Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Noise from my 2016 ES300h Please watch listen to video linked

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 06:51 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Noise from my 2016 ES300h Please watch listen to video linked

I thought i started a thread topic about this once but i can't find it i just realized how to upload a video to youtube then to link the video in here
please watch the link you will hear this cranking reaching type sound
this is when I'm coming to a complete stop not all the time but some of the time and then also sometimes when im at a red light i can just pump the brake peddle not letting up enough to disengage the brakes but just pump up and down slightly and it will start to do it then also
please help on this its been 3-4 months this has been happening it usually starts after i have been driving about 60 miles or so for an estimate then after its had a good bit of city stop and go driving is when it starts
dealership is having trouble duplicating it and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or anyone has an idea of what i can possible tell the service tech to perhaps when it is not making that noise everything works perfectly but then this starts after heavy city stop and go and then if the car has been stopped and turned off for several hours it will stop and won't repeat again until more stop and go traffic

Old 05-28-20, 01:41 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

One possibility is brakes. Weird noise for sure, but doing it when it has been driven but quiet when cold, and it is happening right before full stop is a brake indication. A lot of older drum brake cars/trucks make a similar sound. Old or inexpensive pads and rotors might be the culprit. Could also be a sign of riding the brakes and the surfaces are glazed.

Try driving around with your foot "off" of the brake pedal and try not to engage the brakes as much, then see if it does it.
Old 05-28-20, 04:21 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,115 Likes on 722 Posts

I had a very similar noise. Hard to replicate of course at the dealership. I used my phone voice recorder and got a good clear sound. Played it to my Lexus Service Manager and he said immediately you have air in your brake line. I had just had it in for the 30,000 mile service which includes flushing the brake fluid.
Old 05-28-20, 07:24 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by rmak
One possibility is brakes. Weird noise for sure, but doing it when it has been driven but quiet when cold, and it is happening right before full stop is a brake indication. A lot of older drum brake cars/trucks make a similar sound. Old or inexpensive pads and rotors might be the culprit. Could also be a sign of riding the brakes and the surfaces are glazed.

Try driving around with your foot "off" of the brake pedal and try not to engage the brakes as much, then see if it does it.
brakes look great they said pads look fine calipers are not seized up this was a flurida car for the first 3 and half years of its life also so no corrosion im up in Utah down
iv had brake fluid change its got 88k on it now and i did the brake fluid change on time each time as recommended and planing on doing it again right after they find out whats gong on with this since its just about 3k away from the next service for it.
it also happens after im stoped like i could be at a complete stop and it will do it when im stoped also so it doesn't always happen when stopping it could happen while stopped also with the slightest pressure on the brake peddle like lifting it enough to not release the caliper and not to move but then pressing it down the only time it does not happy in this situation is if its in park i could sit there for an hour engage and disengaging and the brake peddle and it will not happen during then.

I appreciate your reply here i will ask them if they checked the brakes also during this had oil change 5k ago and didn't have time for them to look into it further since i wasn't even happening at that time but 5k ago the brakes where perfect they said but ill ask them to check glaze on brakes also like suggested
Old 05-28-20, 07:33 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Freds430
I had a very similar noise. Hard to replicate of course at the dealership. I used my phone voice recorder and got a good clear sound. Played it to my Lexus Service Manager and he said immediately you have air in your brake line. I had just had it in for the 30,000 mile service which includes flushing the brake fluid.
did you have them do the brake fluid flush again to get the air out of the line ? and if they did it again did that work to get the noise to stop ?
I texted the audio video of this same video i posted here to the services advisor and he went and played the audio to his shop foreman and they didn't say anything about it being air in the brake fluid line the advisor said that both him and the foreman of the service department could hear it clearly and crisp when they listened and the foreman had never heard anything like this before

thanks for the reply here
Old 11-29-20, 11:54 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds and acts like the ABS actuator. which is expensive. This is a common problem, they burn out over time.
Old 10-12-21, 08:24 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
I thought i started a thread topic about this once but i can't find it i just realized how to upload a video to youtube then to link the video in here
please watch the link you will hear this cranking reaching type sound
this is when I'm coming to a complete stop not all the time but some of the time and then also sometimes when im at a red light i can just pump the brake peddle not letting up enough to disengage the brakes but just pump up and down slightly and it will start to do it then also
please help on this its been 3-4 months this has been happening it usually starts after i have been driving about 60 miles or so for an estimate then after its had a good bit of city stop and go driving is when it starts
dealership is having trouble duplicating it and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or anyone has an idea of what i can possible tell the service tech to perhaps when it is not making that noise everything works perfectly but then this starts after heavy city stop and go and then if the car has been stopped and turned off for several hours it will stop and won't repeat again until more stop and go traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EfDOBcbca4
Did you get it fixed and what was the final issue? I have the same problem. Thanks
Old 11-07-22, 03:13 PM
cs9530
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed this in my '14 ES300h (140k miles) in the last few months - a creaking noise when braking at slow speeds. I thought it was something in the suspension or body creak, but yesterday determined it only makes the noise when in gear (drive). If I'm going down an incline in drive, I get consistent creaking when applying the brake but in neutral, no creaking at all when braking.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this could be related to hybrid engine-braking?