Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Bought Almost New 2018 GS 450h!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-21, 05:22 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,304 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I think it was 2008 or 2010? We had a Family gathering at a relatives house that has a large horseshoe driveway. Everybody car was blocked in except the last row that came in. We had to go to the store so one relative gave us the Keys to their Lexus RX in back. So out to drive it 2 of us went. We got in started it and no start, tried again would not start up.

So back in the house to the owner to tell them, hey the car wont start? They say no way they just got there 10mins ago and was no problem. So out they walk with us to the RX to see what's going on? They get in the car push the button, and look at us. We said see it wont start. They say what are you 2 talking about it started and is running. We look at each other stange, the owner laughs and said it a Hybrid. He puts it in gear and says see. How stupid we felt. lol! It was a RX 400h. Still felt so weird even driving with just wind noise only, and no engine vibrations and engine noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
bclexus (12-14-21), Im2bz2p345 (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 01:44 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I actually had to go to Sport Drive Mode to get the tachometer to display so I could see if the gas engine is running. It's really strange to look at the tach and see the needle sitting on zero because the engine is not running even though you're still moving along, yet the car is On and fully ready to take off if the driver wants to do so.

I'm very impressed with how seamless it is for the gas engine to shut down and start back up with no indication or evidence it has happened. I guess I'm most impressed with that, as well as how smooth and quiet the CVT performs.

I like how the CVT performs so very smoothly to downshifting with the paddles in lieu of applying the brakes. With the GS 350, downshifting created a considerable amount of negative forward G lull and positive forward G lunge reaction - depending on speed and gear choice - that was not necessarily very smooth. This CVT is so smooth and quite you'd think NASA designed it to be unnoticeable and for zero G force upshifting and downshifting.
Great feedback on your experiences @bclexus

It's sad that there is so much general distaste for CVT transmissions amongst auto reviews and I'm sure the thought of owning the vehicle due to the CVT transmission has likely swayed potential buyers in this sports luxury segment away, but I would, too, say that Lexus has done a phenomenal job with it on this vehicle.

~ im2bz2p345
Old 12-15-21, 01:50 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

On the 450h it's called an eCVT, because of the electric motor, definitely not a normal CVT.

Here is what the inside of our transmission looks like:

The following 4 users liked this post by peasodos:
bclexus (12-15-21), Im2bz2p345 (12-15-21), jgscott (12-15-21), shurik74 (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 01:51 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
I think it was 2008 or 2010? We had a Family gathering at a relatives house that has a large horseshoe driveway. Everybody car was blocked in except the last row that came in. We had to go to the store so one relative gave us the Keys to their Lexus RX in back. So out to drive it 2 of us went. We got in started it and no start, tried again would not start up.

So back in the house to the owner to tell them, hey the car wont start? They say no way they just got there 10mins ago and was no problem. So out they walk with us to the RX to see what's going on? They get in the car push the button, and look at us. We said see it wont start. They say what are you 2 talking about it started and is running. We look at each other stange, the owner laughs and said it a Hybrid. He puts it in gear and says see. How stupid we felt. lol! It was a RX 400h. Still felt so weird even driving with just wind noise only, and no engine vibrations and engine noise.
Haha! Good story @jgscott . Funny enough, I had a similar experience with my PPF installer, who called me to tell me that the lights on the dash on my vehicle are turning on, but it's not cranking. He eventually figured it out. Same thing happened one time at the dealership when one of the guys (looked like a high school kid) said my vehicle wasn't working.

From those moments on, I always have to make sure to tell anyone driving my vehicle that it's a hybrid and you won't necessary hear the engine kick on.

~ Im2bz2p345
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 05:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
On the 450h it's called an eCVT, because of the electric motor, definitely not a normal CVT.

That is some kind of fancy, super duper, complicated looking transmission.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-18-21 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-15-21, 05:23 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

That is some kind of fancy, super duper, complicated looking transmission.

bclexus (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 05:48 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

That Transmission is a Cheater! Its not just transferring engine power.

Wow, I never knew the CVT (Transformer) had a motors built into it. But I did know this..... no wonder it's so expensive. GS450h Owners don't try it! lol!

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-15-21, 06:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

That output shaft looks to be a direct connect with the electric motor's armature with a section of gears and clutches in between. Quite an innovative design.

