Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Throttle controllers

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20 | 06:22 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Default Throttle controllers

Anyone install a throttle controller on their RX450h?

I really hate how laggy the vehicle feels whenever I step on the accelerator pedal. The tip in is best described as "leisurely" when taking off in "normal" mode, forget about "eco mode".

And there's no way of setting the "power" mode on permanently, that I can find. Everytime I restart the vehicle, it's back to the "normal" setting.

I just don't find the normal throttle response gratifying to drive. I tend to step on the throttle deliberately much harder than my other vehicle, and as a consequence, the engine suddenly realises it has to work, and revs itself out very ungraciously.

So, I am thinking of installing a throttle controller. There appears to be lots on the market. Just wondering if anyone has done it.

The other reason why I don't want to select "sport" mode is that it does raise the operating voltage of the battery pack, which may wear out the batteries prematurely. I'm willing to sacrifice some gas mileage just to get a nicer driving experience by wy of a more responsive accelerator pedal reaction from the car.

Old 09-18-20 | 06:25 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

There are lots of throttle controllers on the market, namely iDrive (EVC), HIKEit X9, Windbooster, etc.
Old 09-19-20 | 12:05 PM
Droid13
Racer

I haven't tried one, but my guess is these devices won't solve your "engine realizes it has to work and revs out" issue. Since these devices don't actually change the core hybrid system programming you'll likely experience this just as much, probably even more. The devices are simply slamming down the gas pedal virtually on your behalf whenever you more lightly press on the gas pedal. Great if you have slow feet, sore calf muscles, and/or prefer 90% of your powerband in the first 40% of your pedal travel. But the engine is just going to end up revving out ungraciously as you put it a lot more often. That's what these engines are told to do by the hybrid system programming, when you want lots of power they put the engine directly to its peak power rpm and keeps it there until you don't. When you don't the engine goes back to snooze-ville to save fuel. I'm not sure how much it would help with lag though, maybe a little as every start will become a fast start but part of the lag is still part of the core programming too. No one leaves snooze-ville fast without electing a new mayor.
Old 09-23-20 | 12:21 PM
NillaIce
Driver School Candidate

I don't understand "revving out" comment. Does your RX have a CVT transmission? Mine does and pretty much the RPMs slowly grow under WOT and keeps the gas motor at optimal torque delivery which is what provides acceleration. My 2010 only has eco mode and standard mode driving options. When in ECO I can feel the push back of the programming. Don't you have ECO, Standard, Sport options? By the way, the AWD is quicker than the FWD models thanks to the second motor for the rear wheels.
Old 09-23-20 | 07:19 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Hi NillaIce,

Yes, the 3rd gen RX450h does indeed have a CVT gearbox.

I do have ECO, Standard and Sport. If I could keep the vehicle permanently in Sport mode, that would be ideal, but it keeps reverting back to Normal mode after each restart.
The following users liked this post:
redeye40 (03-30-22)
Old 09-25-20 | 06:34 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Just by way of an update, the throttle controller will not physically fit because there is no space for the connector to plug into the throttle controller's bypass connector, for right hand drive.

Might be still OK for left hand drive.

Old 11-20-20 | 10:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I think the only thing I did not like as I sold my RX400h (2008) and purchased a 2014 Lexus RX450h is even in sport mode, the throttle response is very lazy and there is hesitation. The electric motor in the RX400h would give an immediately electric motor torque burst as soon as you tipped into the throttle. It would immediately pounce. I just purchased it 2 weeks ago and I am still on the same fuel I got the car with so I am hoping the car came with regular fuel. I will try putting the maximum pump Octane 94 when I fill it up in a week (which is equivalent of RON Octane 98 for you in Australia) and hopefully it will make a noticeable difference.

Other than that, the RX450h is just so much on a different level compared to my RX400h. The chassis, suspension, interior, quality, steering feel and the engine power/hybrid powertrain feel so much smoother and seamless.
Old 12-19-20 | 05:39 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Well, I finally bit the bullet and installed a Windbooster.

Firstly attempt, I thought I broke the vehicle as it came up with a "Check Hybrid System" warning message:

Throttle controllers-poomqyll.jpg

After contacting the vendor, I was told that the key must be far away from the vehicle when installing the unit. So second attempt, did as instructed, and there was no error. So they were right!

Driving around in "Normal" mode, the RX450h seemed to have far far better throttle response. Super happy with this! No more going into the menus to select the vehicle's own "Sport mode" and seeing the dash go from a blue background to red.

Very happy. Only gotcha is that there is very little room above the accelerator pedal for RHD vehicles so the standard connectors will not physically fit in the limited space. I don't expect this to be an issue with LHD models.

