Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

My 450h is back from service…and…and.. (update, replacement?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22 | 09:37 AM
KingKewl
Driver

Originally Posted by Peterun
Thanks so much, TechNut and lsft. Such good advice. I do not think my NX was defective. Nor do I think my iPhone 13 Pro is defective. That’s why I’m so hesitant to do the replacement. I have the option of holding on to the one I’m in and special configuring and ordering an NX450h until the new one arrives. Lexus will take my NX back at the time of delivery. Perhaps that will give Lexus the necessary time to make the correction.

My lingering question is….what is the percentage of new owners….with newer iPhones, having similar issues? Is it a small percentage? I’m unwilling to take the deep dive back in, unless I’m assured of a non repeat. There is always the option of the RAV Prime XSE (8,500 miles currently).which my husband has. As perfect a vehicle as anyone can hope for…right out of the box. It sits in our garage right next to my NX450h (when it hasn’t been in service).
Anecdotal..but I have an iPhone 13 Pro and I have no issues for the most part. I’ve had a couple times the phone didn’t connect via Bluetooth. Just turned off the car and was able to connect again.
Old 02-17-22 | 09:54 AM
nx450hfspt
Driver

Thanks so much, TechNut and lsft. Such good advice. I do not think my NX was defective. Nor do I think my iPhone 13 Pro is defective. That’s why I’m so hesitant to do the replacement. I have the option of holding on to the one I’m in and special configuring and ordering an NX450h until the new one arrives. Lexus will take my NX back at the time of delivery. Perhaps that will give Lexus the necessary time to make the correction.

My lingering question is….what is the percentage of new owners….with newer iPhones, having similar issues? Is it a small percentage? I’m unwilling to take the deep dive back in, unless I’m assured of a non repeat. There is always the option of the RAV Prime XSE (8,500 miles currently).which my husband has. As perfect a vehicle as anyone can hope for…right out of the box. It sits in our garage right next to my NX450h (when it hasn’t been in service).
I have NX450h F Sport working fine with iPhone 13 Pro Max so far. I do try to keep it simple: one account, one profile, nothing fancy.
Old 02-17-22 | 10:42 AM
midcow3
Racer

Exclamation it is a software issue' Lexus is working on it and will have it fixed soon!

@Peterun

It is a software issue. Lexus has too many options and didn't think users would try to use them all at once. I started a thread with the circumvention: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...errerid=161523

Several people have followed this advice and it works. Right now figure out one simple way to access your car and one profile. When Lexus issues their software update then you can use as many methods to start your car, change your seat memory, and other memory settings, and use multiple profiles.

Your 450h+ is a great car ( would have been my choice, if ML were offered) and if I were you I would keep it. Be patient Lexus is working on fixing the problem,

Good Luck and Peace,

MidCow3

Old 02-17-22 | 11:33 AM
ctripps2k
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by midcow3
@Peterun

It is a software issue. Lexus has too many options and didn't think users would try to use them all at once. I started a thread with the circumvention: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...errerid=161523

Several people have followed this advice and it works. Right now figure out one simple way to access your car and one profile. When Lexus issues their software update then you can use as many methods to start your car, change your seat memory, and other memory settings, and use multiple profiles.

Your 450h+ is a great car ( would have been my choice, if ML were offered) and if I were you I would keep it. Be patient Lexus is working on fixing the problem,

Good Luck and Peace,

MidCow3
is this information confirmed by Lexus or just your speculation? If it is confirmed by Lexus how about a link.
Old 02-17-22 | 11:34 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Thanks to all of you. And thank you, Midcow, especially, for understanding my frustration. NX450hfst: Yes…I have kept it very simple from day 1. One profile, one phone. Factory tech deleted profile a few times, including the app on the phone. Despite all efforts, it repeatedly fails. I do not care about the seat memory issues; I do not care about the Parkinsonisn driver’s side mirror; I hardly care about the fact that I must lower the volume before giving any voice command. I care about using my phone, sending and receiving texts while driving. Plus, I find the many dominating messages on the screens very distracting.

Separately, I actually like the audio quality of the standard system, despite my initial misgivings. That said, Apple Music sound quality is a bust. It’s also a bust on the ML sound my ES f sport loaner had.

And lastly….here’s today’s mpg driving to San Diego from the Desert: 93.2 mpg. I had 39 mile EV range this AM (A/C off). I’m 75 miles into the trip now. I like to charge while driving when I’m going downhill. I’ll do that now.
Old 02-17-22 | 03:37 PM
BC310
Driver

Peterun, thanks for sharing your saga with us all, so it's something for us to watch out for.

