Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

What problems have you had with your ES300h

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 09:16 PM
Travaeller
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink I especially like the interior!

Originally Posted by losiglow
I'm curious, for those with the hybrid model, what mechanical or electrical problems have you had? I'm not so much interested in small things like rattles, lights burning out, weather stripping coming off, headlights fogging up. I'm talking about things like wheel bearings, suspension parts, internal engine and hybrid components, stuff like that. Serious dollar stuff. I plan on putting a lot of miles on this car and would like to know what chronic problems other owners have had.

Good news is, when searching for problems with this car, not much of anything comes up in Google searches or YouTube videos. Whereas, if you type in the same thing for other vehicles, you'll get a pretty good list or several videos of issues that other owners have come across. That's positive but I thought I would throw this out there in caseacase owners on the forum have had any significant issues and what you did to fix it (dealer, warranty, do-it-yourself, independent mechanic, etc).
-I have owned a 2017 Lexus ES300h for almost 7 full years. I have had no mechanical problems at all. I do not go to the dealer for service because they are expensive. -Yesterday I went in to Tire Kingdom for a 65,000 service. They told me my auxiliary battery was in danger of dying on me. It was drawing too much power to start the car and not recharging, etc. That was something Tire Kingdom doesn't fix.in the Lexus. So I took the car in for Lexus service. I didn't know the Lexus hybrid had two batteries! The auxiliary batteries are said to last 3 or 4 years. Mine was still working after 7 years! It cost $482 for the axiliary battery + service + tax. That one is the cheap battery. The other battery costs a few thousand dollars to replace. That expensive battery is said to last 10 or 11 years.
-The hybrid aspect of the car is nice because you don't have to get gas so often. Don't buy a hybrid to save money on the gas because you will never save enough to recover the extra cost you paid to have a hybrid.
-When the car was new, I got about 38 mpg. Now I'm getting about 32 or 33 mpg.
-There are a lot of things I don't like about the car. (I bought the car because I liked the color of the interior; tan and dark brown. Most cars have really, really ugly colors!)
I would prefer to have a regular key (rather than a key fob) so that I could hide one on the outside of the car. If you hide a fob on the outside of your car, the car won't lock.
Every time I get in and out of the seat, the seat changes position. This annoys me every time it does it! Hey, I put the seat where I want it because that is where I want it!
Just because I turn the car off doesn't mean the car is really off. Sometimes I have had to turn it off five times before it is really off. At least the door won't lock if the ignition is still running. Making sure the ignition is truly off is something I have to pay close attention to.

There's more, but I've gotta go...
Old 11-29-23, 12:14 AM
DeriaHe
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
I picked up a 2013 ES300h almost a year ago with 70,000 miles. It now has about 101,000 miles. No issues except an occasional startup problem where I get significant vibrations. But it goes away quickly.

Sometimes when I drive On highways I can feel a steady pulsing which I think is probably related to the battery powering the drivetrain.

Haven’t seen a CEL yet.
the vibraiton when you drive at high speed may be exact the same with mine.
Old 11-29-23, 06:59 AM
Myshkyn
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Travaeller
Every time I get in and out of the seat, the seat changes position. This annoys me every time it does it! Hey, I put the seat where I want it because that is where I want it!
You can turn off that easy entry and easy exit feature in current models. I think the 2017 should also have that ability. Probably something like Setup -> Vehicle -> Customization -> Easy exit slide -> Off.
Old 12-14-23, 03:20 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Travaeller
-I have owned a 2017 Lexus ES300h for almost 7 full years. I have had no mechanical problems at all. I do not go to the dealer for service because they are expensive. -Yesterday I went in to Tire Kingdom for a 65,000 service. They told me my auxiliary battery was in danger of dying on me. It was drawing too much power to start the car and not recharging, etc. That was something Tire Kingdom doesn't fix.in the Lexus. So I took the car in for Lexus service. I didn't know the Lexus hybrid had two batteries! The auxiliary batteries are said to last 3 or 4 years. Mine was still working after 7 years! It cost $482 for the axiliary battery + service + tax. That one is the cheap battery. The other battery costs a few thousand dollars to replace. That expensive battery is said to last 10 or 11 years.
-The hybrid aspect of the car is nice because you don't have to get gas so often. Don't buy a hybrid to save money on the gas because you will never save enough to recover the extra cost you paid to have a hybrid.
-When the car was new, I got about 38 mpg. Now I'm getting about 32 or 33 mpg.
-There are a lot of things I don't like about the car. (I bought the car because I liked the color of the interior; tan and dark brown. Most cars have really, really ugly colors!)
I would prefer to have a regular key (rather than a key fob) so that I could hide one on the outside of the car. If you hide a fob on the outside of your car, the car won't lock.
Just because I turn the car off doesn't mean the car is really off. Sometimes I have had to turn it off five times before it is really off. At least the door won't lock if the ignition is still running. Making sure the ignition is truly off is something I have to pay close attention to.

