Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Early impressions and review after one week with the NX450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 10:01 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 777 Likes on 482 Posts

Thanks for the review! I hope we see more of these and especially those that went from a first gen NX to the present!

I have one question and it seems like you answered most of it in your review along with the responses but I wanted to double check. When you purchase the "digital key" option is this the ONLY way you get the vehicle with the wireless charging option or can you get the wireless charging option without it? I haven't seen anything stated clearly on the topic and I figured when I am building the car on Lexus's website when I add the "digital key" it says it comes with the Qi wireless charger, which is the slide out portion in the front of the center console.

It doesn't seem like you are alone with the issues of the smart phone digital key profile. I've read several people here and on FB complaining about the same thing, so hopefully Lexus comes out with the software updates to address it. I'm with you 100% in that I don't necessary want to have an app on my phone to be able to use the car.

-Nigel
Old 01-14-22, 10:29 AM
DeftLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same issue with the wireless charger (NX 350) on two of my devices.
Old 01-14-22, 11:45 AM
Jawnathin
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by alvinklee
Congrats! Any other issues in terms of fit or rattles or anything?
I still need to take my car in about the side mirrors vibrating.

I really hate how they limited some of the luxury features you were talking about from the F Sport. Luxury does have that digital rearview mirror and also advanced parking. Not sure if advanced parking really works
Thanks! No issues with rattles or fit and finish so far. The only rattle I had was from sunglasses in the bin but I've since taken them out. I haven't noticed the side mirrors vibrating yet, I assume you mean it is shaky and and difficult to see over rough broken pavements? I will pay attention and see if its a problem on my vehicle. Keep us posted on your repair.

While I am capable of parking the car myself (super easy with the 360 cameras and parking sensors), my partner has a difficult time with parallel parking so she was excited to see Advanced Park as an option and disappointed when I told her it didn't come with it. I try not to dwell on it too much since the NX is overall well equipped but it is annoying since I know the feature exists and the car has the hardware to do it...it's just not there.

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Nice review. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

I personally contacted the Lexus Executive Team about the subscription service costs months ago.

I also argued that there should not be a huge subscription price for services on a 60k vehicle.

Of course, the Executive I talked to from corporate sympathized with me -- even to say that his wife complains of the same thing -- but I am certain I was being hand fed bulls*t in order to calm my complaint.

In the end, the representative said that the policy will probably never change.

I will say, fortunately, CarPlay and Android Auto allow a lot of assistance that you won't need Lexus to do for you instead. It should be easy to let go of most of the services after three years.
Thanks for voicing your complaints. Recently there was backlash regarding the remote start feature, so there still may be hope for change. I give credit to Lexus for creating a very good built-in navigation and Lexus digital assistant but it isn't any better than the Maps and Siri my phone which is easier to use and I don't pay extra for. Saying "Hey Siri, take me home" works just as well as "Hey Lexus..." so I agree that CarPlay and Android Auto makes the DriveConnect subscription a no go once the trial is up. Also I believe the free version of the Lexus digital assistant can still control functions of the car like the climate and radio but I'll have to wait until the trial finishes to see exactly what features remain.

Right now the only thing I'd consider subscribing to is the RemoteConnect, only because it allows me to manage and check the car using my phone. But I will wait and see what I lose and how often I use those features when the trial is up before making a decision.

Originally Posted by nigel821
Thanks for the review! I hope we see more of these and especially those that went from a first gen NX to the present!

I have one question and it seems like you answered most of it in your review along with the responses but I wanted to double check. When you purchase the "digital key" option is this the ONLY way you get the vehicle with the wireless charging option or can you get the wireless charging option without it? I haven't seen anything stated clearly on the topic and I figured when I am building the car on Lexus's website when I add the "digital key" it says it comes with the Qi wireless charger, which is the slide out portion in the front of the center console.

