Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX450h Gas Engine at startup time

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-22, 02:57 PM
tdeneau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450h Gas Engine at startup time

Have had an rx450h since 2010 and very happy with it. But noticed that the gas engine always starts shortly after pushing the start button, i.e. while we are still in the garage. Starting in EV mode does not help, I've heard because the system is not "warmed up"? Is there any way to have the gas engine not start in the garage?

On a related note, when the gas engine does start up, it seems to have fewer emission-like odors compared to a non-hybrid gas engine startup? Is there a reason for this or is our rx450h just good at capturing emissions?
Old 02-28-22, 02:59 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

No there isn’t. It’s automatically controlled.
Old 02-28-22, 03:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Hybrid engine running the Atkinson cycle (your car) is inherently more efficient and cleaner. But it sacrifices low end torque which is augmented by the hybrid battery.
Old 03-03-22, 02:22 PM
tdeneau
Driver School Candidate

Do pretty much all hybrid vehicles use this Atkinson cycle in their gas engine?
Asking because I've never heard it advertised as another advantage of hybrid vehicles.
Old 12-06-22, 12:53 PM
carsilike
Driver School Candidate

How long does the 450H hybrid system need to be "ready" or "available" after a cold start?
Old 12-07-22, 07:40 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

There are myths about 'cold' engine that suggest wait after start.

With modern engine fuel management, lubrication, emission etc the warm up time is ... Do not stress till engine temperature gauge shows Normal operating conditions. To get to the Normal operating conditions, drive the vehicle without stressing it. Engine temperature gauge is only one part of the machine .. there is transmission, steering, suspension, tires etc which need to be gradually warmed up with non-stress driving.

Side note: You can be in Ready without ICE starting up. Reverse [my first movement out of garage] is strictly under electric motor. ICE kicks in based on High voltage battery condition and comfort settings.

Salim
Old 12-07-22, 10:08 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by carsilike
How long does the 450H hybrid system need to be "ready" or "available" after a cold start?
It's available as soon as it says ready. How long it will power the car before the ICE kicks in will depend on the amount of charge in the hybrid battery.
Old 12-08-22, 01:53 PM
carsilike
Driver School Candidate

Should the engine kick on even when I am just turning the Radio on? I noticed this happened yesterday... It idled for maybe 10-20 seconds and shut off and then did not come back on. I was cleaning inside and decided to have some music on
Old 12-08-22, 07:00 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by carsilike
Should the engine kick on even when I am just turning the Radio on? I noticed this happened yesterday... It idled for maybe 10-20 seconds and shut off and then did not come back on. I was cleaning inside and decided to have some music on
It may seem totally random, but the computer is making the choice for you based on many inputs from sensors and programming.
Incidentally, once I left the gear in "N" after a bit warning came up that I need to move it out of "N" to allow the ICE to charge up the traction battery. The thing is smart.

Salim
Old 12-08-22, 07:06 PM
ThreeCW
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only time that I have been able to back our 2014 RX450H out of the garage without the engine starting is when the hybrid battery is at a full charge.

But typically our hybrid battery is at about 80% as we have a 0.8 km long gravel driveway, up a hill that we travel at 20 to 30 km per hour. The hybrid battery is typically near full charge at the start of our driveway, the RX450H travels the driveway mainly under the battery power and by the time we park in the garage, the hybrid battery is partially discharged and we shut off the car. A partially discharged hybrid battery may be the reason your gas engine kicks in as well.
Old 12-17-22, 04:30 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep in mind that a Hybrid car needs a hot engine to get high mileage, so the computer wants to heat up the ICE asap. And there is no supplemental heat so if it's cold outside the computer knows it needs to heat up the ICE in order to provide heat (via the engine cooling system) for the occupants.

I've always thought that it would make sense for Toyota to design some sort of "blanket" that would enclose the ICE and slow down the heat loss when turned off. I do know that if I do a bunch of short city trips in the winter my mileage will be in the 18mpg range, just like a conventional car, because the hybrid engine never gets to warm up enough for the computer to have it shut down when not needed.