Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Any way to charge hybrid battery with a plug-in battery charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 06:44 AM
bcolins
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Any way to charge hybrid battery with a plug-in battery charger

My RX 400 had been sitting for about three weeks yesterday I started it up, it ran fine,...let it run for about 5 minutes and shut it off. This morning I went out hopped in it, turn the key put it in reverse and as it was rolling back down my sloped driveway into the street I noticed I had no power steering I stopped . I shut the car off and did a restart and nothing but a bunch of lights on the dash and a message saying check hybrid battery. Yesterday the gauge on the dash showed the hybrid battery to be full when I scroll through the display today it shows it to be empty. I have a charger on the 12 V starting battery,..wondering if this will eventually charge up the hybrid battery to some degree or not. if not is there any other way to charge the hybrid battery other battery other than running the internal combustion engine?
Old 05-03-21, 07:14 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 886 Likes on 666 Posts

The 288v Traction battery is charged by both Motor Generator 1 (MG1) attached to the IC engine
as well as MG2 attached to the front axle. If your RX is AWD then the MGR (rear) will also add
some regeneration during deacceleration. This voltage goes through an inverter to charge both
the 288v and 12v batteries.

The conventional 12v battery is used to stabilize the voltage for the lights, wipers, radio,
Navigation and to close the relay required for the 288v battery to spin and start the IC engine.
Except for newer "Plug-In Hybrid" models there is no circuitry set up to directly charge the main
288v Traction battery from an outside source.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
bcolins (05-03-21), Ohtexan (05-04-21)
Old 05-03-21, 11:04 AM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 187 Posts

NO.
I think you have to tow your car to Toyota/Lexus dealer.
Old 05-09-21, 05:26 PM
bcolins
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by iMSQ
NO.
I think you have to tow your car to Toyota/Lexus dealer.
I was able to blow out the relay with compressed air and spray it down with WD-40 and put it out in the sunshine for a day, snap the clips back together popped it in the battery made all the connections back connected the 12 V battery and the car fired right up and has been driving with no fault codes since so hooray. My new challenge now is to find out where the water is coming in from. I have read the Toyota/Lexus technical service bulletin, however looking where they say to look at it it doesn’t look like water is coming in back by the hatchback struts. that said,...I did put a bit of sealant on that body seam area.