Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Early impressions and review after one week with the NX450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 07:19 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharbor
If you can get Orange do it, but I am totally biased. The Manager at White Plains - which is a big dealership told me that Lexus will not make any more in Orange, they only did the first series with a few, and that's it. I have Honda HRVs as company cars in orange and the Lexus Orange is similar - it always looks good, even when a little dirty. On the Lexus the Orange really pops with the Black wheels.
I hope they are not done the first series - as Canada has not received their first batch of 450h+ yet. We were only able to start ordering them in late Dec.
Old 01-15-22, 02:04 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
One more question I had was the sound system. Since the 450h+ cannot get the ML system. How is the premium system?
I’m not an audiophile so I don’t feel qualified to assess the quality like one. But as an average consumer with an untrained ear I find that standard premium system performs fine. Volume can go louder than I need and my songs sounds like what I’d expect without any obvious deficiencies.

Originally Posted by VomieroEmu
The press cars did consumers and dealers a disservice.

when I placed my order everyone at the dealership was confused on what actually came on the car and what was available.
100% and the website doesn’t do a good job either.

Great Review. Based on my couple of days with my Cad Orange F+ I have the following comments

I will most likely hold on to this car for a long time, this hits all the notes for me.
Thanks for sharing your comments, hopefully we get more owner feedback soon. I find threads like these are helpful. These are real world experiences that aren’t really talked about by press reviews. Not being critical of the press because it takes time they don’t have but these ownership experiences are important to prospective buyers.

I agree with a lot of your feedback. I plan on keeping the NX a while too, it has everything I want in a car and is the perfect commuter for my situation. It does everything really well. I’m still in the honeymoon phase but I remain impressed and delighted with it.

Cadmium Orange looks fantastic and is such a unique color, definitely a head turner.
Old 01-15-22, 02:12 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

Originally Posted by alvinklee
Congrats! Any other issues in terms of fit or rattles or anything?
I still need to take my car in about the side mirrors vibrating.
Still no rattles but I’ve paid more attention to the side mirrors since you asked. The driver side mirror does tend to vibrate more than I’d expect over high frequency broken pavement. Passenger side seems fine.

I will wait and see before deciding to get it looked at. I saw a TSB for a similar issue on the RAV4 and it requires removing the interior door card. I trust the Lexus technicians but maybe later once the new car phase is over. I can see why it would be annoying but not a priority for me since only an issue under certain conditions and when I’m looking for it.
Old 01-15-22, 03:32 PM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRonbo
Thanks. Is this just for the 450h? I am ordering the 350h so I hope there are plans to continue with the orange color in that line.
just the 450h, that is what I was focused on. I read someplace that the 350 production will be going to Canada, but the 350h is still from Japan.
The following users liked this post:
corinvest (01-16-22)
Old 01-15-22, 06:36 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

just the 450h, that is what I was focused on. I read someplace that the 350 production will be going to Canada, but the 350h is still from Japan.
I believe the 250,350,350h will all move to Canada, while the 450h+ will remain in Japan.
Old 01-30-22, 08:19 AM
NX450h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

@Jawnathin any luck getting the profiles to load reliably? I can't figure this out and its driving me nuts!
Old 02-01-22, 03:24 AM
nycevan
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my NX450h on Sunday. I have the same QI charging not working well issue as well as the driver profile. I just linked the key to it about 10 minutes ago, I will be getting in the car again in another hour hopefully that solves it for now, I will keep you posted
Old 02-01-22, 05:06 AM
NX450h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nycevan
I just got my NX450h on Sunday. I have the same QI charging not working well issue as well as the driver profile. I just linked the key to it about 10 minutes ago, I will be getting in the car again in another hour hopefully that solves it for now, I will keep you posted
I solved my profile issues so far by not carrying the credit card sized wallet fob at the same time as the main key fob. The car clearly gets confused if you carry more than one fob at a time. I think the phone connection also can confuse it. It’s easy to put the the wallet key in your wallet or a handbag and forget about it.
Old 02-01-22, 01:40 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

Originally Posted by NX450h
@Jawnathin any luck getting the profiles to load reliably? I can't figure this out and its driving me nuts!
Loading profiles has performed much better since my original post. I’ve been following the tip from chumpchang by waiting until the profile has loaded before shifting the car out of park. It doesn’t take long so I don’t feel it’s a hassle or delay to load while I get ready to drive off.