There's more, but I've gotta go...
2013 es300h here with 257k miles, original 12v battery and original traction hybrid battery with no issues. These engines can easily go to 500k miles.
The following users liked this post:
LexTess (12-22-23)
Old 12-16-23, 03:29 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
I have 2014 ES300h with 115k. The only problem was sunroof rattle at around 100k that I fixed with a new sunroof rubber gasket ($50 part).

And my brake rotors seem to rust quickly since I do not use them much (I live in rust belt).

The dealer also did some ECM software update under TSB at 60k.

Also I have some rattles in the driver's door that I am still procrastinating to fix.

The dealer also did the TSB for ventilated seats but there was minimal improvement - the ventilated seats just don't work well on this generation ES period.
Update since my last post (160k on the odometer now):
  • One parking brake cable froze and had to be replaced (cheap part but PITA to replace)
  • Radiator had to be replaced (slow leak due to warpage of the plastic cap)
  • Stainless steel muffler rusted through (expensive part but easy to replace)
  • Lots are rusted solid fasteners. Even the drain plug for transmission coolant froze solid and had to be drilled out.

Last edited by NdYAG; 12-16-23 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-17-23, 03:50 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

nothing

only normal wear things, tires, suspension
Old 12-17-23, 04:04 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Suspension? In my book this is not a normal wear item. It can be designed to last more than 300k miles and on modern Toyota/Lexus vehicles it mostly does.

What did you have to replace?
Old 12-18-23, 08:39 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Also depends on if you drive mostly highway or in city with bad road cobdtions and potholes. Highway driving can last 300-400k

City driving can wear out struts shocks top strut mount, sway bar end links, lower cointrol arm include ball joint in 80-150k
Old 12-18-23, 08:48 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

So have you had to replace all those? At what mileage? And what were the symptoms?

Just trying to figure out what to be on lookout for.
Old 12-18-23, 05:07 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Front and rear struts dont last forever.

I had to change at 220k miles but I started to feel them go bad at 160k, depends if you want a perfect ride or can tolerate the ride not as good as day 1.

First signs the ide is not as comfortable then noises.

Struts and top strut mounts go first but I would also recommend to do sway bar links at same time.

Lower control arm which includes lower ball joint may go later also, look for cracks at rubber bushing areas.
Old 12-21-23, 01:22 PM
Aegean
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Next month my 300h becomes 11 year old with 96k miles. The only part I changed was the $50 moonroof gasket cause it was making a noise. No other repairs. Still on original brake pads and even light bulbs.

Maintenance included oil changes, air and cabin filters, brake fluid change, a set of tires and a 12v battery which was fine but at 9.5 years I was worried.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aegean:
LexTess (12-22-23), NdYAG (12-21-23)
Old 12-26-23, 07:38 AM
DKCoker
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry unexplained warning light about hybrid system.

We have been happy with our 2013 ES300h until recently. The warning light indicator came on "check hybrid system" -orange, not red. We brought it to an authorized Lexus service & they checked everything out, we paid $4,000. Then the light came back on a few weeks after later. We brought it in again. This time they kept the car fo4 6+ weeks; they said they were waiting to hear from the headquarters (?) mechanics. They eventually turned the light off and we have the car again. Then the light came back on 2 weeks later. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 12-28-23, 11:20 AM
matelot
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DKCoker
....we paid $4,000....
come again ? for what ?
Old 12-30-23, 10:07 PM
Lead Lap

Received 778 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by matelot
come again ? for what ?