Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Hybrid Question/Thought of the Week

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 03:01 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

ECO only maxes out regen but it does seem like the "downshift" increases engine braking as well so it's not the same.
The following users liked this post:
Lwerewolf (02-21-20)
Old 02-22-20, 03:43 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, watched that Toyota Prius video on “B” braking, informative, but so glad I waited to buy a Lexus GS Hybrid. The GS just looks to me like a svelte looking Sedan. I washed it the other night as it was getting dark, and the next door 2 yr old was walking by and I heard him utter the words “shiny”, which is what my 7 year old Liquid Platinum still looks like. Back to downshifting versus drive mode changing. Believe it or not, I normally drive in Eco mode on my work commute. It takes me 25 to 30 minutes to go 8.7 miles, so I could almost ride a bike there quicker. But , I normally only change to Sport plus mode if I am stopped at a light. I never change modes while moving. Afraid I might hit a bump at the exact moment I am switching, and cause the whole system to break. One of those lightning striking the exact moment you are plugging something in things. I never use the normal or just sport modes though. Which ones do you all prefer?
Old 02-22-20, 09:20 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoR
ECO only maxes out regen but it does seem like the "downshift" increases engine braking as well so it's not the same.
Correct. If this was directed at me, please re-read my post. I never said Eco mode was similar to the B mode. I was just explaining what B mode is to the OP and I tried to provide some clarity around it based on my own research -- given that I have never owned/driven a Prius and used that function.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 02-24-20, 04:40 AM
ratobuza
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Using paddle shifters

I use the paddle shifters just like Hues10 described when braking/coming to a stop light. And just like he mentioned, downshifting (at a certain speed/point) does increase the recharge just like braking, so the assumption is that if the braking or engine deceleration occur within the blue "charging" area they'd have a similar effect on charging the traction battery. Of course I try to coast when coming to a stop as much as possible and progressively downshift to maintain the charge before the lower dash limit to avoid energy losses.

Re engine/transmission being damaged, since they're contolled by Toyota-set limiters, I kind of trust them