Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Early impressions and review after one week with the NX450h

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-22, 06:46 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BC310
Jawnathin, would you happen to have experience driving Tesla Model Y Long Range (non-Performance)? If so, how would you compare ride comfort and steering/road feedback? Hopefully better on ride comfort?
I haven’t driven a Model Y, sorry. The only Tesla I have driven was a Model 3 Performance. In case that is of interest to you…

Ride comfort for both cars are good but I’d give the edge to the NX. The NX is smoother and glides over imperfections on the road better. While the NX drives very nicely for a 4400lb SUV it can’t match the nimble or sporty feel of the M3P.

For steering/road feel, compared to a sports car I wouldn’t say either are good but the Tesla was better and provided more feedback. I expect some of that is by design due to the type of car and owner demographic but also the shorter sidewall summer tire (Pilot Sport 4S) on the Tesla over the taller sidewall all seasons on the NX. Steering weight on both are good.
The following users liked this post:
BC310 (02-11-22)
Old 02-11-22, 07:27 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Or it maybe like Tesla... If you don't continue subscribing to a service, a few months later you receive a special offer for that service at a significantly reduced cost...
Old 02-11-22, 07:34 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Thanks for the great review! Do you have any feedback on the Goodyear run flat P235/50R20 (handling, noise, snow driving)? My NX450h Executive Package (atomic silver, black interior) is supposed to arrive on March 20, replacing my 2016 NX300h.
Old 02-11-22, 10:05 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Earman
Thanks for the great review! Do you have any feedback on the Goodyear run flat P235/50R20 (handling, noise, snow driving)? My NX450h Executive Package (atomic silver, black interior) is supposed to arrive on March 20, replacing my 2016 NX300h.
Congrats on the upcoming 450h. Certainly not an easy car to get and yours sounds like a great spec.

My car does not have Goodyears, it has the Bridgestone Alenza run flats in 235/50/20. I haven’t driven in snow or poor weather yet so I can’t comment on that. I don’t push this car hard but handling seems fine considering they are all seasons on a 4400lb SUV.

This is just a hypothesis but if true there is one thing I don’t like about the tires. As run flats they have stiff sidewalls so I think they add a certain level of harshness over sharp bumps/broken pavement. It can make the ride feel a little busy in those conditions. It isn’t terrible but this added harshness is noticeable given how well and smooth the rest of the car rides. On smoother roads or less aggressive imperfections, this isn’t noticeable.

I found that my tires were overinflated to 38psi by the dealer so I lowered them to 33 psi per the manufacturer’s spec on the door jam. That reduce some of that sharpness and improve ride quality.

Still a long time from now but when it’s time to replace the tires I do not plan on getting run flats again. I will go for a normal tire and keep an emergency inflator/repair kit in the trunk.
Old 02-11-22, 11:04 PM
jindo24
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharbor
I hear you. I bought this car because it was orange, I totally understand.

Wow that orange looks very nice. I did a review on my NX 350h recently after owning it for a month. Here are my pros and cons. :
Old 02-12-22, 02:31 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

I am assuming I will have Goodyear as this is what I saw on the first model my dealer got in (and was only available to see by customers for a few hours!). I don't like Run Flat Tires and I would love to replace them right away but I can't find a good all weather tire rated 3pmsf in the P235/50R20 size... I really wanted the Nokian WRG4 but have been told it is not available in that size... My second choice would be Michelin Crossclimate Plus but definitely not as good IMHO.

I had Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 winter tires on my NX300h and loved them. However, I rarely drive in snow in Vancouver BC so a good all weather (not all season) tire should work for me. I would get a set of snow socks to use if I ever get stuck!

Even if I don't ditch the RFT right away I will not replace them with RFT. Hopefully there will be more tires choice soon...
Old 02-12-22, 04:34 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

I am assuming I will have Goodyear as this is what I saw on the first model my dealer got in (and was only available to see by customers for a few hours!). I don't like Run Flat Tires and I would love to replace them right away but I can't find a good all weather tire rated 3pmsf in the P235/50R20 size... I really wanted the Nokian WRG4 but have been told it is not available in that size... My second choice would be Michelin Crossclimate Plus but definitely not as good IMHO.

