Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Serviced at Dealer Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 05:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Default Serviced at Dealer Today

Today (12/10/2021) the dealer serviced my car and did the following things"
Engine Oil & Filter Change
Inspect and Top-off Coolant and Windshield Fluid
Navigation Map Update and Calibrate (PT219-GEN09-21 GEN 9 V21.1)
Replace Fuel Pump - Lexus Recall Campaign LC0103 21LC01
Tested 12 Volt Starter Battery - Test Results: Rated 450CCA - Measured 422CCA Voltage: 12.63V - Reserve Health: Good
Customer Requests: NO CAR WASH - Return to DZ Area, Do Not Mess with Tire Air Pressure, Do Not Check Cabin Air Filter, Do Not Check Engine Air Filter, Do Not Put Oil Change Reminder Sticker on Windshield.

Note: Passenger Side Rear Shock Blown* - Replacement Part ordered 12/10/2021 - Will be in next week and will email/text when in for installation.
* Lexus Technician said it is common for even new car AVS Shocks to leak and need to be replaced. (Interesting!)

► Get your low pressure fuel pump replaced under the Lexus Recall Campaign LC0103 21LC01 - If you don't, your car may stop dead in its tracks!

Last edited by bclexus; 12-10-21 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 06:04 PM
Aegean
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

What about brake fluid change? If a 2018 model it was due at 30 months.
Old 12-10-21, 07:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aegean
What about brake fluid change? If a 2018 model it was due at 30 months.
It's recommended to be changed at 36 months or 30,000 miles. Being that the car is only 36 months old and only has 5,700 miles on it I don't think it's needed - though I'm sure some people would say it has moisture in the brake fluid after three years - I'm saying it's been in the dry climate of Las Vegas, NV so changing the brake fluid is not needed.
Old 12-16-21, 05:06 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Today (12/10/2021) the dealer serviced my car and did the following things"
Engine Oil & Filter Change
Inspect and Top-off Coolant and Windshield Fluid
Navigation Map Update and Calibrate (PT219-GEN09-21 GEN 9 V21.1)
Replace Fuel Pump - Lexus Recall Campaign LC0103 21LC01
Tested 12 Volt Starter Battery - Test Results: Rated 450CCA - Measured 422CCA Voltage: 12.63V - Reserve Health: Good
Customer Requests: NO CAR WASH - Return to DZ Area, Do Not Mess with Tire Air Pressure, Do Not Check Cabin Air Filter, Do Not Check Engine Air Filter, Do Not Put Oil Change Reminder Sticker on Windshield.

Note: Passenger Side Rear Shock Blown* - Replacement Part ordered 12/10/2021 - Will be in next week and will email/text when in for installation.
* Lexus Technician said it is common for even new car AVS Shocks to leak and need to be replaced. (Interesting!)

► Get your low pressure fuel pump replaced under the Lexus Recall Campaign LC0103 21LC01 - If you don't, your car may stop dead in its tracks!
I'm having my blown passenger side rear AVS shock with less than 6k miles replaced.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-16-21 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-16-21, 06:12 AM
Aegean
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

I hope this is just a single random part failure and does not become an issue for Lexus. In some manufacturers these expensive suspension repairs have an impact on model reputation and resale values. For example Mercedes SL and S class with Active body control and others like Bentley with air suspension.
Old 12-16-21, 07:42 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I'm having my blown passenger side AVS shock with less than 6k miles replaced.
Good you had the car looked over. No surprise about the GS struts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...k-options.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ek-review.html
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (12-16-21)
Old 12-16-21, 08:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott

Yeah, jgscott - the Lexus technician doing the work on my car is a lead Lexus technician and he is excellent at always carefully checking everything just like it's his own car and not overlooking anything. He's quick to inform me through the service manager he works under if anything is amiss. That's why tomorrow I'll be giving him an envelope with a special Christma$ 'thank you' gift to show my appreciation that will be sure to put a smile on his face...