I need to get in the habit of referring to the GS 450h's transmission as an eCVT, not just plain CVT...because there's nothing plain about it!
Im2bz2p345 (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 06:24 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

That output shaft looks to be a direct connect with the electric motor's armature with a section of gears and clutches in between. Quite an innovative design.

I need to get in the habit of referring to the GS 450h's transmission as an eCVT, not just plain CVT...because there's nothing plain about it!
Yeah it’s nothing like a normal CVT, not even close.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Im2bz2p345 (12-15-21), jgscott (12-16-21)
Old 12-15-21, 09:26 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by peasodos

Good call out. I've made the mistake of using CVT instead of eCVT more than once :P

Insane photo. Looks like something out of SpaceX rocket prototype!

If you really want to appreciate the engineering behind the Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD)/Toyota Hybrid System (THS), this YouTube video created by Professor John D. Kelly at Weber State University (https://www.weber.edu/automotive/J_Kelly.html) is extremely detailed in how it all breaks down and operates:

^Definitely add to your favorites like I have and worth trying to understand just to appreciate how all the moving pieces work together to produce so much power, while being very efficient.

~ im2bz2p345
Old 12-15-21, 09:30 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Check out this museum of EV & Hybrid technology:

Insane!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 12-16-21, 04:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Good call out. I've made the mistake of using CVT instead of eCVT more than once :P

Insane photo. Looks like something out of SpaceX rocket prototype!

If you really want to appreciate the engineering behind the Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD)/Toyota Hybrid System (THS), this YouTube video created by Professor John D. Kelly at Weber State University (https://www.weber.edu/automotive/J_Kelly.html) is extremely detailed in how it all breaks down and operates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNDGUISTYM

^Definitely add to your favorites like I have and worth trying to understand just to appreciate how all the moving pieces work together to produce so much power, while being very efficient.

~ im2bz2p345
Professor John D. Kelly at Weber State University is the expert on Toyota automatic transmission fluids (ATF) in the video I have previously posted in threads (video below). Professor Kelly knows his stuff!

Last edited by bclexus; 12-16-21 at 01:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-16-21, 12:22 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I recall reading years ago that Toyota was light years ahead and led the Auto industry in Hybrid Technology. At that time I think it was GM that was buying something like Gen 3 Hybrid Technology from Toyota when Toyota using Gen 4 in their own cars selling but they actually had Gen 5 ready to release. No one else was even close. I may be wrong about the exact Gen so long ago, and I'm sure it moved on to being much higher now.

How much more did the 4th Gen GS450h cost vs the same comp equipped in a GS350? Was it like $10k more?
Old 12-17-21, 05:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
Nice pics, and lighting Mods. You have done some great lighting upgrade mods! Must be very impressive at night. That Wood interior looks like the same as I have in my Black interior. It's very Dark Brown and sometimes even looks Black. Is that the very, very Dark brown wood?
jgscott, I stand corrected - the wood in my car does look almost black (an elegant black especially with what appears to be the twin double silver inlays). It caught my eye yesterday evening and I thought to myself; damn, that wood does look almost black. I'll have to tell him he's right.
Old 12-17-21, 06:57 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

jgscott, I stand corrected - the wood in my car does look almost black (an elegant black especially with what appears to be the twin double silver inlays). It caught my eye yesterday evening and I thought to myself; damn, that wood does look almost black. I'll have to tell him he's right.
Understand, so on mine it took me a min to see it looked like a Black wood in some light too. I have not seen many GS's with that color wood is why I asked. Now I have seen many with the double stripe you have that mine does not have. I will take a clear pic and post of my color. Been meaning to research the Wood color name from something in the original 2013 GS350 Lux Lexus Sales info if I can find it.

Hey I am leading in corrections, don't try to catch me in slights. I had a arm surgery on my Elbow from 30 years of computer use and Network Engineering too may hours each day. Had a Elbow nerve problem, and torn ligaments in the elbow. Orthoscopic cubital tunnelsyndrome and repair of a damaged and torn Tendon. Between those 2 surgery's at the same time, and some strong opioid meds for some serious pain. I'm still recovering and am about to limit my typing dysfunction and brain dysfunctions on Meds for a while. I've looked back at some thoughts & things I typed and went WTF was I talking about and typing, myself.

I need to put a temporary disclosure in my Sig for a while that I may not be fully responsible for my grammar and thoughts. lol!
bclexus (06-10-24)

Quick Reply: Bought Almost New 2018 GS 450h!