Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

ES300h 120,000 mile service question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 09:00 AM
msherman29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300h 120,000 mile service question

I tried searching for this, but could not find anything out about it. If this has already been discussed and I missed it, my apologies. My local Lexus dealer wants to charge around $850 for the 120,000 mile service on my 2013 ES300h. Can anyone tell me if this is something I can have done at a repair shop that is used to working on Lexus, or even a Toyota dealership for less? Or, is this one pretty dealer specific? This is a pretty extensive service, which I expect to cost a little more, but the price still seems pretty high. I've tried to keep my servicing with the dealership for better accuracy of records keeping, covering anything that is dealer-specific, needing to use loaner cars due to my job and better reporting for resale value, but this seems excessive. Any advice would be appreciated. For reference, below is what Lexus recommends for this service:
FACTORY RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR 120K MILES /144MONTHS
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Inverter Coolant
    ( Initial inverter coolant replacement at 150,000 miles/180 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter.)
  • Inspect Visually, Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Inspect /Adjust All Fluid Levels
    (Inspect sealed transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials for signs of leakage. If any leakage from a sealed component is suspected, it is recommended that you have the sealed component inspected by a Toyota dealer. Inspect power steering fluid (if equipped) and brake fluid level/condition. Inspect engine and inverter (if equipped) coolant level/condition/freezing point. Your dealer may recommend services (Dealer-Recommended Maintenance) based on inspection results.)
  • Inspect Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
    (Thickness Measurement And Runout.)
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box/Rack And Pinion
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Smart Key Battery
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Spark Plugs
    (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.)
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)
  • Visually Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
Old 08-08-20, 09:47 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 131 Posts

Any shop can do it as long as they know how to find and follow directions.

Air filters and engine oil are straightforward. Spark plugs are super easy - but make sure they use OEM (Denso FK16HR-A8) ones. If they insist on using aftermarket - walk away as they would be cutting corners everywhere else.

The only tricky item is the brake fluid flush. There is special procedure to bleed the rear brakes that requires special software (although there is also a procedure how to do it without - search this forum if ineterested). Toyota dealership is definitely qualified to do it.

Frankly Lexus is crazy asking 30k/2year change interval - especially on the hybrid where brakes are knot used as much. If it was changed at 90k then I would wait until 150k to change it.

All the inspections should take ~15 minutes except brake linings - which should not be inspected at all as long as your parking brake is working.

At 120k I would recommend a transmission fluid drain/refill if it was not done before. Make sure the OEM fluid is used.

Do you have a lot of dust or pet hairs in your car? Inspecting the hybrid battery fan with a borescope may be a good idea (5 minute job) at this mileage.
The following 3 users liked this post by NdYAG:
chromedome (08-08-20), msherman29 (08-21-20), Sunyride (01-25-21)
Old 08-08-20, 04:28 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

msherman29 That price sounds way too high. Go to a Toyota dealer and get a price, they can do the work. If you want a Lexus dealer to do it, and there is one near you, I'd get a 2nd price.
The following users liked this post:
msherman29 (08-21-20)
Old 08-09-20, 08:10 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

if your dead set on lexus dealer or toyota dealer wich i think is a good idea for piece of mind.
google Costco auto service discount if you have a costco membership if you don't id say pay the 55 or 60 bucks for the membership it pays off for me because discounts on rental cars discounts on auto services at some dealerships.
there is a good chance the lexus or Toyota dealership in your area might be part of the program sometimes not but most areas i have found they are.
and that you go online fill in your membership info the dealership and your make of car always use the postal code of the dealership itself cause if your like 30 miles from the dealership and use your own zip code it might say not available in your area.
but if there is a dealership in your area in the program that will give a saving of 15% of service.
also you can ask them for discount if you are a regular they have some leeway usually my dad just had the rear shocks replaced on his 2012 RX at JM lexus in Florida and they gave him a price of 232 per side and i told him to ask them about a discount anything they can do since he comes there for simple oil changes when he could go somewhere else for 10 or 20 bucks cheaper they ended up giving him 50 off the shock replacement work.

I go to lexus dealerships because i have learned they take care of loyal customers ill explain i go for my oil changes and other services and had been doing so for the last 8 years every city i have lived in
last year in December i needed to have the driver door mirror glass replaced cause it started leaking the car was under 4 years old at the time but it had 65k so it was out of the basic warranty that would cover that.
THe dealerhsip contacted lexus and asked them to do something for me since i was a good customer lexus looked at my service history and lexus send the dealership a new mirror glass which would have cost me around 500 dollars i think and the dealership put it on without charging me which would have been another 75 so after tax it would have cost me around 600-650 dollars but because i spend the extra 20-30 dollars each time i go to lexus for services they took care of me.

back when their was a issue with the sticky dash they called it that would have a issue on my 5th gen ES before they even put into affect that extend warranty on that part for that issue lexus send the dealership a dash at the cost of 1600 dollars and the dealership did the labor on it for free no charge. so again that helped me

I have heard how they replaced the water pump only have the customer have to pay for the part and lexus did the labor on it and have heard other things also.

