Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2016 ES hybrid AC ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 12:52 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 2016 ES hybrid AC ?

I was reading some info that the AC system is not the same in the hybrid as the regular fuel model because the AC needs to stay on even when the car goes into EV mode
I also know the fan speeds adjust between differently from eco mode and normal and sport mode
but the thing I’m worried or wondering about is how come the AC in a car that’s still so new only 4 years old seems to get colder when Driving moving
I’m wondering should I get it charged or if it wasn’t charged enought could I get a warning or soemthing ?
this is also summer weather like it’s Bren 100 degree in average each summer day

thank you for any help ya pal can give me here
Old 08-02-20, 04:27 PM
CigarGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more air you have moving across the condenser the colder it will be. Make sure the fans are working.
Old 08-06-20, 07:59 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The hybrid's AC compressor runs off the high voltage battery, it's not like a typical compressor that's powered by a belt connected to the engine. You should check if there's enough coolant or if there's a leak somewhere. I've had my ESh for six years now and I haven't had any issues with the AC.

Eco mode also restricts AC usage. If it's a really hot day, you should probably switch to Normal mode and open the windows to get rid of hot air, if your car has been parked outside for a while.
Old 08-08-20, 09:45 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

The Hybrid HVAC compressor is powered by the 288v traction battery and runs at
the optimal speed for steady refrigerant pressurization. A really elegant solution to
the long standing problem of Air Conditioning a hot car. The traditional conundrum
is that when the parked and hot car needs maximum cooling but the IC engine is just
starting up and idling it takes a vastly over sized compressor to build up the head
pressure needed. Once you are moving and the belts are driven by an engine that
is turning 2 to 3 thousand RPM you have way too much capacity. Add to that the entire
system weighs too much. Similar mismatch of RPM to load requirements affect the power
steering pump, lots of effort needed to parallel park but an idling motor. Corvettes used to
have a PS cooler because at high engine speeds the steering was not requiring hardly any
boost
The following users liked this post:
NdYAG (08-08-20)
Old 08-09-20, 07:47 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
The hybrid's AC compressor runs off the high voltage battery, it's not like a typical compressor that's powered by a belt connected to the engine. You should check if there's enough coolant or if there's a leak somewhere. I've had my ESh for six years now and I haven't had any issues with the AC.

Eco mode also restricts AC usage. If it's a really hot day, you should probably switch to Normal mode and open the windows to get rid of hot air, if your car has been parked outside for a while.
yes I'm aware of the Eco mode lowering the power of the AC.
coolant is good level no leaks or anything