Given how much you generally like the 450h+, I'm with others in saying that you should either keep yours or order a like replacement. The latter option will give you additional time to figure out what to do while you wait for the replacement (which you could ultimately decline if you change your mind by then). But get it all in writing, and hopefully also that you have the option to return yours at any time before the replacement for a full refund.

I'm not sure if you mentioned trying this before...
- Have you/others tried setting up a profile in your current car to see if the same problems happen with their devices? If they do, then it's likely your car's problem. Further, if those same devices as well as your own work fine in other NXs, then it's even clearer your car is the problem.
- On the flip side, you might try using a different/new iPhone (you can buy the same model) in your car, and see if you have the same issues. If the problems go away, then maybe your current phone is the problem. (Purchases directly from Apple Store are very easy to return within the return window. Or Costco purchases are easy with a longer return window. And if it works, your current phone probably has good resale value).

Here's hoping you find your rainbow at the end of the storm. 🌈

Last edited by BC310; 02-17-22 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-17-22 | 10:50 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Thanks so much for the well wishes, BC310. My iPhone 13 Pro works perfectly with other vehicles. I’m not about to trade the phone in. I’m burnt out…and I was a bit of a sloth before all of this. Lexus corporate called me late in the day. They have a Cloudburst with black 450h arriving at the end of March. They put my name on it. Plus, different from yesterday, Lexus offered me a full refund if I choose. I have until the end of March to decide. Fair enough, I’d say. The trip over the mountain to San Diego today was terrific. Did not know that the adaptive cruise will change lanes perfectly…if the directional is on and there’s sufficient clearance. Definitely “next level” adaptive cruise.

Sad to say that all hell broke loose tonight….all memory was gone…everything. It switched me to “guest mode.” It was a clean slate. I switched to my personal profile…clicked in the 6 number code. Took it….but still, memory wiped out. All the while, the NX drove perfectly.

I believe someone on the forum suggested that I totally remove my profile, delete the app on my phone, and give the system no choices. I would remain in guest mode. Easy enough to delete the app. What about completely deleting my profile on the screen? Not sure it’s as simple as it sounds. Any ideas? Is this process worth doing? Or perhaps I should shop around for a different SUV? I actually like the Toyota Venza Limited. I also like the X5…very different, I know. Comfort, reliability, and decent mpg is important to me. Ideas?
Old 02-18-22 | 08:32 AM
nx450hfspt
Driver

I believe someone on the forum suggested that I totally remove my profile, delete the app on my phone, and give the system no choices. I would remain in guest mode. Easy enough to delete the app. What about completely deleting my profile on the screen? Not sure it’s as simple as it sounds. Any ideas? Is this process worth doing?
I think it's a good idea to delete everything, including asking Lexus to delete anything they store on their backend that are related to you so you do get a complete clean state to start over again.
Old 02-18-22 | 10:48 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Thanks, NX450h. Not sure why I continue with this. As you know, my NX is under lemon law now….and Lexus has settled that….with grace. Yet…I keep trying to find a way to coexist with the many issues. Any prudent person would tell me to take the money and run. Yet…I truly love this NX. A victim once…not twice. The easiest solution would be to go to the RX450h Luxury. Boring, but ultra reliable. And it will not come close to the mpg I achieve on the NX450h. The lower photo is represents a 120 mile drive over the mountain to San Diego from Palm Springs…plus 25 miles of city. 70 degree temp.

Last edited by Peterun; 02-18-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-19-22 | 07:30 AM
NX450h
Driver

@Peterun I’m so sorry you are having all these problems.

Clearly Lexus has software issues, but that doesn’t mean your car doesn’t have hardware issues also. I think everyone who has tried to set up multiple profiles has hit issues but what you are describing sounds worse even. It is definitely possible that yours has defective Bluetooth/Wi-Fi hardware. I would be inclined to go into the dealership and try to setup your phone with a different nx450h and test drive it. If things are better then take the new car that is offered.

My personal experience is single profile single fob works fine. If you have two fobs then the problem is the second will be always recognized as a guest profile which is annoying.
Im very curious if anyone out there has 2 people sharing a car with 2 fobs and NOT hitting the guest profile pop up.

