Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Trailer hitch wiring 2021 rx450h

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 10:43 AM
Bob33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch wiring 2021 rx450h

I am purchasing a 2021 Lexus 450h without towing package I cannot find one with the towing package. Has anyone used tekonsha 119250 light kit with not cut sensor? Also does anyone have the wiring diagram for the tail lights? Thank you for your help bob
Old 08-10-21, 08:46 AM
Bob33
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a draw title trailer hitch #75540 and Tekonsha no splice wiring kit # 119250 on my 2021 rx450 h. My truck did not have the factory towing kit. To install the hitch you just need to trim the splash panel under the truck and the wiring kit clamps over the tail,brake and light wires.
Old 07-12-23, 11:29 AM
toddcarson
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Bob33
I am purchasing a 2021 Lexus 450h without towing package I cannot find one with the towing package. Has anyone used tekonsha 119250 light kit with not cut sensor? Also does anyone have the wiring diagram for the tail lights? Thank you for your help bob
Hi! Thought I had gotten the tow pckg, but seems like I was wrong. 2022 RX450h. Did you figure out the best way to connect the trailer lights? This was mentioned on earlier models, but it seems that all vehicles have a wire harness “ready”, but without the tow pckg irt is not connected upstream. I have a hitch installed, ready to go, but need those lights!
Old 08-02-23, 10:23 AM
toddcarson
4th Gear

Trailer light connections for 2022 RX450h. Hitch
1. a UHaul hitch perfectly fits, and there are “assigned” spots to bolt the hitchin place. It does require a 3” x 3” cut out of the black, underbody panel. This is all but i visible when finished. The bumper is not cut.

2. as previously described, there is a square harness connection tucked in at the drivers side rear bumper area. It is white plastic. A pig tail harness is needed to convert the harness to a standard 4 pin trailer hitch.

3. without the factory towing package, Lexus has removed a module, located under the floor panel, passenger side rear hatch area, under a small storage bin. This cuts off power to the tailight conmector at the rear.

4. Purchase the aforementioned wiring kit, you will get both the module and the pigtail harness adapter for around $30. Both snap into place easily, and you are good to go!
Old 08-13-23, 06:29 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

We went to Omaha this weekend to get our new to us 2021 RX450H. It was 400 miles each way, we drove our 15 RX350 for a trade.
The 450H is awesome. The car is so comfortable to drive, really glad we bought it.

I also want to install a trailer hitch as I had one on my 350 and used it for light utility hauling. The 450 does not have the towing package and I asked the dealer to order the module and wire harness pigtail for me. They said they could not for that vehicle. So, I did a little search and gave them a VIN # for a 2021 RX450H that came with a tow package and asked them to use that for the vehicle. They did. The parts were in the car when we picked it up.

The Lexus part #'s are: PT725-48160 for the module and PT725-48160-WH for the pig tail. The costs for those two items was $204. That was a bit more than the $30 above.

I have not installed them yet. First I will get a hitch and install that then the wire harness items. Looks like the trailer end of the pigtail is designed to screw right to the hitch.
I'll post the installed photos here when I am finished.

​​​​​​The only concern I have right now is if I will void the warranty if I install a hitch. This is a Lexus CPO vehicle and comes with about 4 years of coverage. Anyone know if installing the hitch will void the CPO?
I will email my salesman tomorrow but would also like to hear form the forum.
Old 08-13-23, 06:41 PM
toddcarson
4th Gear

Default Voided warranty?

Originally Posted by Luscombe8A
We went to Omaha this weekend to get our new to us 2021 RX450H. It was 400 miles each way, we drove our 15 RX350 for a trade.
The 450H is awesome. The car is so comfortable to drive, really glad we bought it.

I also want to install a trailer hitch as I had one on my 350 and used it for light utility hauling. The 450 does not have the towing package and I asked the dealer to order the module and wire harness pigtail for me. They said they could not for that vehicle. So, I did a little search and gave them a VIN # for a 2021 RX450H that came with a tow package and asked them to use that for the vehicle. They did. The parts were in the car when we picked it up.

The Lexus part #'s are: PT725-48160 for the module and PT725-48160-WH for the pig tail. The costs for those two items was $204. That was a bit more than the $30 above.

I have not installed them yet. First I will get a hitch and install that then the wire harness items. Looks like the trailer end of the pigtail is designed to screw right to the hitch.
I'll post the installed photos here when I am finished.

​​​​​​The only concern I have right now is if I will void the warranty if I install a hitch. This is a Lexus CPO vehicle and comes with about 4 years of coverage. Anyone know if installing the hitch will void the CPO?
I will email my salesman tomorrow but would also like to hear form the forum.
I raised this question with my service department re: my 2022 RX450h. He said it could void the warranty IF it could be clearly shown that the damage was directly due to towing, or faulty tow equipment. Of course, we won’t know unless it happens, and you seem to have an aftermarket warranty, but he was reassuring. FYI, the pigtail and module can be found on Amazon for about $54.00.
Old 08-13-23, 06:56 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Bob,
Thanks for the reply.
Our warranty is a Lexus extension and not 3rd party. I kinda figured it would be use dependent relative to the trailer hitch. My immediate concern is the transmission even though I only tow a very light utility trailer to transfer my lawn mower and snow blower back and forth between storage. I don't have the room for both in the garage with the cars too.
We are new to the 450H and that transmission is different from the 350. I got a bit nervous when then refused to even order the parts for this Vin # vehicle. I do not want to get into a dispute but also need a vehicle to tow with on occasion.
I did not look on Amazon for the parts. I know I over paid but am confident I have the right pieces and they are OEM.
Amazon is usually pretty good but I have been frustrated with them from time to time and I wanted to push the easy button this time.
I hope my posting the part #'s will help others via Amazon or Ebay.

i do appreciate your reply.