Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Anyone have to take apart back seat center console?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 01:46 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone have to take apart back seat center console?

I noticed the other day that the plastic lever (to detach the rear center console from the right rear seat) had broken off, along with the the center cap.

I think someone, my wife or I (obviously wasn't I who did this of course), had folded all of the rear seats down, put something big in the back, and it slid forward, snapping the upper edge of the top of that center piece and it also broke off the lever that allows you to move it up/down,( to detach from the right rear seat ) which it's attached to when all 3 components of the seat are up and down.

It looks like they broke off, so I obviously can't use that release handle anymore - the center console is permanently attached to the RR seat. I can look down the top of that middle console section and see the rod that the lever supposed to attach to,

So I found out the parts that broke were these:

Center Cover - Lexus (72978-0E010-A0)
Lever - Lexus (72661-0E010-A0)

Has anyone had any experience replacing these ? Do you have to take apart the rear console carpeted area to access the screws that appear to secure the cover ?

thanks!
Old 01-28-21, 02:31 AM
Garrettb
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to figure it out with the help of a pdf file someone linked on my forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10821062
i had to replace that horizontal cover, so I took the back carpet off the seat, the headrest off, and the headrest anchors off. If you need to also replace the horizontal panel in addition to the lever there is a screw hidden behind it. You can see it on the pdf file. And once you release the headset anchors you can pull on the seat frame and access the screw If I remember correctly.

If you need to temporary release the seat just pull on that metal rod with pliers and it will release it.
Old 01-28-21, 09:40 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Thanks so much ! Really appreciate this info/help!
Old 01-28-21, 12:15 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,005 Likes on 800 Posts

Got any pics of the part that broke so we can follow along and see your fix?
Old 01-28-21, 01:35 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Sure can ! I'll do a writeup if I'm successful. I have to order the parts and hopefully I'll find the screws in the center console!
Old 10-29-21, 02:05 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

OK, So I have it mostly torn apart. I have the head rest and their plastic guides taken off in addition to the back carpet cover.

Garrett, in the off chance that you get a notification on this, I was wondering about how you got the cover and the lever back in place.

As you know , the lever slides into the cover.

So do I put the cover in (using the 2 screws from inside to mount) , then the lever, then put the metal rod into the lever ?
-or-
Slide the lever into the cover, mount the cover with the lever attached , then put the metal rod into the lever ?

I did look at the PDF a few hundred times and wow it's very convoluted and the instructions seem to swap back and forth between the center seat/console and the LH seat. I didn't get much from that.

thanks if you have a chance to notice this and respond !

I've taken lots of pics so I'm going to do a 'how-to' on this bugger !
Old 10-29-21, 03:24 PM
Garrettb
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpw
OK, So I have it mostly torn apart. I have the head rest and their plastic guides taken off in addition to the back carpet cover.

Garrett, in the off chance that you get a notification on this, I was wondering about how you got the cover and the lever back in place.

As you know , the lever slides into the cover.

So do I put the cover in (using the 2 screws from inside to mount) , then the lever, then put the metal rod into the lever ?
-or-
Slide the lever into the cover, mount the cover with the lever attached , then put the metal rod into the lever ?

I did look at the PDF a few hundred times and wow it's very convoluted and the instructions seem to swap back and forth between the center seat/console and the LH seat. I didn't get much from that.

thanks if you have a chance to notice this and respond !

I've taken lots of pics so I'm going to do a 'how-to' on this bugger !
Its been so long I honestly can’t remember. But I believe your second option “Slide the lever into the cover, mount the cover with the lever attached , then put the metal rod into the lever” is what I did. But if it doesn’t work one way you’ll just have it try it the other. Sorry I forgot!