Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2015 up NX300H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX300H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other first generation NX models.

Any issues over time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 09:44 PM
Gramps7
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any issues over time?

Very seriously considering and new 2021 NXh mainly because the non hybrid requires premium fuel....that would be an ouch at the pump!!
Seems like there has been only a few tweaks to this model over the years. My question is what issues or problems have been experienced. Reading reviews online seems to be based on owners who have had the vehicle for only a few weeks while these would not be to telling what owners experience over a reasonable time.
Old 05-15-21, 11:29 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

No issues for us. We recently traded our NXh for a new hybrid RX, but our decision had nothing to do with the hybrid drivetrain. We have had two Prius hybrids since 2006, two Lexus ES hybrids since 2015, the NXh in 2016 and now the RXh (we own two vehicles). I have never had one single issue with a hybrid drivetrain. To be fair, I have never had more than 50K miles on any of our hybrid vehicles before trading as we don't drive a ton. Our reasons for trading the NX in for an RX were simply because we wanted a smoother, quieter vehicle with options that we didn't have on the NX (most are available on the newer NXs). The panoramic view, HUD and the Safety features were the primary options we were looking for.

Anyway, I thought a bit of context might be helpful before I share my opinion about the Toyota/Lexus hybrid drivetrain. We have enjoyed our hybrid vehicles and even though we can afford the gas, we like that we don't have to buy as much. We consistently got in the 30's on regular gas (with the NXh), with 36 MPG as probably our best tank. We like the CVT transmission as it is very smooth. We also like that the car spends enough time on battery as to result in a quieter overall ride, and it is normally silent at stops unless the engine is cold and still in the warm-up cycle. Anyway, the Lexus implementations of the hybrid drivetrain are a better balance than the Toyota Prius, which was designed with a focus on economy. Lexus is striking for a better balance with more power and not quite as much economy. Anyway, we have never had a single issue with the hybrid drivetrains and while I haven't seen any negatives, there are some people that don't like the CVT transmission as they perceive it to be too soft - without the positive shift points of a typical automatic. And of course, they don't have as much power, which is noticeable on mountain inclines, but the balance suits us well and they have plenty of power to reach freeway speeds before merging with traffic. You really should test the power for yourself on any of your typical roads during a test drive.

I hope that helps. I wouldn't buy anything but a hybrid today. You get benefit of some electrification without the need to plug in and look for a charger. Just keep in mind, the drive battery is indeed a battery. Batteries do not last forever. Of course, neither do turbochargers... We rode in a Prius taxi once with over 200K miles on the original battery it isn't uncommon for them to last many years. The 2020 and newer drivetrains are warranteed for 8 years and 100K miles (battery for 150K miles). Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-15-21, 05:04 PM
Gramps7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. Test drove one today. Put down a deposit for the dealership to find a white Executive one with the red interior....wife’s choice in colour.
Will probably take a few days practicing with the touch pad but didn’t seem too cumbersome to use. Comfortable snuggling seats, fairly quite ride.
Will probably get it around June 6.
Old 06-12-21, 09:05 PM
Gramps7
Driver School Candidate

Picked up the new 2021 NX300h yesterday. Very happy with it. Spent an hour playing with the different touchpad settings and buttons. Will take abit more playing around to get things figured out. The YouTube Lexus videos with the gal in Texas is awesome in explaining.
went for a few long rides…rides nice, good sound system, comfy seats.
I didn’t realize how much sparkle was in the grey. Will be getting a front 3m front clear wrap and ceramic coating in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-16-22, 09:53 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

The hybrid in the Nx is proven, used across the ES and Camry as well. A step below the 3.5L hybrid in terms of smoothness but still very good.

The best thing with this engine is its very easy to work on. Changing spark plugs is a 30min job.