It doesn't seem like you are alone with the issues of the smart phone digital key profile. I've read several people here and on FB complaining about the same thing, so hopefully Lexus comes out with the software updates to address it. I'm with you 100% in that I don't necessary want to have an app on my phone to be able to use the car.

-Nigel
I am not 100% familiar with all trims but doing a quick check on the 450h and 350 I don't see the wireless charging pad as a standalone option or accessory. The only way I've seen to add it is with the Digital Key package.

The interactions and connectivity with the phone is a good idea, we all carry one and it's more important to me than my wallet. But the bug preventing the digital key from functioning properly is a good reminder that technology doesn't work flawlessly and the scenario of being locked out of the car away from home would be a bad day. I'm not a luddite, I love technology and gadgets, I just personally would not 100% depend on the digital key right now. Maybe later when there has been ample testing and its proven to be reliable but for now I am always bringing the key fob with me.

The driver profiles is also a good idea. But needing to downloading an app, registering for a Lexus account, verifying the account using the text/email, pairing the phone to the vehicle is just far too many steps. All Lexus needed to do was allow someone to create a profile directly on the vehicle itself. Tap new profile, name the profile, and done.
Old 01-14-22, 12:28 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
My guess is that when 3 yrs finally gets here 2025? Lexus will have changed the structure and pricing.
What brings you to such a conclusion? They have had these subscription fees since at least 2010 in certain models. A number of manufacturers are doing the same thing now, especially in their more expensive products. Even expensive computer software products are commonly based on subscriptions today (Adobe, Microsoft). Unfortunately, I haven’t seen anything that would suggest this trend is going away.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (01-16-22)
Old 01-14-22, 08:33 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

One more question I had was the sound system. Since the 450h+ cannot get the ML system. How is the premium system?
Old 01-15-22, 12:13 AM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
One more question I had was the sound system. Since the 450h+ cannot get the ML system. How is the premium system?
Its not bad... the mids kinda suck when you have higher volume. Doesn't sound as good as the ML on my old Lexus IS350 F sport 2015.
Old 01-15-22, 04:12 AM
VomieroEmu
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The press cars did consumers and dealers a disservice.

when I placed my order everyone at the dealership was confused on what actually came on the car and what was available.

We obviously had the official build sheets from Lexus. We had all seen cars with features that the build sheet didn’t mention or said weren’t compatible. Such as the rear view mirror camera not being available on FSport.

the dealer did a few nationwide searches for cars with packages and concluded that they must’ve just thrown everything on the press cars.

We still have no idea if I get the power folding seats and rear door kick to open feature on my 350 FSport.
The following 2 users liked this post by VomieroEmu:
gcskoor (02-14-22), gnatuw (01-17-22)
Old 01-15-22, 05:51 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Great Review. Based on my couple of days with my Cad Orange F+ I have the following comments;
* The ped sound is annoying, I find myself speeding the car to 23 MPH to get it to stop.
* My iPhone 13 Max Pro charges is fine using an Apple Case - not 3rd party. The phone stays connected but it is wireless so it doesn't gain a lot of power, but doesn't loose it.
* The remote app and the ability to set the temperature, seat heat and steering heat is great.
* The key fob CAN remote start the car - that makes this better then my wife's CX-30 Premium which can only use the app. The NX can use timer, app, and fob to remote start.
* The Car Play screen takes over the entire screen, should be smaller and show the Lexus function at the same time, the is plenty of space.
* The adaptive cruise and lane change is great - better then Tesla. Lexus is using radar, Tesla is moving to only camera, that will cause a problem.
* Love the turning lights. In fact the lights are the best I have ever had in a car.
* Car is silent. a real step up from the RAV4 and the RAV4 is really good car.
* When the battery is empty the transition to gas is silent and a total non-issue.
* The demo information, the reviewers and all public information was a mess prior to release of the car. As you mentioned in your review, I thought the F+ sport would have the mirror, it doesn't.
* I declined the camera recording app - where a third party wants to use my car to record. I thought that was a mistake on a $61K+ car.
* The apps are unneeded, except for remote control, which after three years is $60 per year. I can deal with that, but it is a trend.