Old 02-19-22 | 08:48 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Thanks, NX450h. Appreciated. I can only say that everything imaginable has been tried. Calum, from the factory, has a sound knowledge of these cars. He had my phone for a full day…everything “software” was removed and reinstalled. There is zero consistency…it works, it doesn’t work. Fortunately, none of this effects the drivability of this vehicle. As an FYI, I’ve never attempted to connect the digital key, I’ve never used the second key. And I’ve never tried to establish a second profile. I do wear an Apple 7 watch…and it has its own cellular number which is tied into my iPhone.

My quandary is what do I replace the NX with? The new one will be delivered in late March, if I still want it. Corporate has been incredibly helpful….my misgivings are understood. Obviously, the price of the NX450h puts it up there in GLE350 or X5 territory. Tempting…..but then, in these times, 21 real time mpg has no appeal. Plus, we all know about the future of gasoline driven engines. A very limited future.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-19-22 | 11:30 AM
NX450h
Driver

Thanks, NX450h. Appreciated. I can only say that everything imaginable has been tried. Calum, from the factory, has a sound knowledge of these cars. He had my phone for a full day…everything “software” was removed and reinstalled. There is zero consistency…it works, it doesn’t work. Fortunately, none of this effects the drivability of this vehicle. As an FYI, I’ve never attempted to connect the digital key, I’ve never used the second key. And I’ve never tried to establish a second profile. I do wear an Apple 7 watch…and it has its own cellular number which is tied into my iPhone.

My quandary is what do I replace the NX with? The new one will be delivered in late March, if I still want it. Corporate has been incredibly helpful….my misgivings are understood. Obviously, the price of the NX450h puts it up there in GLE350 or X5 territory. Tempting…..but then, in these times, 21 real time mpg has no appeal. Plus, we all know about the future of gasoline driven engines. A very limited future.

Any suggestions?
I think you need to find out if your car is worse than another 450h+ by trying a different 450h. If that’s case it’s easy just take the replacement corporate is offering. I agree the car is great when it works. The drivetrain appears to be rock solid. It’s the infotainment software (and maybe hardware) that has bugs.

If you test drive another car and it still has the same problems that are unacceptable then I’d shop around. Lots of great cars coming out this year, especially EVs.
Old 02-19-22 | 11:56 AM
Lexus22563
Intermediate

Get the hybrid.
Old 02-19-22 | 07:04 PM
georgein97
Driver School Candidate

Default We got locked out of our 350h today and other issues.

Our two week old 350h locked us out today. The emergency flashers were on and the doors wouldn't unlock. Once we got it we pulled the battery out of the key fob and reconnected to the system following a prompt by holding the key fob to the power button switch and we were able to drive off.
We have also been having issues with other elements of the interface system similar to what is described above.
Our lane departure system is also not functioning.
All this is consistent with a vehicle that does not appear to be ready for use.
It's going to the dealer Monday to see if it threw a code and whatever other information and corrective measures can be performed.
Also, we have Bridgestone Alenza a/s 02 Run Flat Tires in 235 60 18 and there seem to not be any extra tires available anywhere. We got one at our dealer but no others can be found in the Lexus system. Also, btw, there is no spare, no jack etc. If you damage a tire and you are buying 4 new ones. Even with a minor puncture, we have no portable 12V air pump nor 'Fix A Flat' repair means.
This is all unacceptable.
Old 02-19-22 | 07:17 PM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by georgein97
Our two week old 350h locked us out today. The emergency flashers were on and the doors wouldn't unlock. Once we got it we pulled the battery out of the key fob and reconnected to the system following a prompt by holding the key fob to the power button switch and we were able to drive off.
We have also been having issues with other elements of the interface system similar to what is described above.
Our lane departure system is also not functioning.
All this is consistent with a vehicle that does not appear to be ready for use.
It's going to the dealer Monday to see if it threw a code and whatever other information and corrective measures can be performed.
Also, we have Bridgestone Alenza a/s 02 Run Flat Tires in 235 60 18 and there seem to not be any extra tires available anywhere. We got one at our dealer but no others can be found in the Lexus system. Also, btw, there is no spare, no jack etc. If you damage a tire and you are buying 4 new ones. Even with a minor puncture, we have no portable 12V air pump nor 'Fix A Flat' repair means.
This is all unacceptable.
Confused... Locked out but you somehow got in ... Key fob battery issue or what was done to fix it?

Shortage of supplies all over the world is not a Lexus problem. Run flats allow you to drive even with puncture. If there are concerns, a portable air pump is cheap to buy and put in the trunk.

Quick Reply: My 450h is back from service…and…and.. (update, replacement?)