Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

CNA Warranty Company "Hybrid Battery Coverage" Contract Verbiage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20 | 04:31 PM
fraza44
Driver School Candidate

Default CNA Warranty Company "Hybrid Battery Coverage" Contract Verbiage

All,
I'm in the process of searching for a warranty to cover the possible purchase of a LS 600HL. One of the dealerships I contacted sent me a copy of the CNA "Automotive Preferred Care Plus" warranty which covers Hybrid Batteries but after reading the verbiage, it seem like CNA isn't actually covering the battery unless it can't hold less then 70% charge. Here is the paragraph for the Hybrid Battery:

"PROPULSION BATTERY COVERAGE When Your Vehicle is an electric, hybrid or plug-in electric hybrid, the propulsion battery is covered subject to the following: 1. Limitations to Coverage: Your Vehicle’s propulsion battery pack has suffered a Breakdown only when it retains less than seventy percent (70%) of its original charge-holding capacity. 2. Diagnostic Requirement: In order to determine if there is a Breakdown of the propulsion battery pack, the Administrator may require Your Vehicle to undergo an extended charge capacity test. The extended charge capacity test is prescribed by the Manufacturer of Your Vehicle. If the failure to the propulsion battery does not qualify as a Breakdown under the terms of this Contract, You must pay for all diagnostic, teardown and repair charges. 3. Repair or Replacement of Propulsion Battery Parts: The propulsion battery pack may be repaired, replaced with rebuilt units, replaced with aftermarket units, or replaced with new units, at the sole discretion of the Administrator. The terms of the Propulsion Battery Coverage are in conjunction with and in addition to all other terms of this Contract, including but not limited to Section 10(C), “Non-Covered Conditions,” and Section 16(E), “Limit of Liability.”"

My question is to those folks who have experienced the Hybrid Battery warning light indicating some type of failure. Is the battery still able to hold a charge above 70% while the check Hybrid Battery light is on?

If the vehicle can still be driven for any give length of time, will the batteries ability to fully charge be diminished below the required 70% because if not, then the CNA warranty is useless when it comes to repair the Hybrid Battery.

I also welcome any comments for mechanics on this forum who may have experience on how the hybrid battery fails because my understanding was, if one hybrid battery cell fails you will get a check hybrid battery warning and the car may or may not be drive-able but it can still hold a significant charge in the remaining good battery cells.

Thank you

Andre