I only carry one key. I continue to link my profile to my phone and it is not linked to a key.
Old 02-02-22, 03:32 AM
nycevan
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nycevan
So far loading the profile has worked fine after linking the key fob. Once in a while wireless car play doesnt connect right up
Old 02-04-22, 11:22 AM
eddiedimit
Driver School Candidate

Good Evening. Because I have never driven a plug in a car before. If the battery is discharged the performance of the car for example at 0-60 mph changes? In general the performance reported by the company is full of batteries? Thank you
Old 02-04-22, 01:38 PM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

The performance is virtually the same regardless. The system will not allow EV mode once the batteries are below a certain level, it always maintains a reserve. Once that level is crossed the 450 turns into a 350H with a bigger battery and motors. Once in hybrid mode the batteries are trickle charged. In my real world experience over 100 miles of highway driving I could see an increase in the main battery. The trickle charge is roughly the same speed at 110 outlet.

The system is really well designed.
The following users liked this post:
lsft (02-05-22)
Old 02-04-22, 02:14 PM
eddiedimit
Driver School Candidate

The performance is virtually the same regardless. The system will not allow EV mode once the batteries are below a certain level, it always maintains a reserve. Once that level is crossed the 450 turns into a 350H with a bigger battery and motors. Once in hybrid mode the batteries are trickle charged. In my real world experience over 100 miles of highway driving I could see an increase in the main battery. The trickle charge is roughly the same speed at 110 outlet.

The system is really well designed.
Thank you very much
Old 02-11-22, 04:19 PM
BC310
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
The steering weight is good and not too light. Compared to my sports cars (Miata, Boxster) the steering feel is numb but when compared to my previous commuter cars (Honda Clarity, Chevy Volt) it provides better feel. Overall I would characterize the steering weight as good and steering feel as somewhat vague but for this type of vehicle I think it is appropriate.

Yes, the 20" tires are run flats. My personal preference is that I do not want a numb, floaty, 'boaty' car and I prefer having a car that communicates the road conditions and what is going on underneath me. I feel the suspension does a good job absorbing the harshness of bumps while providing good feedback on the condition of the road. In other words, the road feel is present but the ride is never harsh or overwhelming. Someone who is sensitive to that and prefers the floaty/boaty feeling may find the ride busy. To me Lexus did a good job balancing sportiness with comfort and I have zero complaints about the ride. My partner who is not a car enthusiast also remarked that the ride is comfortable and superior to her past vehicles (Honda CRV).

My understanding is the adaptive suspension is always on and actively controlling the dampening of the car. When in Eco, Normal, or Sport modes, the dampers are using a 'Normal/Comfort' profile optimized for ride comfort. In Sport+ mode the dampers are set to the 'Sports' profile which is optimized for improved body control, steering, and stability. I haven't tested the Normal vs Sports profile enough to say how much of a difference there is between the two modes.
Jawnathin, would you happen to have experience driving Tesla Model Y Long Range (non-Performance)? If so, how would you compare ride comfort and steering/road feedback? Hopefully better on ride comfort?
Old 02-11-22, 04:47 PM
hnlflyer
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BC310
Jawnathin, would you happen to have experience driving Tesla Model Y Long Range (non-Performance)? If so, how would you compare ride comfort and steering/road feedback? Hopefully better on ride comfort?
Not the person you were expecting a reply from, but I'll chime in here. I have a 350h (so, slightly a sifferent experience from the plug in), but I came freom a Model Y with 20" wheels. The biggest difference is that the ride is much more comfortable. You of course don't get nearly the same level of acceleration, but it's adequate. The cabin is almost as quiet as the MY (windshield and front windows are laminated like the MY), but the steering is far more relaxed. Don't expect that sporty feeling. On the upside, I do enjoy having a higher seating position. The quality of the car itself, panel alignment and the paint are significantly better than the MY. Overall, I'm happy with the switch.
The following 2 users liked this post by hnlflyer:
BC310 (02-11-22), gcskoor (02-14-22)

Quick Reply: Early impressions and review after one week with the NX450h