Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

21 ES300h electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-21, 01:25 PM
dan1520
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DDupuis
I live in Quebec, Canada. This is my 3rd ES bought new (2015, 2017 and 2019h) Last winter, after 18 months and 17000km, 3 times in the same week, barely 18 hours after my parking (one night), my battery was discharged completely. According to the dealer, I am not driving enough (30 km / day). By watching the posted video, I understood that my remote starter problem, which has been working randomly since I got the car, seems to be related as well. It looks like it's the DCM that needs updating. I will speak to my dealer on my next visit.
Check out my last response where go through the electrical problem on my 2020 300h. You will note that it was the battery even though they "checked it" three times. When there is corrosion on a brand new battery terminal there's a problem with the battery. It's been a while now and all appears to be ok.
My suggestion, try a new battery. Don't just go by their "battery testing". Replace it is the best way to go.

The following users liked this post:
IanNY (01-12-22)
Old 08-22-21, 11:59 AM
Travnurse
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan1520
A few weeks ago, I asked for help as to why my ES300h won't start when it was not used for a few days. I did get a few response and I am thankful. I had the car towed to the dealer and spoke to them after they investigated the problem. They again said because I don't use the car daily or even every few days, then I need to place a trickle charger on it to ensure the battery is charged. Needless to say I was upset considering we are talking about a $50,000 car not a $20,000 Kia. Is that what is normal?
My question for all of you is whether you have had a similar problem with your Lexus? I would like to know if this is normal. This is my 4th Lexus and never had that problem. So if you can let me know your experience, I would like to know so when I speak to the dealer GM and the Regional Lexus Rep, I have some ammunition. I'll await responses.

Thank you
Dan A.
Yep. Happened this morning on my wife's brand new ES300h. Would not crank, though you could see it had power (lights on). Left, and came back 1-2 hours later. Started right up. They have an issue they need to fix, This should not happen. And she drives it every day. Even if a small battery, it should NOT run down for weeks. Unless it is a piece of crap.
IanNY (01-12-22)
Old 08-23-21, 11:31 AM
dan1520
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default UPDATE to my ES300h electrical problem

It was finally resolved. Turns ou that the problem was I first said it was after the first time it went back. When I noticed that the 12 volt battery had corrosion on the positive connection, I knew that theproblem was the battery. I mentioned it to them but they still attached computers, new softwars, etc., instead of fixing the most logical reason for the problem. Three visits later, they changed the battery and have not had a problem since.

Go figure!!!

Originally Posted by Travnurse
Yep. Happened this morning on my wife's brand new ES300h. Would not crank, though you could see it had power (lights on). Left, and came back 1-2 hours later. Started right up. They have an issue they need to fix, This should not happen. And she drives it every day. Even if a small battery, it should NOT run down for weeks. Unless it is a piece of crap.
IanNY (01-12-22)
Old 09-17-21, 05:46 PM
Wihunge
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2020 es300h

A few weeks ago, I asked for help as to why my ES300h won't start when it was not used for a few days. I did get a few response and I am thankful. I had the car towed to the dealer and spoke to them after they investigated the problem. They again said because I don't use the car daily or even every few days, then I need to place a trickle charger on it to ensure the battery is charged. Needless to say I was upset considering we are talking about a $50,000 car not a $20,000 Kia. Is that what is normal?
My question for all of you is whether you have had a similar problem with your Lexus? I would like to know if this is normal. This is my 4th Lexus and never had that problem. So if you can let me know your experience, I would like to know so when I speak to the dealer GM and the Regional Lexus Rep, I have some ammunition. I'll await responses.

Thank you
Dan A.
I go weeks without driving my 2020 es hybrid. Never a problem starting it. I have 2,000 miles on it. The car is in a garage here in California’s Central Valley where it rarely dips below 67 at night and is around 100 durning the day. Don’t know if that has a bearing on a battery drainage problem or not.
IanNY (01-12-22)
Old 10-06-21, 08:35 AM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

I routinely leave my 2017 at the airport for 5-7 days (including Utah winters) and it always starts without a problem when I get back. Different generation but the drivetrain and all seems pretty similar to the current gen.

Not surprised it turned out to be the battery. The owners manual makes it pretty clear that if the 12V battery is having problems that it's very likely you'll encounter starting issues.
IanNY (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 11:10 AM
IanNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was finally resolved. Turns ou that the problem was I first said it was after the first time it went back. When I noticed that the 12 volt battery had corrosion on the positive connection, I knew that theproblem was the battery. I mentioned it to them but they still attached computers, new softwars, etc., instead of fixing the most logical reason for the problem. Three visits later, they changed the battery and have not had a problem since.

Go figure!!!
Hi dan1520,

I am so glad to find your thread yet not. I have a 2016 ES300h and about 110,000 miles on it. Just 4 days ago (1/8/22), I had my first experience of not being able to start the car. On that occasion, I had driven more than 1 hour on the thruway. Parked the car for about an hour. When I tried to leave. The "Ready" light would not come on. All other lights and indicators came on as usual. The map was working too. After a minute or two of trying, I was able to restart and drove off. Thinking that the 12 V battery was the culprit. I researched a little and discovered that there is no good alternative to the OE version.

Subsequent day was a Sunday. The same thing happened again, but I was able to restart after a few attempts. On Monday, I had mechanic test the battery and he suggested that I replace it. So I was going to get the battery from the dealer (almost $400). Then I encounter another occasion that the "Ready" light wouldn't come on. On that occasion, I was fortunate that a kind person helped jump the car. Thinking that would start it up. No luck. It was again a good 15 minutes or so of retrying with the jumper cable connected and the jumper car's engine revved up. Finally the Ready light came on.

This morning (1/12/22) I replaced the battery at the dealers, and immediately after that, I couldn't start the car again. They took it in and could not find any fault codes or anything suspicious. So that tells me that the battery doesn't seem to be the reason.

Ultimately they suggested that I remove the Allstate insurance Drivewise device that is plugged in to the OBDII socket and see if the problem recurs. 4 hours at the dealer, they were kind enough to not charge me the diagnostic fee, still no concrete solutions.

Anybody has any other ideas? Thank you so much.