Originally Posted by Aegean View Post
I hope this is just a single random part failure and does not become an issue for Lexus. In some manufacturers these expensive suspension repairs have an impact on model reputation and resale values. For example Mercedes SL and S class with Active body control and others like Bentley with air suspension.

Aegean, with all the many threads here on CL talking about leaking or blown AVS struts I think it has likely already become an 'issue' for Lexus to some extent. I don't know how Lexus explains why a strut fails in my case with less than 6k miles on the car of easy driving. Clearly the strut's seal seems to be the culprit. Quite costly for anyone with their vehicle out of warranty!

Who knows, maybe Lexus will initiate a mass recall to replace both front and rear AVS struts on select models and model years. That would be nice!

Over the past few days I've noticed a clunk sound at random times when driving over small inclines when the suspension typically loads (dampens) and then rebounds a little. However, if I put the drive mode in Sport+ it seldom makes the clunk sound. So, I guess the Sport+ AVS adjustment helps rid the leaking (blown) strut of its internal lack of dampening or looseness to some degree.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-29-23 at 04:53 PM. Reason: grammar
jgscott (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 06:35 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Yeah, jgscott - the Lexus technician doing the work on my car is a lead Lexus technician and he is excellent at always carefully checking everything just like it's his own car and not overlooking anything. He's quick to inform me through the service manager he works under if anything is amiss. That's why tomorrow I'll be giving him an envelope with a special Christma$ 'thank you' gift to show my appreciation that will be sure to put a smile on his face...

Aegean, with all the many threads here on CL talking about leaking or blown AVS struts I think it has likely already become an 'issue' for Lexus to some extent. I don't know how Lexus explains why a strut fails in my case with less than 6k miles on the car of easy driving. Clearly the strut's seal seems to be the culprit. Quite costly for anyone with their vehicle out of warranty!

Who knows, maybe Lexus will initiate a mass recall to replace both front and rear AVS struts on select models and model years. That would be nice!

Over the past few days I've noticed a clunk sound at random times when driving over small inclines when the suspension typically loads (dampens) and then rebounds a little. However, if I put the drive mode in Sport+ it seldom makes the clunk sound. So, I guess the Sport+ AVS adjustment helps rid the leaking (blown) strut of its internal lack of dampening or looseness to some degree.
Yes, so where I service my GS (Toyota now )the Shop Forman at Toyota and Lexus I always speak with him, and hand him a $20 for Lunch. Gets you in good with them. If I ask for something I don't feel like messing with like a Headlight Bulb install, he normally tell me just drive it back in the shop. I sit out of the way and they do it for no charge. I do ask the assistant service manger If I owe anything and they tell me nope. Nice to take care of them it's the little things that count. Crazy as it is, when I had the new Struts put in there, I had some new Brake Pads I needed installing. When I ask about it, the Service Manger told me he just said just bring them to him. Because he was doing the Struts he said he would just put on the Pads for Free! Gave him free lunch money when dropped off and picked up.

Good you shared this with other here, I have been doing this for quite some time at many shops always.

On the Struts, so a Member here pm'd and gave me the Pres of SE Toyota/Lexus email for his assistant. I sent a email about the Struts not asking for anything just a FYI to them about others and the GS pre-mature Strut failure. So one day I get a call from his assistant. I explain to her that I had called Lexus customer service and that they told me to go pound sand, but that there was a problem with those Struts for many. She said it was good that everyone call Lexus customer service to let them know regardless. As a result, I was surprised one day shortly after I got a email with a large Lexus Dealerships Service Credit amount to use at any Lexus Service center. I tried here in many threads to tell other to call Lexus customer service and report the Strut problem when they had it so that they would maybe do something about it for others.

In the threads some said yes, some said np, I had a feeling that many had no idea and had not really had a check out. Because as you just substantiated its even on low, low miles just a few years old GS's also, and Not just the 350 either. So again, if anyone has this problem do call Lexus Customer service and at least report to document. Lexus quoted me $800 + for one Strut and 2 others were leaking too, just not as bad. As if they were not going to get worst.

bclexus (12-17-21)
Old 12-17-21, 11:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

So, I had the rear passenger AVS strut/shock replaced today.