The following users liked this post:
roy7777 (09-16-21)
Old 01-13-21 | 02:26 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Its been one month since the throttle controller has been installed, and the wife just loves driving the throttle response on the car.

No issues so far. Am really glad to have installed this feature because it means getting "sport" like response, without needing to go into actual "Sport" mode - the latter bumps up the operating voltage that the hybrid battery, which would mean more wear and tear on the hybrid battery long term.

This is kinda like having your cake and eating it too.
Old 09-05-21 | 04:11 AM
shixtr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tempestv8
Its been one month since the throttle controller has been installed, and the wife just loves driving the throttle response on the car.

No issues so far. Am really glad to have installed this feature because it means getting "sport" like response, without needing to go into actual "Sport" mode - the latter bumps up the operating voltage that the hybrid battery, which would mean more wear and tear on the hybrid battery long term.

This is kinda like having your cake and eating it too.
That's awesome to hear. I'm wondering have you tried Sport mode with the throttle controller? Do you get double the responsiveness?
Old 09-05-21 | 06:00 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

I have to say, it's only my wife who prefers the Sport mode - the responsiveness is awesome and she likes the faster "tip in" from the accelerator. If "Sport" is not responsive enough, there's even a "Sport Plus" and an "Auto" mode.

I, on the other hand, actually prefer the Normal mode, as it makes for a more relaxed driving style.

Either way it's nice to have these modes, which just changes the character of the vehicle, depending on your driving mood. I'll be the first to say it's gimmicky but it works.
Old 09-06-21 | 04:20 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

To be honest, it is rather hard to believe on a drive by wire vehicle, where gas pedal has no direct connection to the throttle and throttle operation is done by servo motor. And that is programmed by Toyota algorithm. SO yes, butt dyno likely pleases you but I am very doubtful it actually works. Not on a drive by wire car. You have to reprogram the firmware, to accomplish anything.
Old 09-06-21 | 09:59 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

There's no debate that throttle controller do not change the specific output that the engine is capable of producing. So there's no actual power increase. What it does is simply change the accelerator pedal responsiveness. And for many people, that's about all they actually want.

I also have a throttle controller on my other vehicle, a Land Cruiser 200 Series V8 twin turbo diesel. And it makes a very noticeable difference to the driving experience, especially to the initial typical turbo diesel lag. Throttle controllers merely intecept the drive-by-wire signals from the accelerator pedal to fool the engine's ECU.

And Toyota have also introduced their own interpretation of a throttle controller. On the latest Prado and Land Cruisers, there is now a button the mimics what throttle controllers do. Picture below is that from a Prado 150 Series Kakadu spec (Australian market specific trim level). In the USA, the Prado is sold under the guise of the Lexus GX460.

Throttle controllers-prh76rql.jpg

And anyway, the Lexus RX450h does have its own implementation, which is the "Sport", "Normal" and "Eco" modes. However I find it very frustrating that the "Sport" setting does not stay after the engine is restarted. It defaults back to "Normal" mode. With a 3rd party throttle controller, if I leave the throttle controller in "Sport" mode, it doesn't revert back to "Normal" upon the next restart.

Old 09-19-21 | 09:06 AM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tempestv8
There's no debate that throttle controller do not change the specific output that the engine is capable of producing. So there's no actual power increase. What it does is simply change the accelerator pedal responsiveness. And for many people, that's about all they actually want.
Indeed, especially RX450h, I always feel that RX450h is slower than my familly's RAV4 and CX5 when start like 0 ~ 30 or 40 mph. I know it will faster if full throttle, but I don't want to do full throttle everytime I start. Just found a good price on alibaba.com, Windbooster 9-mode throttle controller 4S $80 + shipping $30 = $110. If you chat with the seller, they will reduce the shipping to $10, so total will be $90. I will update after I receive the item. Thanks for tempestv8's great sharing.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...265962149.html

Old 12-11-21 | 04:55 PM
DLeebold
10th Gear

Red face outcome of your new winbooster controler

Originally Posted by roy7777
Indeed, especially RX450h, I always feel that RX450h is slower than my familly's RAV4 and CX5 when start like 0 ~ 30 or 40 mph. I know it will faster if full throttle, but I don't want to do full throttle everytime I start. Just found a good price on alibaba.com, Windbooster 9-mode throttle controller 4S $80 + shipping $30 = $110. If you chat with the seller, they will reduce the shipping to $10, so total will be $90. I will update after I receive the item. Thanks for tempestv8's great sharing.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...265962149.html

Quick Reply: Throttle controllers