Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

NX 350h vs 450h+?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 08:13 PM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NX 350h vs 450h+?

Hello,
We are trying to decide on our next car. Tesla Y is too rough for me, makes me carsick and will be sold. RX350 is too big for us however, with acceptable ride.

My ideal car is ES350 because it is so smooth but my wife wants an SUV so NX may work for both of us. I wanted a hybrid because it generally provides a smoother ride and should have extra sound deadening due to slightly louder 4 cyl gasoline engine. Now plug in should make for even quieter ride in EV mode. How much extra weight of 450 battery effects the ride given extra horse power?
Old 01-21-22, 09:14 PM
chumpchang
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by radiologym
Hello,
We are trying to decide on our next car. Tesla Y is too rough for me, makes me carsick and will be sold. RX350 is too big for us however, with acceptable ride.

My ideal car is ES350 because it is so smooth but my wife wants an SUV so NX may work for both of us. I wanted a hybrid because it generally provides a smoother ride and should have extra sound deadening due to slightly louder 4 cyl gasoline engine. Now plug in should make for even quieter ride in EV mode. How much extra weight of 450 battery effects the ride given extra horse power?
350h and 450h use the same 4 cylinder engine. Theoretically, the 450h will give you a quieter ride as it doesn’t rely on the gas engine as much to get to speed, but they will sound the same in the end. I’ve heard some people complain about the hybrid acoustic generator in the 450h but I haven’t had any issues in the 350h. For an every day normal person, the ride quality will be the same. You’ll notice the extra weight when you start thrashing it around corners and hard braking.
Old 01-21-22, 09:41 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chumpchang
350h and 450h use the same 4 cylinder engine. Theoretically, the 450h will give you a quieter ride as it doesn’t rely on the gas engine as much to get to speed, but they will sound the same in the end. I’ve heard some people complain about the hybrid acoustic generator in the 450h but I haven’t had any issues in the 350h. For an every day normal person, the ride quality will be the same. You’ll notice the extra weight when you start thrashing it around corners and hard braking.
TBH i think the RX hybrid will have a better ride and sound deadening overall if you are focused on that. The 450h+ acoustic generator is annoying slightly under 25 mph but I am used to it now. However, its a comfortable ride overall and I am loving it so far driving locally with no gas but using gas when necessary. It does have wind noise I must say at higher speeds.
Old 01-21-22, 10:10 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 450h. I have not driven a 350h. I have driven a Model 3 Performance so I am familiar with Teslas.

Based on reviews and what I’ve read the 450h will be noticeably quicker than the 350h but both will be slow compared to your Tesla. Handling wise I’d expect the 350h to be better because it’s lighter but the battery in the 450h is low so it’s not too huge of a penalty. Either way these aren’t sports cars, they are 4000+lb SUVs and while it handles well for what it is, expectations should be managed. For ride quality I expect both to ride equally well. Overall I am pleased with how my 450h F Sport rides.

The major benefit of the 450h is the ability to drive EV only for 36+ miles. I expect to get over 40 miles during summer. In EV mode the gas engine isn’t running so the car will be very quiet and smooth. You also save time and money by not needing to stop at the gas station often. Compared to your Tesla, 35-40 miles may not sound like much but if your daily mileage is under 40 miles you won’t use much if any gas at all. In the two weeks with my 450h I’ve used less than a gallon of gas. The downside to the 450h is that it is more difficult to find and more expensive than the 350h. Though if you can find a 450h before the EV credits are phased out the price gap is much closer.

It is worth noting that while the 350h will use more gas than a plug-in, it is still a hybrid and has quite good fuel economy overall. It won’t be a gas guzzler by any means.

Both are going to be very good cars. I’d say it comes down to whether you are willing to pay the premium for the benefits of a plug-in hybrid or if you prefer a less expensive vehicle that is more dependent on it’s gas engine.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 01-21-22 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 10:12 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

Most if not all EV/hybrids have some type of noise generator at low speeds to alert pedestrians. I hardly notice it on my 450h, I need to listen for it if I want to hear it. My previous Honda Clarity PHEV was much louder.
Old 01-22-22, 06:06 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking I really want Mark Levinson so I have to get the 350h

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
I have a 450h. I have not driven a 350h. I have driven a Model 3 Performance so I am familiar with Teslas.

Based on reviews and what I’ve read the 450h will be noticeably quicker than the 350h but both will be slow compared to your Tesla. Handling wise I’d expect the 350h to be better because it’s lighter but the battery in the 450h is low so it’s not too huge of a penalty. Either way these aren’t sports cars, they are 4000+lb SUVs and while it handles well for what it is, expectations should be managed. For ride quality I expect both to ride equally well. Overall I am pleased with how my 450h F Sport rides.

The major benefit of the 450h is the ability to drive EV only for 36+ miles. I expect to get over 40 miles during summer. In EV mode the gas engine isn’t running so the car will be very quiet and smooth. You also save time and money by not needing to stop at the gas station often. Compared to your Tesla, 35-40 miles may not sound like much but if your daily mileage is under 40 miles you won’t use much if any gas at all. In the two weeks with my 450h I’ve used less than a gallon of gas. The downside to the 450h is that it is more difficult to find and more expensive than the 350h. Though if you can find a 450h before the EV credits are phased out the price gap is much closer.

It is worth noting that while the 350h will use more gas than a plug-in, it is still a hybrid and has quite good fuel economy overall. It won’t be a gas guzzler by any means.

