Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

RX 450h Fluttering at Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 08:42 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts
Default RX 450h Fluttering at Speed

I’m noticing that I’m getting a fluttering feeling while driving at 55 mph+. It almost feel like a tire out of balance, but it’s not as intrusive as that. It only happens at certain speeds on the highway & if the pavement is rough, it can’t be felt.

I had a Buick that had a lockup torque converter (for better mpg) & I would get this light fluttering sensation around 50 mph when the torque converter would begin to lock. They had a service campaign that changed the shift points & my mpg went way down, so I had them change it back. This feels just like that. I’ve also noticed I get this flutter sometimes at a red light when the engine is trying to shut down.

Has anyone else had this weird sensation on their hybrid? Can I live with it? Yes, but it wasn’t there when I bought the car new. I realize this could be almost anything, so that’s why I’m asking if anyone else has had this issue...
Old 09-10-20, 10:57 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Have you already taken your car to a tire shop and asked them to rotate and rebalance?
Old 09-10-20, 11:22 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Taking it there today to rule out tires & wheels
Old 09-12-20, 12:27 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

So I went back to Discount Tire & sure enough, two wheels were off - one more than 1oz!! I can no longer endorse Discount Tire. First, they scratched all 4 of my wheels. Then, they had to replace 2 of my replaced wheels, as the finish was peeling off after just one year. This is when they also didn’t properly balance the wheels. The last 2 times I was at that particular store, the shop guys were literally running everywhere, jumping around & yelling like wild banshees! How could any of them possibly be doing quality work?! F’n idiots!

so my highway driving is smooth now, but occasionally, I’m still getting the shaking at a light, but the engine doesn’t shut off. I have no idea why it’s so random or what causes it to do that.
Old 09-12-20, 12:49 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
So I went back to Discount Tire & sure enough, two wheels were off - one more than 1oz!! I can no longer endorse Discount Tire. First, they scratched all 4 of my wheels. Then, they had to replace 2 of my replaced wheels, as the finish was peeling off after just one year. This is when they also didn’t properly balance the wheels. The last 2 times I was at that particular store, the shop guys were literally running everywhere, jumping around & yelling like wild banshees! How could any of them possibly be doing quality work?! F’n idiots!

so my highway driving is smooth now, but occasionally, I’m still getting the shaking at a light, but the engine doesn’t shut off. I have no idea why it’s so random or what causes it to do that.
Check your 12V battery voltage. It may be low due to less driving or age and causing your engine to stay on just to charge the battery. Should be an AGM battery so you can just charge it back up if low.
Old 09-12-20, 01:01 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Check your 12V battery voltage. It may be low due to less driving or age and causing your engine to stay on just to charge the battery. Should be an AGM battery so you can just charge it back up if low.
If that were the case, wouldn’t it not start or give me some kind of warning light/message?
Old 09-12-20, 01:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

If that were the case, wouldn’t it not start or give me some kind of warning light/message?
I never got a warning. If you don't have a multimeter I think Auto Zone still does the free check for you. The battery is under the trunk floor on the left side if I remember correctly.
Old 09-14-20, 07:18 AM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

We are sorry to learn of your experience at the store. It sounds like they made it right by replacing the wheels and the re-balance fixed the vibrations at highway speeds, however, we would like to share your feedback with the regional office, PM on the way.
The following 2 users liked this post by Discount Tire:
gadgetman1 (09-16-20), JSracer (09-15-20)
Old 09-16-20, 12:42 PM
Nogee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gadgetman1,

Please take a look at my thread. I had similar symptoms where I thought I had fuel problems or warped rotors. Eventually had it resolved with Lexus. I have only seen these symptoms reported by very few owners. Good Luck https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ng-engine.html
Old 09-16-20, 02:01 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
doesn’t work like that.
Old 09-16-20, 02:46 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by 703
doesn’t work like that.
ok, care to elaborate?
Old 09-16-20, 05:02 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by 703
doesn’t work like that.
Please share how it does work or what you think might be going on.