Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

brake actuator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 02:01 PM
pbjisgood4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake actuator replacement

I Have a 2008 rx400h with 178K miles on it. Recently the brake actuator was making noise(Sqawking noise). I had a local shop check it out. When I brought the car to them no lights were on but then when I picked it up it had 5 lights on and the brakes felt a lot different. (ABS, VSC, BRAKE, skid, triangle lights all on w/ check VSC system message were all on.). I'm not sure what they did to it but brakes seemed to be super touchy and brakes would grab as soon as you pressed them. They said they couldn't do anything and that I would have to take it to the dealer. I'm thinking they may have tried to bleed it and messed the brakes up.
Took it to dealer and they quoted me $2900 to fix it. Said brake actuator was bad. Apparently there was a warranty enhancement for it but they said it expired at 150K miles. I contacted lexus corporate and they were no help. Paid them the diagnostic and decided to take it home.

Bought a used brake actuator online and had a 3rd party mechanic install it. He bleed brakes and ran techstream and couldn't get lights off.
He said code C1345 was still on, he said skid control ecu would probably need to be replaced.
I replaced skid control ECU myself with a used one. As soon as I drove the car I noticed a difference in the brakes. It felt like they did before the brake actuator went out.I thought I had it fixed the issue but all lights were still on.

I ran the reset memory on techstream to clear codes and get the lights off and then ran linear solenoid valve calibration. It starts to countdown from 120 seconds and makes brake noises and lights flicker and then at about 31 seconds before it ends the lights stop blinking and you hear the dinging noise(Same noise you hear when you put the keys in). The countdown continues to 0 but the car doesn't make any noises and the lights don't blink. Now when I drive it it feels like it did before I replaced the Skid Control ECU. I check the codes and C1345 (Linear Solenoid Valve Offset Learning Undone) and C1368 (Linear Solenoid Valve Offset) are still on.

I'm not sure what to do from here. I thought replacing the brake actuator and skid control ECU would fix the issue and I could get the lights off. Maybe I'm doing something wrong on the calibration side?
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-02-20, 04:27 PM
777rx400h
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Toyota offers a 150K warranty enhancement on a 12 yr old car?
Old 06-03-20, 06:47 AM
pbjisgood4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do on the brake actuator since they deemed that certain ones were considered faulty. It’s a common issue in the Toyota Prius as well as the highlander hybrids, which is essentially has the same parts. It’s not a recall and they will only fix it if it goes out. I think it expired in January 2019 but if you are under 150k miles they’ll still fix it. They call it a warranty enhancement program. It’s not super well publicized but you can find complaints from people online about their brake actuators going out in the middle of driving.
Old 06-04-20, 09:41 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by pbjisgood4
... But if you are under 150k miles they’ll still fix it. ...
no
================
The following users liked this post:
Bigguy818 (01-23-23)
Old 06-04-20, 07:01 PM
2jzdc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think mine makes that sound as well, been driving it since I bought it at 135,000, if I knew that it was a warranty enhancement, I would have taken it in. The brakes on the RX feels so weird compared to other cars, the previous owner replaced the actuator so I never really thought anything of it.