Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Several "DISLIKES" so far on my 350h premium package

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-22, 01:46 PM
Lunfengzhe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Several "DISLIKES" so far on my 350h premium package

I am sure most of the features on 2022 NX are what you like and preferred, I think that's why you are here. I do have mine either. However, after two weeks I have my 350h premium package, I would like to share some my own "DISLIKEs" I have so far.
I have the standard premium package with my 350h, plus heated wheel, wireless charging, illumination, 14-inch touchscreen, smart key. NO HUD, NO ML sounds.
I used to drive a 2018 Honda Accord EX-L, so sometimes I definitely will compare those two. I thought that I got a level-up car with this Lexus compared to my old one, however, sometimes it is really hard to say.

OK, Let me start.
1. the first dislike is the car dashboard! No. 1, no doubt. Although the 14 inches screen looks really nice, the dashboard is an out-of-date, old-fashioned dashboard, which brings me back to 10 years ago. Unfortunately, my car doesn't have HUD or a new-looking dashboard. I know that Lexus used to use this similar dashboard on previous NX, RX, etc, but with the hope of a new generation of NX, at least they should upgrade some of the features up-to-date. However, it doesn't. The ugliest part of this dashboard is the left side panel. The text looks small and tight. Even the font size looks different if you have a long word to show. The icon at the bottom is not well aligned. you can see one icon out of three are not in a line. The information provided is so poor, even compare to the 2018 accord. the speed limit sign is so tiny, you can't see it clearly. No way to reset the trip after refueling. even you manually reset it, you only got the reset mile, no average MPG for this trip. the GPS will show in the left side panel, however, every time I need to scroll down to see it because the default information is the compass. Why do people think the compass is more important than the GPS map? The worst is the music information shown. It can't show any characters rather than Latin. Unless you never listen to foreign songs. you will see □□□□□□□ only.
I guess some of my complaints can be solved by an upgrade of software, but at least I didn't see any so far. Those are small, compare to the whole car or on the consideration that you already have a 14 touch screen. But this dashboard.. my suggestion is if you can find a car with HUD, just go for it.
2. wireless charging. it indeed charges the phone. however, the charging speed is so slow, you can only count that it will help not to reduce your power on your phone, rather than power up. Also, I have my iPhone 12 pro max, which is big and should be bigger than 80% of all kinds of phones I would say. If you put your phone onto the charging panel and drive, it will not be stable and move back and forth. So sometimes you find actually the wireless is not working after a trip.
3. illumination? so dim, I almost forget to mention it.
4. The drive is so smooth, that's for sure, but every time I stopped completely and start, I always feel that my brake panel is stuck with the wheel? or bearing? or something else. I don't know if this is because of a new car, or sometimes common with NX. I need to bring it to the dealership to further check somehow.
5. the auto-heated seat and wheel are always too hot for me. Even I had modified it with all '-2' options. Maybe that is my own opinion.
6. The volume on the highway is too low. Yes I know I can make the config that will automatically change the volume with higher speed. But I can't feel it at all.
7. Auto-lock the car when I leave is not possible. I have such a feature on my old accord and I have used to it. That makes me sometimes forget to lock my car.
8. The video when reversing my car is very unclear, compare to my accord. Although you have a wide-range view, the picture deformed severely. And the rear camera gets easily dirty. I heard that there is a rear camera cleaning feature, but I can't find it, anyway can share?

That's all. I do have many LIKEs as well, but i believe everybody has already knows them well. Just share my experience and maybe I can also learn what you like or not here.
Old 02-18-22, 02:33 PM
bbr00ks
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Coincidentally enough I have the 350h for one month with the premium package. It is my wife's car. She came from a 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L.

I don't hate the dash but it does seems underwhelming. The accord dash had more real estate and was spacious. The 350h dash has lots of information crowed into tight windows. Also have the 14in screen and the two seem out of proportion to each other. The Accord had a passenger side camera for changing lanes - this Lexus only has the rear one. Friend just bought a Santa Fe Calligraphy and the dash is awesome - conventional circular Speed and RPM gauges with Cameras that appear in the middle of the appropriate gauge if you use the left or right turn signal - much superior gauges.
-No issues seen with my wife's IP13 charging.
-No issue seen with the brake pedal (?). Feeds different than the accord but hybrid brakes are all different.
-Yes - the steering wheel is definitely too hot. Also for me (not the wife) the seat is too hot.
-Autolock - noticed this and surprised it is not offered.
-No issues with my video or the view - bit different from the accord but just took some getting used too.
- Issues with the keys and programing them for your preferences (seats/mirrors) and them moving automatically - this just doesn't work reliably and based on other posts seems to be a bug. The Accord did this without a hitch for the last 7 years (not the mirrors though the Lexus doesn't move the mirrors either).

