Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Starting issues with 2011 RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-22, 04:50 PM
whodiini
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting issues with 2011 RX450h

This just started happening in the last 2 months. When I start the car by pressing the start button with my foot on the brake, the electronics turn on, but the seats, steering wheel do not get into position and the car doesnt start up (power steering doesnt engage). In order for the car to start, I found I need to press and hold the start button for around 5-10 sec. Only after about 5 sec, does the seats move and the power steering engages. This seems to happen all the time in the mornings. I replaced the battery last year, so I would think it isnt the battery. Even after driving for over an hour (which usually means the battery should be charged) it still does it the next morning. Any ideas what is happening. One other note is that when pressing the start button for 5 sec, a brieif message of the hybrid system overheating pops up briefly but immediately goes away when the car starts.
Old 03-15-22, 12:41 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

Get the 12V battery measured/tested and checked for a parasitic drain after you turn the car off. Something could be draining your battery overnight not giving it enough juice to properly start the car.
The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (03-25-22)
Old 03-15-22, 07:35 PM
whodiini
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hayk
Get the 12V battery measured/tested and checked for a parasitic drain after you turn the car off. Something could be draining your battery overnight not giving it enough juice to properly start the car.
Makes sense. To test whether it was a battery issue, I trickle charged the battery overnight. Then I attached a monitor to the OBD port. The voltage was 13V, and after disconnecting the trickle charger, I started up the car. Car started normally. When running, the voltage was reported to be 13.6V. After driving, I parked it overnight. Before starting the next morning, the monitor reported it was 12. 1V. It started up normally. After starting it reported 13.6V. I will do that a while and see how low the battery voltage reports after overnight. So at least I know that a low battery can cause the observed condition. Now just need to find out why the battery is low. Once the car starts, its fine.
Hayk (03-19-22)
Old 03-16-22, 08:26 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

The 12v battery is not under heavy load as non-hybrid. Typically the original battery can last 8 years our so. You don't need 100of amps to turn the starter.
Few things that can help a weak/old 12v battery is to turn off the headlights-drivinglights [remove from auto]. Don't sit for long with the brake pedal pushed. Do it moments before you hit the start.

Salim
Old 03-17-22, 06:33 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 202 Posts

11 yo hybrid? 12V is likely on its last lag. FYI, Toyota considers 11.7 threshold voltage for those batteries. Yours is getting there. I'd just replace 12V, not to get stranded somewhere.
Also, keep in mind that 12V is charged, via invertor, off hybrid battery only when vehicle is in motion. So if you mopstly sit in garage or do short trips, 12V is being undercharged.
Old 03-17-22, 06:39 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 576 Likes on 406 Posts

If your battery is only a year old, it may simply be defective? You didn't mention what kind of battery you replaced it with, OEM, other brand AGM or non-AGM alternative? In the past I have used the nav screen diagnostics menu, it reports voltage somewhere in the 11 range in accessory mode with goodies powered up, but then goes to 14.4V in ready mode. I have heard that cars designed for AGM batteries push charge voltage a bit higher, and some non-AGM batteries might run short life because of it. Don't know how much truth to that, but there it is. After almost 13 years the OEM Panasonic battery is still working fine for me, but its not subjected to battery killing heat of the south US. I'm shooting for 15 years!
Old 03-17-22, 07:37 PM
whodiini
Driver School Candidate

Yes, something is not right, I recently added an iphone magnetic holder and charger. I am wondering if that is causing battery drain. Will disconnect and see how the battery holds up. Since it is a 6 mo new battery, I suspect it isnt the battery.
Old 03-17-22, 09:26 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by whodiini
Yes, something is not right, I recently added an iphone magnetic holder and charger. I am wondering if that is causing battery drain. Will disconnect and see how the battery holds up. Since it is a 6 mo new battery, I suspect it isnt the battery.
I hope you have the phone charger on accessory line [switched on/off with ignition. Having it directly on +12v can lead into situation you described.

Salim
Old 03-19-22, 10:12 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by whodiini
Good thinking, usually 3rd party accessories are the culprit of parasitic battery losses.

You should still get the battery tested. You sound like a DIY type of person and having a trickle charger and an OBD2 tester is a really good start. I recommend picking up a battery tester called the TOPDON AB101 from Amazon. it’s very simple to use and gives out a health report of a battery in addition to its State of Charge. Currently being sold for $40.

Don’t rule out a defective new battery. I recently put a Costco/Interstate Lead Acid battery in my ES350 and after having the car at a repair shop for almost a month I noticed the battery was very weak on cold winter days. Ran it through the tester and it failed! The battery was exactly 2 months old. I upgraded to the AGM version and haven’t seen any issues since.

Failed 2 month old battery
Old 03-22-22, 08:20 PM
whodiini
Driver School Candidate

Turns out the battery is 2 1/2 years old, not 6 months. Took it back where I bought the battery, and they replaced it for free, since it had a 4 year warranty. The original battery lasted 8 years (panasonic), the Bosch only 2 1/2. But the Bosch was a lot cheaper than OEM replacement. They put a Champion AGM there. It barely fits in the compartment. Had to cut the plastic handle off, since they left it on and the cover doesnt sit flush. After cutting the temporary battery handle, the cover just (barely) sits flush and rests on top of the battery. Thanks all, problem I think solved. I will see if the battery maintains a charge now or drains. If it drains, then something else is amiss.
RadiantX45 (03-25-22)
Old 03-25-22, 10:46 AM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad it was solved for $0.00! My 2011 RX450h had starting issues as well just before December. Come to find out it was still using the OG 12v battery. Got more than 10 years out of that bad boy. Pretty cool.
Old 03-26-22, 08:55 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by PDITTEL
Glad it was solved for $0.00! My 2011 RX450h had starting issues as well just before December. Come to find out it was still using the OG 12v battery. Got more than 10 years out of that bad boy. Pretty cool.
I did that yesterday, but it was not solved for $0.00b but it was for $$$. Not bad when you amortize it over 10+ yrs.
Ended up buying OEM Panasonic battery from local Toyota dealer internet sale portal. Saved some $$

Only thing that was lost was rear hatch needs to be reprogrammed. [time for search] Update: After acting up for the afternoon, it finally sorted it self out.
If you do it yourself maybe it should be done with the hatch closed [not sure], but that would require you to sit inside the hatch to replace the battery.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-26-22 at 07:31 PM.