Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450H with a blown inverter. Got a used one and still won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 04:31 PM
Xenith
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aa4123
No I did not
if u still have it and have time would be interesting to see if there is any physical damage to the chips init liked the inverters get
Old 09-08-21, 09:55 PM
Xenith
Driver

Default Number two

Well finaly had time to carry out the testing of the wiring and signles for a blown hybrid ecu on my mates GS450h . I had already replaced the inverter and a few fueses . (dont hae a osilasope so skipped them)
came to the conclusion (which i alread had a hunch it was ) the hybrid ecu was bad. Took it to a mates who is a circuit board repairer he checked it over and said all looks ok . It may have just lost its program . So i went and got another ECU , fitted it . DId the 1/2 hr handshake (short jump wire from pin 4 to 13 on the OBD2 conector . Foot on brake IGN on for 1/2 hr IGN off then pull jump wire . Foot on brake IGN on again ) and all is well . I did go in and clear some codes but it went ok before that

Last edited by Xenith; 09-09-21 at 12:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
siansei (03-04-22)
Old 10-12-21, 12:53 PM
Mbison83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aa4123
Thank you so much for your help Lwerewolf. I used a multimeter and followed the repair manual (except the steps that require an oscilloscope) and came to the conclusion that the Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU was bad. The wiring harness checked out fine. So I bought a used ECU from the wreckers, installed it, did the ECU COMMUNICATION ID REGISTRATION (jump pins 4 and 13 on the OBD2 port for 30min with ignition on) and it started right up. I used Techstream to also write the car's VIN to the new ECU. All the codes are now gone.

Now the plan is to replace the thermal paste in the inverter (easy enough following Xenith's guide), do a coolant flush and hopefully the car will run reliably for at least another 10 years. Thanks again for the help guys, really appreciated.
Hello. Did you get the P0a7a code by chance? I have a RX450h with this code. Inverter was replaced but the code is still there. Could it be the ECU?
Old 10-13-21, 12:27 AM
aa4123
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbison83
Hello. Did you get the P0a7a code by chance? I have a RX450h with this code. Inverter was replaced but the code is still there. Could it be the ECU?
I don't think I got that code. Use Techstream to get the info code, then follow the steps in the repair manual to diagnose the issue.
Old 10-13-21, 04:34 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 252 Likes on 190 Posts

p0a7a on an rx450h... that's interesting. Could be a lot of things.

Which subcode, if I may ask? (p0a7a-122, for example)
Old 10-13-21, 09:23 PM
Xenith
Driver

Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by Mbison83
Don't think I got any codes once the inverter was replaced
Old 10-18-21, 05:03 PM
hybridguru
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same issue with a 2007 GS450h. The inverter blew up on the highway, visible burn marks and very strong odor after removing the top cover.

Replaced the inverter with a used one, engine wouldn't start but the car would go into ready mode once. Was getting codes U0110 and P0A1B Replaced the hybrid ecu, changed the VIN, did the "initialize" functon and jumped pin 4 and 13 for 30 minutes as suggested by @Xenith Now I'm only getting code P0A1A-792 as soon as I go ignition on. Will go into ready mode once and the car will move but engine will not start. Service manual advises to check each wire going to/from the inverter. Has anybody dealt with this code?
Old 10-19-21, 01:22 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Do the service manual thing. If that doesn't work... potential gearbox time.
Old 10-20-21, 05:36 PM
hybridguru
Driver School Candidate

Followed the service manual, checked the upper low voltage inverter connector resistance and shorts. Checked the wires between the generator resolver under the car and the low voltage connector for continuity and short to grounds. The wiring was ok and the next step says: Generator resolver not available separately, replace the hybrid transmission assembly.

Going to see if I can source it separately but a small part of me says it's better to replace the transmission because there could be internal damage.

petershen (10-21-21)
Old 10-21-21, 02:11 AM
petershen
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridguru
Followed the service manual, checked the upper low voltage inverter connector resistance and shorts. Checked the wires between the generator resolver under the car and the low voltage connector for continuity and short to grounds. The wiring was ok and the next step says: Generator resolver not available separately, replace the hybrid transmission assembly.
Going to see if I can source it separately but a small part of me says it's better to replace the transmission because there could be internal damage.
Hope you manage to find a good transmission, let us know how it goes.
Old 10-21-21, 02:35 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

You did check the pinouts on the connector on the transmission itself, right? Just in case - this failure is extremely unlikely.
Old 10-21-21, 11:24 PM
Xenith
Driver

Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by hybridguru
Had the same issue with a 2007 GS450h. The inverter blew up on the highway, visible burn marks and very strong odor after removing the top cover.

Replaced the inverter with a used one, engine wouldn't start but the car would go into ready mode once. Was getting codes U0110 and P0A1B Replaced the hybrid ecu, changed the VIN, did the "initialize" functon and jumped pin 4 and 13 for 30 minutes as suggested by @Xenith Now I'm only getting code P0A1A-792 as soon as I go ignition on. Will go into ready mode once and the car will move but engine will not start. Service manual advises to check each wire going to/from the inverter. Has anybody dealt with this code?
Not heard of that one so will drive in electric only . of interest dose the hybrid ecu need any (engine ready data) like fuel pressure etc to give the engine start signal I wonder . Not much help I know lol but just thinking out loud . Do u know that the second hand inverter is good . I would be testing it in another car or swaping the first board in the lower inverter control with Ur old one

This one

Last edited by Xenith; 11-27-21 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-23-21, 01:12 PM
hybridguru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by petershen
Hope you manage to find a good transmission, let us know how it goes.
LKQ, 630 + 50 core. 11-12 hrs labor though, should be here next week.
Old 10-23-21, 01:16 PM
hybridguru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
You did check the pinouts on the connector on the transmission itself, right? Just in case - this failure is extremely unlikely.
Followed the service manual exactly, tested the connector on the inverter then unplugged the connector for generator resolver on the transmission, tested with the transmission connector plugged in and tested with connector unplugged. According to service manual next step is transmission replacement.
Old 10-23-21, 01:20 PM
hybridguru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Xenith
Not heard of that one so will drive in electric only . Just out front now baby xoxo of interest dose the hybrid ecu need any (engine ready data) like fuel pressure etc to give the engine start signal I wonder . Not much help I know lol but just thinking out loud . Do u know that the second hand inverter is good . I would be testing it in another car or swaping the first board in the lower inverter control with Ur old one

This one
I think that's the board that on the old inverter that fried completely, I'll try to get some pictures of the old inverter. Part of the procedure for the P01A1 code is testing the inverter which tested ok, next part was wiring and then the manual makes an assumption that if the inverter is ok and the wiring is ok then it must be the generator resolver.
Xenith (10-25-21)

Quick Reply: GS450H with a blown inverter. Got a used one and still won't start.