SHoot right after the airbag recall was completed on my 5th gen which caused lexus to put me in a rental car for 7-8 months until they could do the air bag recall yes lexus gave me a loaner car for 8 months almost
well when the recall was finally completed i went for an allighment and my rear control lateral links where seized up and had to be replaced lexus pay for that to be done parts and labor all on my 2007 ES350 with 198k on it at the time
so this is why ill keep going to lexus for my work

they also allow me to bring my own parts and don't give me trouble about so ill continue to go to lexus
msherman29 (08-21-20)
Old 08-18-20, 10:06 AM
msherman29
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, this is really helpful, especially on the OEM spark plugs. That could've spelled trouble down the road if I hadn't have gotten the right set.
Old 08-18-20, 10:16 AM
msherman29
Driver School Candidate

Geez, that's really good to know! I've been doing the same with mine, but this is the first time it has cost this much for scheduled maintenance. I figure it has to pay off in the long run, but man that's a lot out of the pocket book. I'm glad to know that they see that and take care of their people.
Old 08-18-20, 10:21 AM
msherman29
Driver School Candidate

Default Helpful Update from OP

I wanted to share what I found on this, because it may be market specific to wear I live (Central Texas), but if it applies anywhere else, this could be helpful info. I shopped around for prices and everyone is right about the same price or higher!. The Toyota dealership was actually higher and didn't offer as many other things in the service (replacing batteries on the remotes, inspecting all of the systems, etc.), not to mention the lack of loaner car that I will need for work. A local Japanese car-specializing auto shop quoted $30 less and wanted to keep the car for 2 days! So, ironically, the Lexus dealership is by far the best deal, so I'm going to stick with them on it.
Old 08-26-20, 03:33 PM
SpaceGravy
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msherman29
I tried searching for this, but could not find anything out about it. If this has already been discussed and I missed it, my apologies. My local Lexus dealer wants to charge around $850 for the 120,000 mile service on my 2013 ES300h. Can anyone tell me if this is something I can have done at a repair shop that is used to working on Lexus, or even a Toyota dealership for less? Or, is this one pretty dealer specific? This is a pretty extensive service, which I expect to cost a little more, but the price still seems pretty high. I've tried to keep my servicing with the dealership for better accuracy of records keeping, covering anything that is dealer-specific, needing to use loaner cars due to my job and better reporting for resale value, but this seems excessive. Any advice would be appreciated. For reference, below is what Lexus recommends for this service:
FACTORY RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR 120K MILES /144MONTHS
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Inverter Coolant
    ( Initial inverter coolant replacement at 150,000 miles/180 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter.)
  • Inspect Visually, Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Inspect /Adjust All Fluid Levels
    (Inspect sealed transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials for signs of leakage. If any leakage from a sealed component is suspected, it is recommended that you have the sealed component inspected by a Toyota dealer. Inspect power steering fluid (if equipped) and brake fluid level/condition. Inspect engine and inverter (if equipped) coolant level/condition/freezing point. Your dealer may recommend services (Dealer-Recommended Maintenance) based on inspection results.)
  • Inspect Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
    (Thickness Measurement And Runout.)
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box/Rack And Pinion
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Smart Key Battery
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Spark Plugs
    (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.)
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)
  • Visually Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
The inverter is the big-ticket item on that list and that should be done at the dealer but the rest of those things could easily be done by a qualified mechanic, dealer or not. On a side note, how much are they charging for this service? Oops...just saw...$850. At the very least, take it to a Toyota dealer and have it done as that is quite outrageous.
Old 08-27-20, 11:04 AM
msherman29
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, it was crazy. Lexus quoted me $850 for the service, but ended up charging me $775. The toyota dealership quoted me $950, and a local shop that specializes in Japanese cars and has a great reputation quoted me $800 and said they would need it for a couple of days to do it. The Lexus dealership was actually the least expensive option.
Old 08-27-20, 11:19 AM
msherman29
Driver School Candidate

Oh, and thanks for responding. I appreciate it
Old 08-27-20, 01:40 PM
SpaceGravy
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msherman29
Oh, and thanks for responding. I appreciate it
No worries bud. Glad to help (if I can).
msherman29 (08-27-20)