Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Where to get a hybrid battery for 2010 RX450H

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 07:26 AM
kdzgon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get a hybrid battery for 2010 RX450H

Hello, all,

I have a 2010 RX450h, and I am having issues with my hybrid battery. I gat the dreaded "check hybrid.." And check abs brake system warnings. After several days at the shop, it appears I have a couple of weaker battery sections. He reset the warnings and told me to watch the battery charge and not let it fall too low, and gave me suggestions as to how to recharge it quickly (coasting, essentially). He said he couldn't predict how much longer it would last...could be a year, could be a week, though the batteries often have more issues in the heat (I am in SW Florida).

The battery charge fluctuates dramatically, sometimes falling from 7/8 to 1/4 within blocks, especially at slow speeds. The problem seems worse with multiple stops in a short period (eg, my running errands day with multiple location stops in a short period). However, I recently took a trip with >2 1/2 hrs highway driving and the battery dropped low often, even with cruise control on.

I considered trading it in on something new, but I really a) don't want a payment and b) didn't find anything I fell in love with to make me change my mind. That being the case, I'm thinking I need to bite the bullet and get the battery replaced. To this end, I'm looking for recommendations.
  • Does anyone know someone reputable to replace the battery with a rebult/refurbished unit? I'm in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area.
  • Alternatively, this mechanic will charge me $500 in labor to change the battery. If that is a good price, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to purchase the battery? He gave me a total price of ~$3,000 so I'm hoping to get it done for less than that overall.
  • I bought the car used in 2012. It has ~135,000 mi, is in decent shape other than the hybrid battery and needing front tires soon. I have already replaced the 12 volt battery, replaced the abs master [brain] and brakes ~18 months ago. Any other big ticket items I should think about that might tip the scales towards NOT replacing the hybrid battery?
Thank you in advance for any feedback from the many knowledgeable members here!
Laurie
Old 01-31-21, 10:24 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 382 Posts

Can't help you find a battery in your area, but as I was reading your post I was thinking...

If you are trying to avoid letting the battery discharge too much, in addition to the coasting and regen braking options, you might consider driving with the gear selector in "S" instead of "D". The simulated gears in "S" mode will let you force the engine to run at a higher rpm and maybe send charge into the battery more often than drawing off charge.
Old 01-31-21, 11:38 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

A quick Google search for Lexus rx450h hybrid battery will give you a fair idea in your area. There's a company called Greenbeanbattery. They have a lifetime warranty battery for 2500 bucks.
just go online and check. If they're in your area or drive to their location then they'll even waive the install fees.
There are options if you want to keep an otherwise good performing car. I'm not good at diagnosing things or individual battery cells and would personally spend the 3k and be done with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by NickSP:
DLeebold (05-01-21), RadiantX45 (02-01-21)
Old 02-01-21, 06:17 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kdzgon, how many miles on your RX450h? I've also got a 2010 RX450h in FL, with 102,000 mi. Fortunately, no "check hybrid" alerts yet, but I'm wondering about my hybrid battery health.

FYI, Green Bean Battery states their lifetime warranty can be transferred ONE-TIME to a new owner.
Old 02-01-21, 07:20 AM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
kdzgon, how many miles on your RX450h? I've also got a 2010 RX450h in FL, with 102,000 mi. Fortunately, no "check hybrid" alerts yet, but I'm wondering about my hybrid battery health.

FYI, Green Bean Battery states their lifetime warranty can be transferred ONE-TIME to a new owner.
I believe he has 135k miles on his car. Which means he can still use it for at least another 70k if the car has been maintained well.
Old 02-03-21, 03:22 PM
kdzgon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickSP
I believe he has 135k miles on his car. Which means he can still use it for at least another 70k if the car has been maintained well.
She, but yes, ~135000. I'm the 2nd owner and the car has been maintained, which is why I am thinking replace the battery. Also, add me to the list of owners that don't like the grill change, never mind the idea of returning to a monthly payment after over a decade without...

I originally asked where else to get a battery because I read several threads with prices well under $3000, so I was hoping to save a little bit of cash if possible.

Are you familiar with Green Bean Battery other than knowing they offer service? I have been told there are significant variations in battery quality, so while I don't even know if that is true, having feedback on a company would be somewhat comforting.

There is a place out of Tampa area (Hybrid Battery Repair of Tampa Bay) that quoted me a price of $1,999 plus tax (before senior or military discount) for a battery installed at my location, lifetime warranty. They claim to have been in business for 25 years, so that's a good sign. It looks like they started with Toyotas and branched out from there (though Lexus is really just a high end Toyota in many ways, I believe he battery technology is different). I do need to call him back tomorrow to confirm availablity/timeline for delivery from his supplier in CA, so at this point it's just an estimate at best.

Anyone have any reliable estimates as to how much loss in mpg correlates to a weakened battery?
Old 02-05-21, 06:36 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

May I suggest that trace the problem to failing 'cell(s)" instead of the whole battery.

Salim
Old 02-05-21, 07:28 PM
NickSP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
May I suggest that trace the problem to failing 'cell(s)" instead of the whole battery.

Salim
Are there specific places to get this done? Especially if you're not a DIYer? How much would it cost to get this tested and replace a couple of cells when compared to a Greenbeentec $2500 battery with a lifetime warranty?
Old 02-08-21, 07:47 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

I have not had the need, but that is what I plan to do ..if and when it happens.

Do a search on www and see who is close to you. Ebay has cells on sale too. If you are not a DIY [it does need more than just mechanical skills as the voltage is lethal], you will be at mercy of repair shops.

Salim
Old 02-10-21, 11:55 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No idea where to find a good shop in Florida but be sure to have them clean the battery fan blades and battery vent filters inside the cabin while they at it. This will extend the life of your battery.
Old 02-11-21, 08:35 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Replacing bad cells is only a temporary fix. Replace the whole battery with OEM and call it a day. Why don’t you go to a Toyota dealer for the replacement?
Old 03-29-21, 08:27 PM
sagan
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Replacing bad cells is only a temporary fix. Replace the whole battery with OEM and call it a day. Why don’t you go to a Toyota dealer for the replacement?
Probably because some dealers will give you a price between $7K-$15K or whatever other number they can put in front of you to convince you to buy a new vehicle and trade in the non-working one. Just getting to the point of getting a price can be a chore. 2-4 days just to get a quote and by then some people fold.
The following users liked this post:
NeimanM095 (02-05-24)
Old 03-30-21, 04:50 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,161 Likes on 990 Posts

If you Google hybrid shop you will find everything from the national franchise chain The Hybrid Shop, to local places that work on hybrids, to local places that specialize in hybrid battery work. I was amazed at the number of places near to my house in the Virginia suburbs. They will be a lot cheaper than the dealer.
Old 04-04-21, 03:50 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Please update us on what you decided to do OP.

Last edited by RadiantX45; 04-06-21 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-04-22, 12:13 PM
jajardiel
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I was reading your post on the battery for your Lexus from over a year ago. I'm looking at buying a 2010 Lexus with low mileage, but wondering what you ended up doing about the battery. Thanks for taking the time to share this information!

Jen

Quick Reply: Where to get a hybrid battery for 2010 RX450H