I had Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 winter tires on my NX300h and loved them. However, I rarely drive in snow in Vancouver BC so a good all weather (not all season) tire should work for me. I would get a set of snow socks to use if I ever get stuck!

Even if I don't ditch the RFT right away I will not replace them with RFT. Hopefully there will be more tires choice soon...
The test drive vehicle in Toronto and it was Bridgestone Alenza A/S02 RFT.

Last edited by lsft; 02-12-22 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-12-22, 05:07 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Interesting, I don't know what brand I will get then! Maybe the one I saw was not the usual brand. Are you happy with those Bridgestone Alenza?

You are lucky your dealer had a test drive. My dealer did not have any and I only saw the manager's own car when it arrived. I sat in it but could not test drive at all. BTW, is is built in North America or is still coming from Japan?

Old 02-12-22, 08:35 PM
lsft
Racer

Interesting, I don't know what brand I will get then! Maybe the one I saw was not the usual brand. Are you happy with those Bridgestone Alenza?

You are lucky your dealer had a test drive. My dealer did not have any and I only saw the manager's own car when it arrived. I sat in it but could not test drive at all. BTW, is is built in North America or is still coming from Japan?
The 450h+ will be made in Japan only. The one I test drove was from Japan of course. I didn't feel the tires were that bad. I test drove the F Sport 3 package which also has AVS. The ride comfort was much better than my 2018 NX300 FSport. I drove over a bad condition road with the 450h+ and didn't feel the bumps much. After I left the dealership, I drove over the same road and it was bad. It's definitely more "Lexus" than my 2018 model. The heard the tires a little, but it doesn't effect my drive. I can't wait....
The following users liked this post:
Earman (02-13-22)
Old 02-13-22, 04:20 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lsft
The 450h+ will be made in Japan only. The one I test drove was from Japan of course. I didn't feel the tires were that bad. I test drove the F Sport 3 package which also has AVS. The ride comfort was much better than my 2018 NX300 FSport. I drove over a bad condition road with the 450h+ and didn't feel the bumps much. After I left the dealership, I drove over the same road and it was bad. It's definitely more "Lexus" than my 2018 model. The heard the tires a little, but it doesn't effect my drive. I can't wait....
Thanks for the info. I am glad to hear your first experience with the tires is not as bad as I thought it might be! I still have about 1 month to wait for delivery and I can't wait either!
Old 02-13-22, 05:02 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jindo24
Wow that orange looks very nice. I did a review on my NX 350h recently after owning it for a month. Here are my pros and cons. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzHAMJXi69A
Thanks for your interesting review of your 300h! I have ordered a NX 450h but there are a lot of features in common with the 300h, so it is still quite useful information!

As you mentioned keeping food in the trunk in case of emergency I thought I would report what happened to me 8 years ago when I still had a Prius.

I had also left well sealed emergency food packs in the trunk, in the tray just above the spare tire and underneath the trunk flooring. One day I opened the passenger rear door and saw a lot of upholstery foam dust and foam pieces all over the seat... and a 2.5" hole at the bottom of the leather seat!

I opened the trunk, lifted the flooring panel and found that the emergency food bags had been torn apart and eaten. I removed the tray covering the spare tire. There was a rat nest in it but, fortunately, no rats jumped at me, it was empty!

Rats had been attracted by the food and got in by eating through the light fabric grill protecting the hybrid battery vent inside the trunk. They had made their nest underneath the spare tire then, when there was no more emergency food left, they ate through the rear bench from underneath digging a tunnel into the seat and emerging in the passenger space of the vehicle...

When I called my insurance company I thought they would not believe me. I was surprised to hear is was a fairly common issue and not restricted to Priuses! I got the car fixed (over $7,000) and I don't leave food permanently in any trunk since... I just have a small emergency bag I leave in the garage and put it in the car when I go on a trip.

So I suggest to be careful about leaving emergency food in the car as rodents may find the way to get in...

