure stream. Rain does not have that kind of pressure and the gaskets around the door will leak from high pressure. On the inside, remove anything that you reasonably can. This will help you see if water is entering.

One thing I found is that in the rear of the car, if the tail light leaks, it creates a small lake in the back corner. When the water level gets high enough, it will slosh into the back seat area when you are driving the car and come to a stop. If this is happening to you, open the rear storage compartment lids and look in the bins that are on the outside edges. You will usually see water in them if this is happening. Sometimes the plastic nut holding the bin down might act as a seal to keep water out, so remove this nut and see if water starts coming in.
Old 02-16-20, 02:59 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Sunroof drain plugged
Old 03-27-20, 11:30 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

problem points on the roof
+ check rear door sealing and sun-roof