I will most likely hold on to this car for a long time, this hits all the notes for me. White Plains Lexus told me yesterday I have the only Orange unit on the East Coast, and at least for this year there will not be any more. They said the Orange was only done in the first run.

The following 4 users liked this post by Pharbor:
BC310 (02-11-22), gcskoor (02-14-22), gnatuw (01-17-22), lsft (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:29 AM
lsft
Racer

Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting for my orange in Canada.
Old 01-15-22, 06:47 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lsft
Thanks for the info. I'm still waiting for my orange in Canada.
I hear you. I bought this car because it was orange, I totally understand.

The following users liked this post:
lsft (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:57 AM
lsft
Racer

drooling.....
Old 01-15-22, 06:57 AM
adb04
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharbor
Great Review. Based on my couple of days with my Cad Orange F+ I have the following comments;
* The ped sound is annoying, I find myself speeding the car to 23 MPH to get it to stop.
* My iPhone 13 Max Pro charges is fine using an Apple Case - not 3rd party. The phone stays connected but it is wireless so it doesn't gain a lot of power, but doesn't loose it.
* The remote app and the ability to set the temperature, seat heat and steering heat is great.
* The key fob CAN remote start the car - that makes this better then my wife's CX-30 Premium which can only use the app. The NX can use timer, app, and fob to remote start.
* The Car Play screen takes over the entire screen, should be smaller and show the Lexus function at the same time, the is plenty of space.
* The adaptive cruise and lane change is great - better then Tesla. Lexus is using radar, Tesla is moving to only camera, that will cause a problem.
* Love the turning lights. In fact the lights are the best I have ever had in a car.
* Car is silent. a real step up from the RAV4 and the RAV4 is really good car.
* When the battery is empty the transition to gas is silent and a total non-issue.
* The demo information, the reviewers and all public information was a mess prior to release of the car. As you mentioned in your review, I thought the F+ sport would have the mirror, it doesn't.
* I declined the camera recording app - where a third party wants to use my car to record. I thought that was a mistake on a $61K+ car.
* The apps are unneeded, except for remote control, which after three years is $60 per year. I can deal with that, but it is a trend.

I will most likely hold on to this car for a long time, this hits all the notes for me. White Plains Lexus told me yesterday I have the only Orange unit on the East Coast, and at least for this year there will not be any more. They said the Orange was only done in the first run.
Congrats and thanks for sharing your early experiences.My dealer (Bay area, CA) has assigned me a Cadmium Orange. I am torn between Atomic Silver and Cadmium Orange. Both have their pros and cons.
Glad yo know that it's significantly quieter than RAV4. I had that question in my mind.
Enjoy the ride.

​​​​
Old 01-15-22, 07:01 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Orange is a rather unconventional color. My dealer actually looked at me when he saw my configuration and asked, "are you sure on the color?"

But it is the choice I want and the photos make it look even better than I thought. Thanks for uploading them
Old 01-15-22, 07:02 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

If you can get Orange do it, but I am totally biased. The Manager at White Plains - which is a big dealership told me that Lexus will not make any more in Orange, they only did the first series with a few, and that's it. I have Honda HRVs as company cars in orange and the Lexus Orange is similar - it always looks good, even when a little dirty. On the Lexus the Orange really pops with the Black wheels.
Old 01-15-22, 07:09 AM
NJRonbo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharbor
If you can get Orange do it, but I am totally biased. The Manager at White Plains - which is a big dealership told me that Lexus will not make any more in Orange, they only did the first series with a few, and that's it. I have Honda HRVs as company cars in orange and the Lexus Orange is similar - it always looks good, even when a little dirty. On the Lexus the Orange really pops with the Black wheels.
Thanks. Is this just for the 450h? I am ordering the 350h so I hope there are plans to continue with the orange color in that line.

Quick Reply: Early impressions and review after one week with the NX450h