The exit of the "tunnel" from the trunk

Entry point through the hybrid battery vent

The nest underneath spare tire

Last edited by Earman; 02-13-22 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
The following 4 users liked this post by Earman:
Jawnathin (02-13-22), ratheesh (02-14-22), shiftD7 (02-13-22), websurfer (02-13-22)
Old 02-13-22, 06:54 PM
Nx350fspt
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jindo24
Wow that orange looks very nice. I did a review on my NX 350h recently after owning it for a month. Here are my pros and cons. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzHAMJXi69A
If I see one more post about your review on YouTube brother. Please stop
The following 3 users liked this post by Nx350fspt:
dklanecky1 (02-14-22), hintonwood (02-13-22), NiCoRe (02-13-22)
Old 03-26-22, 07:24 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Congrats on the upcoming 450h. Certainly not an easy car to get and yours sounds like a great spec.

My car does not have Goodyears, it has the Bridgestone Alenza run flats in 235/50/20. I haven’t driven in snow or poor weather yet so I can’t comment on that. I don’t push this car hard but handling seems fine considering they are all seasons on a 4400lb SUV.

This is just a hypothesis but if true there is one thing I don’t like about the tires. As run flats they have stiff sidewalls so I think they add a certain level of harshness over sharp bumps/broken pavement. It can make the ride feel a little busy in those conditions. It isn’t terrible but this added harshness is noticeable given how well and smooth the rest of the car rides. On smoother roads or less aggressive imperfections, this isn’t noticeable.

I found that my tires were overinflated to 38psi by the dealer so I lowered them to 33 psi per the manufacturer’s spec on the door jam. That reduce some of that sharpness and improve ride quality.Still a long time from now but when it’s time to replace the tires I do not plan on getting run flats again. I will go for a normal tire and keep an emergency inflator/repair kit in the trunk.
I got my NX-450h+ with Executive package (Canada) yesterday. I was so happy. BTW it came with the Run flat P235/50R20 Bridgestone Alenza AVS02.

Then this morning nothing works anymore: I cannot unlock the doors...

I manually opened the door and the display showed “Parking Brake Unavailable” and the car would not start. The led over the headlights started to flash and the windshield wipers moved randomly. No way to start the engine even with the FOB next to the start button. I tried various thing but nothing worked and eventually the screen turned blank.

The 12 v battery was dead, 1 day after getting the car!

So I now know that when you see “Parking Brake Unavailable” it maybe something related with the brake but it may also be the indication the 12v battery is dying!

When we were at the dealership getting delivery we spent about an hour in the car programming various things while on ACC. Then I spent about 30 minutes on my own at home programming my wife’s profile as secondary driver.

So it looks like 1.5 hour on ACC is enough to totally drain the 12v battery. There is no warning. On my previous car (NX300h) when I was listening tom radio on ACC after about 10 minutes the radio would turn off and a message was popping saying this was done to preserve the 12v battery. Nothing like that on this model.

The car is going to service tomorrow to check the battery and possibly the charge system for it.

The reason I spent 30 minutes trying to program my wife’s profile is that something did not work properly. When on my profile (main driver) the seats/mirrors would adjust automatically when the profile loaded. The 3 memory button on the door were also working fine to set the seats position. While on my wife’s profile, her name was recognized but the seats/ mirror did not move and the 3 memory buttons stopped working as well. Switching back to my profile, everything worked fine...

I guess it will take some time to get through those little programming problems...

The moral of the story, don’t spend time programming the car while on ACC it will drain the battery really fast.

The following 2 users liked this post by Earman:
gnatuw (03-28-22), lsft (03-26-22)
Old 03-26-22, 08:22 PM
lsft
Racer

Congrats on your new car. I also picked up my 450h+ a few days ago. However, when i setup my vehicle, it just had it on and not on ACC only. I assume you got a boost and running it to charge the 12V battery
Old 03-26-22, 08:28 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lsft
Congrats on your new car. I also picked up my 450h+ a few days ago. However, when i setup my vehicle, it just had it on and not on ACC only. I assume you got a boost and running it to charge the 12V battery
Thanks! Actually that's what I wanted to do but the dealership wants to tow the car to the service department to make sure there is nothing else wrong besides the dead battery... As it is only 1 day old, I am not going to argue, so it will go Monday morning.
Congrats on yours! Does your secondary driver profile work to move the seats and mirrors?
Cheers,
Patrick

Quick Reply: Early impressions and review after one week with the NX450h