Overall given that it's 7 years news and alot more expensive I am feeling a bit underwhelmed compared to the Accord.
The following users liked this post:
HeavenSold (02-19-22)
Old 02-18-22, 02:48 PM
nx450hfspt
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Walk-away auto lock definitely would have been nice, and I hope that Lexus can do it via future OTA updates.

I like the dashboard and HUD, so I don't have any issues with them. Wireless charging with ip14pm seems to be fine. Foreign song titles also display OK as well, although I am playing through Apple Music. I am assuming that they don't have problems if your song titles are all in appropriate encoding such as utf8.

I wish Lexus app has a very clear and easy way to show me whether my car is locked or not. Right now I have to click on 'View Status' which gives too much details (although it's nice to know all the details). They can also show battery percentage info on the first screen instead of going into Advanced Setting, and even in Advanced Setting I have to click refresh to get the latest. They could have saved a few clicks for me.
HeavenSold (02-19-22)
Old 02-18-22, 02:53 PM
nx450hfspt
Driver

Originally Posted by Lunfengzhe
3. illumination? so dim, I almost forget to mention it.
Forgot to mention: for the 14 in screen you can adjust the screen brightness I think. Don't know about the dashboard, but its brightness looks ok to me.
Old 02-18-22, 03:43 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

No auto walk-away lock?! That’s crazy! I’m so used to it in my ‘18 CRV that I dunno how I’m going to transition to the Lexus!

jokes aside, that’s an odd feature to miss in a luxury car. I hope they add it in, but I won’t hold my breath.

The MID is quite dated. The CRV’s MID is good, not quite configurable, but not bad, but the NXs is quite dated, yes. It’s a poor use of space. Oddly enough, models with the HUD get a better MID. It removes the physical ring around the “charge/eco/power” gauge and allow for the full 7” display to be used. For all of Lexus’s quest for refinement, the MID is quite unrefined. The mix of physical gauges (temp/fuel), LED status indicators and LCD panel doesn’t really make the car stand out. Even the new Honda Civic Touring trim has a very beautiful and customizable MID, not to mention my friends Ford F-150.

it’s a shame really, Lexus could have used it to further showcase the LSS+ 3.0 with some nice and accessible menus.

parts shortage maybe? Not enough producers of quality MID-size displays? Kia/Hyundai buying all of them up? I guess we will never know.
Old 02-18-22, 06:11 PM
nx450hfspt
Driver

Another nice thing to have that's missing is auto open/close of garage door when we enter/leave garage.....
edstewbob (02-19-22)
Old 02-18-22, 07:48 PM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Can you 350h premium owners without the heads up display tell me if you see ave mpg as you drive and can reset ave mpg after refueling? I realize the MID dash is different from the nx with the heads up display MID dash. One poster lungfen said he cannot see the ave mpg and cannot reset the ave Mpg after fueling up. Can any one confirm this. Maybe it is just not knowing how to look for this?
I am suppose to get delivery of a 350h premium last week of March. I do see that the MID dash is not as good as the the ones with the head up display but was hoping all the functions of average mpg and ability to reset ave mpg after refueling is there. My 2018 Highlander has this ability and would be upset if the Lexus 350h does not have these basic functions

Last edited by Lexus22563; 02-18-22 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-18-22, 08:08 PM
Lexus22563
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Since many Owners who get the 350 hybrid like to see how they can drive economically, we want to see the info on the MID dash or 14 inch screen. Things like when battery is charging, average mpg and instant mpg bars or numbers whether coasting, slowing down, cruising, etc . does the 350h do a good job of showing these things?

Last edited by Lexus22563; 02-18-22 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-18-22, 08:09 PM
ttaylor121
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The issues I have so far are with profiles and memory setting. Both my wife and I have Lexus app capable cars. Naturally, I want to have both cars in the app. Can do that, but only one can actually control it remotely with the app? Seems poorly thought out..

I think I saw a setting to automatically lock the doors and you could even set the delay? You guys not have that setting or does it do something else?
Old 02-18-22, 10:34 PM
hnlflyer
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus22563
Since many Owners who get the 350 hybrid like to see how they can drive economically, we want to see the info on the MID dash or 14 inch screen. Things like when battery is charging, average mpg and instant mpg bars or numbers whether coasting, slowing down, cruising, etc . does the 350h do a good job of showing these things?
The center console screen will only show one item (i.e. hybrid system) at once, and the MID can be set to show trip MPG - you'll need to scroll to see tank MPG. It's an okay display, but you also have the speedo show regen and the EV icon to help you along.
Lexus22563 (02-19-22)
Old 02-19-22, 05:09 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nx450hfspt
Another nice thing to have that's missing is auto open/close of garage door when we enter/leave garage.....
Are you referring to Homelink?
Old 02-19-22, 05:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunfengzhe
4. The drive is so smooth, that's for sure, but every time I stopped completely and start, I always feel that my brake panel is stuck with the wheel? or bearing? or something else. I don't know if this is because of a new car, or sometimes common with NX. I need to bring it to the dealership to further check somehow.