Both are going to be very good cars. I’d say it comes down to whether you are willing to pay the premium for the benefits of a plug-in hybrid or if you prefer a less expensive vehicle that is more dependent on it’s gas engine.
I am getting a fully loaded 2022 Lexus NX 350h at $55K. I would have gotten the 450h+ at 60K but the 450h+ does not offer all of the packages and options that the 350h does, specifically the Mark Levison audio among other packages/options. If Mark Levinson was offered, I would have gotten the 450h+.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 01-22-22, 06:46 AM
radiologym
Pit Crew

If it was car for me, ML would be a must and my next ES will have it again.

We are replacing both Tesla Y and RX350 my wife using, so decided on NX. Granted, NX will not ride as well as my old ES350 but not many cars can come close. Tesla Y is a cheaply made EV, sporty handling with rough regenerating breaking are main issues for me. Our fully loaded RX is a beautifully engineered car but feels as large slower car now that my wife used to Tesla, too bad lot of people get car sick in the dual motor Y.

RX would serve us until NX can be found and probably will be slightly smoother and quieter that NX due to larger size/wheel base and better sound insulation? I suppose we can go for 17 inch wheel NX to help with ride.

450h would probably drive closer to Y than 350h but not sure what are my chances to get 450h before 7.5k rebate runs out. What are waiting estimates 350h vs 450h?

Last edited by radiologym; 01-22-22 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-22-22, 08:27 AM
chumpchang
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

If it was car for me, ML would be a must and my next ES will have it again.

We are replacing both Tesla Y and RX350 my wife using, so decided on NX. Granted, NX will not ride as well as my old ES350 but not many cars can come close. Tesla Y is a cheaply made EV, sporty handling with rough regenerating breaking are main issues for me. Our fully loaded RX is a beautifully engineered car but feels as large slower car now that my wife used to Tesla, too bad lot of people get car sick in the dual motor Y.

RX would serve us until NX can be found and probably will be slightly smoother and quieter that NX due to larger size/wheel base and better sound insulation? I suppose we can go for 17 inch wheel NX to help with ride.

450h would probably drive closer to Y than 350h but not sure what are my chances to get 450h before 7.5k rebate runs out. What are waiting estimates 350h vs 450h?
I'd say the current NX 350h will be better than the RX 350 in just about every way. I've driven the RX and the new NX ride is even with the RX. The NX 350h has a faster 0-60 time than the RX as well. No real reason to get the current RX unless you really want the extra space.
The following users liked this post:
radiologym (01-30-22)
Old 01-22-22, 09:17 AM
radiologym
Pit Crew

Will loaded Rav 4 hybrid or prime be a big step down in ride quality in comparison to NX? Interior on NX looks better

Last edited by radiologym; 01-22-22 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-22-22, 10:14 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Angry NX is better!

Will loaded Rav 4 hybrid or prime be a big step down in ride quality in comparison to NX?
Yes and added noise level and less luxurious options. But hey, the RAV4 Prme costs less ( even with mark-up) is faster, gets better mileage, has a longer EV range and is very limited in exterior color selection.
Old 01-22-22, 03:23 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

one thing to think about is availability . Here in Los Angeles , my dealer said that the wait for a 350h is probably 9 months , 450h a year or more !!! Have to put down a $500 refundable deposit to get in line .
one other option is to consider a certified pre owned nx hybrid of the last generation
as for me, I may keep my 2016 ES 300h a bit longer !!
Old 01-22-22, 03:24 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

by the way, I agree about Tesla Y. I do like the RX also so debating between RX and NX but RX hybrids are not easy to find too, but not nearly as rare as the new NX
Old 01-22-22, 04:58 PM
Jawnathin
Driver

The RAV4 Prime is a very nice vehicle. I was cross shopping one but went with the NX450h when I got an allocation for near MSRP while the Toyota dealers insisted on crazy markups for the RAV. The RAV is a Toyota but it isn’t cheap, loaded similarly to the NX450h is basically $50k. All things considered, the purchase difference between my NX and the RAV was much smaller than the MSRP would suggest. While I would have been happy with the RAV, I am very pleased I was able to get an NX and no regrets skipping the RAV.

If your priorities is drivetrain and reliability and you want to save some coin then the RAV is a good choice. If you care about having a higher quality experience like quieter ride, higher quality interior fit and finish, and bigger and newer infotainment then go for the NX. In addition to the stuff mentioned above, it’s all the small stuff that adds up to an overall nicer vehicle. For example the RAV doesn’t have power folding mirrors or backlit interior buttons.
HeavenSold (02-15-22)
Old 01-23-22, 06:38 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I went in to order the new NX last week in Vancouver and I suffered a tremendous sticker shock when I saw the price of the 450h+🤣

Eventually I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 450h+ and went with the 350h.

Now the wait begins, but I'm really excited to get it. The test drive was really nice.

Last edited by LStoneX; 01-23-22 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 06:59 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LStoneX
I went in to order the new NX last week in Vancouver and I suffered a tremendous sticker shock when I saw the price of the 450h+🤣

Eventually I just couldn't pull the trigger on the 450h+ and went with the 350h.

Now the wait begins, butt in really excited to get it. The test drive was really nice.
If it wasn't for the 7.5 federal tax credit, I dont think I could have justified the nx450h+ for the price.
Norcal001 (01-24-22)

Quick Reply: NX 350h vs 450h+?