Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h 2013 Base system Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 03:04 PM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ES300h 2013 Base system Upgrade?

Hi,

My car has the black and white display with no controller in the center console.

As it is a 2013, it is very easy today to get an used and original Premium Display and the center console controller (rotary or mouse) from a salvaged car or eBay. I was looking last night and probably can get both items for less than $400.

The question is... has anyone attempted this upgrade?

I don’t know if the cables will be there waiting for me or if additional programming should be done after installation.

Im thinking of calling the dealer just to get an idea of feasibility and needed hardware (then purchasing somewhere else), but wanted to see if someone here has done the research already...
Old 07-25-20, 07:26 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

I do not think dealer would be of much help. Your best bet is to study the wiring diagrams and then open up your dashboard and see what cable are already there.

This base level ES was not even available in the continental USA afaik (at least it was not in the official e-brochure) - this may complicate looking at the diagrams.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...S-Brochure.pdf

The following users liked this post:
perezdr (07-25-20)
Old 07-25-20, 08:17 PM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, will dig into the dashboard tomorrow and look for the diagrams....
Old 07-25-20, 09:21 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

This may help:

https://cardiagn.com/lexus-es200-es2...ring-diagrams/
perezdr (07-25-20)
Old 07-26-20, 05:07 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Diagrams for ES300h:

https://cardiagn.com/lexus-es350-es3...ring-diagrams/
Old 07-26-20, 07:15 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG

This base level ES was not even available in the continental USA afaik (at least it was not in the official e-brochure).

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...S-Brochure.pdf
That statement is not correct. The 2013 ES was available as a base version for the an advertised MSRP of a couple of thousand dollars less than $40,000. Then, there was an available Premium package, which added a few things, such as wood trim, keyless entry, and memory seats. That package added, I believe, around $1000 to the MSRP. And, further up the line, there was the available Luxury package and Ultra Luxury package.

That is what the brochure that you linked to says, and it is also what the brochure that I still have from the 2013 ES that I previously owned says.

For the 2013 model year (and for the other years of the Generation 6 model years), most ES built were either Premium package ES or Luxury package ES. Base ES and Ultra Luxury ES were built in much smaller numbers.

The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
NdYAG (07-26-20), perezdr (07-26-20)
Old 07-26-20, 10:36 AM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Ok, Investigation completed... not good news for me but at least I can now sleep at night.

The harness I have in my car is missing the particular connector that plugs into the remote control. This connector is the H95 in the diagrams.

I was able to find the connector in the diagram but it is not in my car. -- the harness is not as pictured, so it must be simpler for the Base model version...

The connector I was hoping to see is in the following picture marked with the red square, the other two connectors just below that cable branch are there doing their actual job, but not just that one I was looking for (H95).

I was hoping that if the hardware was there, then a plug and play scenario was possible and was hoping to buy the parts on eBay. As of yesterday that would be like $350 dollars in used parts.

The connector missing put the case to rest as it seems this was designed from the start to be less complicated and if that cable if missing I can only imagine that other pieces like a special computer (ECU) part must be missing as well.

Thanks for the heads up with the wire diagrams! It made all the difference even if I ended up using the ones on the TIS website where they had step by step disassembly instructions and other amazing information.
Old 07-26-20, 10:48 AM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

A company I'm talking with is providing the following solution, but I'm in conversations to see if it makes sense.

This is what they replied to my initial questions and sent the following pictures.

If your Lexus ES does not have mouse control, we have the unit with mouse control to fit your car, you can check it via the first video on this page: https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/andro...et-navigation/

I'm asking for a price and an installation manual to convince myself before purchasing anything...

Old 07-26-20, 12:10 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Does your car look like this? The CD player / HVAC control panel looks totally different from a car with either of the other two styles color screens. That would complicate upgrading to Navigation even more.

Going with Android head unit would be my choice in your case.
Old 07-26-20, 12:17 PM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Yes. I learned during this research that there are two types of radios/ac units. One they call “with multimedia” and one simpler w/o multimedia.

This is my car:
(Without multimedia)

Old 07-26-20, 12:21 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Well, at least you do get an AC button.

But the LCD screen on a car like this is definitely an abomination.
Old 07-26-20, 12:25 PM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Totally agree with the screen opinion. Hence this post and the investigation done.

Will research aftermarket options like the one above! They go between $550 and $750 these days I see.
Old 07-29-20, 06:51 AM
perezdr
Driver School Candidate

Ordered the aftermarket system from DVDGPSNAV and waiting shipping. Will use this thread to document experience both with transaction with seller and with the unit in general.
NdYAG (07-29-20)
Old 08-06-20, 08:14 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I've got the same model as yours and yes, the original screen is an abomination. I had it replaced with an aftermarket Windows CE-based nav unit with a rotary controller. There are also Android-based units available now.

The climate control console and coin holder panel have to come off. It's a ton of work and I'm glad I didn't have to DIY it. My installer removed the rear seat bottom cushions to run a video cable from the aftermarket reverse camera to the front. They also installed a DVD player in the glovebox. The setup uses the existing amp and Bluetooth controllers but with a separate USB input - the center box USB ports can only be used for charging.
Old 08-06-20, 10:24 PM
mrlexus12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I've got the same model as yours and yes, the original screen is an abomination. I had it replaced with an aftermarket Windows CE-based nav unit with a rotary controller. There are also Android-based units available now.

The climate control console and coin holder panel have to come off. It's a ton of work and I'm glad I didn't have to DIY it. My installer removed the rear seat bottom cushions to run a video cable from the aftermarket reverse camera to the front. They also installed a DVD player in the glovebox. The setup uses the existing amp and Bluetooth controllers but with a separate USB input - the center box USB ports can only be used for charging.
got a picture of the setup? LCD fits into your dashboard?

Quick Reply: ES300h 2013 Base system Upgrade?