Are you using the "brake hold" feature? If you are, that could be what you are feeling when you are completely stopped and, then, start moving again. When using the brake hold feature, it takes a second or so for the brake to disengage when you are ready to start moving again.

Last edited by lesz; 02-19-22 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-19-22, 07:15 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dibara2003
The center console screen will only show one item (i.e. hybrid system) at once, and the MID can be set to show trip MPG - you'll need to scroll to see tank MPG. It's an okay display, but you also have the speedo show regen and the EV icon to help you along.
is that on the models without the HUD? The MIDs are different (slightly) between models with and without the HUD.

The only view I’ve seen so far is people showing the (charge/eco/power) and speed in the middle, with the tabbed page of stats to the left.

I’d love to see another view posted of the different configurations in the NON-hud 350h Model.
Old 02-19-22, 07:34 AM
Lunfengzhe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbr00ks
Coincidentally enough I have the 350h for one month with the premium package. It is my wife's car. She came from a 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L.

I don't hate the dash but it does seems underwhelming. The accord dash had more real estate and was spacious. The 350h dash has lots of information crowed into tight windows. Also have the 14in screen and the two seem out of proportion to each other. The Accord had a passenger side camera for changing lanes - this Lexus only has the rear one. Friend just bought a Santa Fe Calligraphy and the dash is awesome - conventional circular Speed and RPM gauges with Cameras that appear in the middle of the appropriate gauge if you use the left or right turn signal - much superior gauges.
-No issues seen with my wife's IP13 charging.
-No issue seen with the brake pedal (?). Feeds different than the accord but hybrid brakes are all different.
-Yes - the steering wheel is definitely too hot. Also for me (not the wife) the seat is too hot.
-Autolock - noticed this and surprised it is not offered.
-No issues with my video or the view - bit different from the accord but just took some getting used too.
- Issues with the keys and programing them for your preferences (seats/mirrors) and them moving automatically - this just doesn't work reliably and based on other posts seems to be a bug. The Accord did this without a hitch for the last 7 years (not the mirrors though the Lexus doesn't move the mirrors either).

Overall given that it's 7 years news and alot more expensive I am feeling a bit underwhelmed compared to the Accord.
Hi bbr00ks, nice to share idea with you since you have the same experience with me. I would say maybe if you drive more on NX rather than your wife, probably you will feel that MID more. Anyway, I try to tell myself that is ok because I have already purchased it. After all most of the functions are in the navigation screen rather than MID. But I hope Lexus can do much better. 2018 accord EX-L is 20,000 cheaper than the Lexus NX 2022 350H (not now, not the crazy year) but it have a lot of features 5 years ago, which is identical or even better. So hopefully Lexus can realize it and fix some of them. At least the information/displace on my dashboard can be upgraded through software I believe.
The charging i mentioned is, when i drive, becuase the wireless panel is bigger than the phone, so the phone can not be fixed in a place, it will move and the LED indicator light just flashing in orange, which means it has a problem charging the phone.
It's not a issue with braking padel itself, but something in the back of car, i can hear it clearly. I will anyway bring it to dealership and have it checked.
Old 02-19-22, 07:37 AM
Lunfengzhe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nx450hfspt
Walk-away auto lock definitely would have been nice, and I hope that Lexus can do it via future OTA updates.

I like the dashboard and HUD, so I don't have any issues with them. Wireless charging with ip14pm seems to be fine. Foreign song titles also display OK as well, although I am playing through Apple Music. I am assuming that they don't have problems if your song titles are all in appropriate encoding such as utf8.

I wish Lexus app has a very clear and easy way to show me whether my car is locked or not. Right now I have to click on 'View Status' which gives too much details (although it's nice to know all the details). They can also show battery percentage info on the first screen instead of going into Advanced Setting, and even in Advanced Setting I have to click refresh to get the latest. They could have saved a few clicks for me.
The music name is quite annoying. But since you said you are fine using Apple? So is that ok for you to display some Japanese, Korean or Chinese character correctly? I am using Spotify but Apple music. If you said your is ok, i believe Lexus will fix that later soon.
I would say HUD and dashboard is much better, it just like not everyone can have chance to get that in this period. So I am thinking if that is possible to have it upgraded maybe couple months after, after the chip shortage. Not sure if dealership can do that?

Quick Reply: Several "DISLIKES" so far on my 350h premium package