Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

2022 NX 450h+ Charging findings

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 09:58 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 610 Likes on 412 Posts

I'm actually looking at the EVDoubler 120V as I do not have 240V in my garage and if I need to add one, I will need to upgrade my full panel. Waiting for Canadian government on any rebates when installing charging stations at home.

The current 12 hr charging time is OK for me at the moment, but reducing that to 6 hrs will definitely be a winner for me. I really don't need 2.5 hrs at this time. I have another 120V from another breaker already in my garage, so wanted to give this a try.
Old 04-02-22, 04:41 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I'm actually looking at the EVDoubler 120V as I do not have 240V in my garage and if I need to add one, I will need to upgrade my full panel. Waiting for Canadian government on any rebates when installing charging stations at home.

The current 12 hr charging time is OK for me at the moment, but reducing that to 6 hrs will definitely be a winner for me. I really don't need 2.5 hrs at this time. I have another 120V from another breaker already in my garage, so wanted to give this a try.
Do you really need a charging station? I believe Canadian NX450 is already equipped with the 6.6KW charger and all you need is the 240 v source with some sort of adaptor.
Old 04-02-22, 08:49 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
Do you really need a charging station? I believe Canadian NX450 is already equipped with the 6.6KW charger and all you need is the 240 v source with some sort of adaptor.
Getting a charging station will reduce your charge time (normally) from 5 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours. The 5 1/2 hours is based on using a 240V adapter with the standard Lexus charge cable. Actually if you are okay with the 5 1/2 hour charge time, it is probably better for your battery (slower charges are better than fast charges from what I've been told).
The following 3 users liked this post by twitte:
450hPlus (11-03-22), lsft (04-16-22), Lurker9 (04-02-22)
Old 04-02-22, 09:25 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

Default Programmed charging times stopped working

I programmed my car to charge every night at midnight and have been using this schedule for a couple of months. Recently after turning off the car, I told it to start charging "now" since it was a weekend and the rates were low. My programmed charging stopped working after this and the only way to get the car to charge in the middle of the night was to manually turn on the charging using my Lexus app (I probably could have gone out to the car but the app was easier). I checked the charging programming schedule in my car and it was still set to charge at midnight. Nothing had changed even though it wasn't charging at midnight. I called Lexus support and they said this is the first time they had been told about this charging issue. The person I talked to suggested I reprogram the car and instead of using 12:00 midnight, use 12:05 am. I reprogrammed the car to charge at 12:05 am and now everything is working again. I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem?
The following users liked this post:
Klamalama (10-23-22)
Old 04-02-22, 05:00 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twitte
Getting a charging station will reduce your charge time (normally) from 5 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours. The 5 1/2 hours is based on using a 240V adapter with the standard Lexus charge cable. Actually if you are okay with the 5 1/2 hour charge time, it is probably better for your battery (slower charges are better than fast charges from what I've been told).
This is good to know. I already have a 240v outlet in my garage.
Old 04-04-22, 06:54 AM
lsft
Racer

This is good to know. I already have a 240v outlet in my garage.
Lucky you... most homes don't have 240V in garage unless the own an EV and had it setup previously. Wonder if new homes will start wiring 240Vs in the garage for EV cars of the future.
Old 04-04-22, 04:49 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

My house didn't come with the 240V outlet in the garage. I had it installed when I put in the car lift last year. I anticipated owning an EV.
Old 04-05-22, 06:00 AM
lsft
Racer

My house didn't come with the 240V outlet in the garage. I had it installed when I put in the car lift last year. I anticipated owning an EV.
How much did it cost? Did you need to upgrade your main panel?
Old 04-05-22, 09:07 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

The electrician had to reorganized my panel in order to provide 2 dedicated circuits for the lift and the EV charger. It was not cheap at $1400. I am going to bring him back tomorrow to verify if I have the proper setup.
lsft (04-05-22)
Old 04-06-22, 09:02 AM
twitte
Pit Crew

The installation of my 240V plug in my garage cost me $500 to have installed. They had to run new wiring from my circuit panel on the outside of my house, over a room on the first floor, into my garage and mount the 240V socket on the wall next to my solar storage battery. The price will probably vary depending on the company you use and how much work they have to do. I used my solar installation company since they were familiar with everything already. There were already some empty spaces for them to use on the main circuit panel so they were able to install a couple new breaker switches without a new panel.

Last edited by twitte; 04-06-22 at 09:05 AM.
lsft (04-07-22)
Old 04-06-22, 09:17 AM
englandsf
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tesla adapter

Anyone used a Tesla Gen 2 wall charger and a J1772 adapter to charge their NX? What MPG did you see?
Old 04-07-22, 03:31 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

The electrician had to reorganized my panel in order to provide 2 dedicated circuits for the lift and the EV charger. It was not cheap at $1400. I am going to bring him back tomorrow to verify if I have the proper setup.
The electrician did not think going the adapter route with the Lexus charging cable is wise. He thinks I should get the Level 2 charger. I am not totally convinced and might get another opinion.
Old 04-07-22, 07:18 AM
lsft
Racer

The installation of my 240V plug in my garage cost me $500 to have installed. They had to run new wiring from my circuit panel on the outside of my house, over a room on the first floor, into my garage and mount the 240V socket on the wall next to my solar storage battery. The price will probably vary depending on the company you use and how much work they have to do. I used my solar installation company since they were familiar with everything already. There were already some empty spaces for them to use on the main circuit panel so they were able to install a couple new breaker switches without a new panel.
I just have a 125Amp panel and adding another 30-50Amp 240V circuit may not be the best thing to do. I can't charge the car, run my dryer and stove all at one time.. most likely will jump the circuit and that is why I didn't want to go full in until I move onto EV and make that investment. Having a EVDoubler 240V 15Amp to reduce the charging time is all I really need at this time.
twitte (04-07-22)
Old 04-15-22, 08:00 PM
Wsmalley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the $1.32 per charge is per day to top off the battery after I have run it down. The battery really doesn't run all the way down, the car switches from EV mode to HV mode before it runs out. But it basically runs down to about the same amount each day. The key is to call your local gas and electric utility and ask them to put you on their EV charging plan so you get the lowest rate possible (not every area offers this). Then set the automatic charging time to charge automatically each day at the lowest rate time period (for me it is 12am to 6 am and weekends/holidays). I haven't used any public chargers yet but the company that I just purchased my Chargepoint system from has charging systems all over the US. Once you set up an account with them for your home charger (no cost) they set you up to use their public chargers (for a charge). I'm not sure what it costs. Right now all my charging is at home at night while I sleep. Both the car (Lexus app) and Chargepoint app allow you to set up automatic charging for the time you want it to turn on. The Lexus app allows you to turn on the charging at a specific time or tell it when you want the car charged by (end time).
I’m wondering if you’re still happy with this vehicle and the charging station! If I were to get the Chargepoint station, do I need any adapters for that?
Old 04-17-22, 07:52 AM
englandsf
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tesla adapter

Anyone using this with a Tesla Gen 2 charger? Charge time?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply: 2022 NX 450h+ Charging findings