Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

NX350h vs 2010 RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 07:26 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default NX350h vs 2010 RX450h

Long shot here. Have a 350h arrived in US mid March and should take delivery within next 10 days. Had a 2010 RX450h which we loved …..ride, comfort etc.
Wasn’t able to drive a 2022 NX350h and Very curious if anyone who has or who owns one may have had a 2010 or there about RX 450h.
Ride comfort, quietness and quality high on my list.
Thank you.
Old 03-23-22, 08:16 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by raviola4
Long shot here. Have a 350h arrived in US mid March and should take delivery within next 10 days. Had a 2010 RX450h which we loved …..ride, comfort etc.
Wasn’t able to drive a 2022 NX350h and Very curious if anyone who has or who owns one may have had a 2010 or there about RX 450h.
Ride comfort, quietness and quality high on my list.
Thank you.
I haven't driven the 350h, but driven the 350 and 450h+ and have RX450h+. I would say the car is smaller and has the wrap around feeling more than the RX450h. Power-wise I cannot say as I haven't driven the 350h, but would assume it's a tad slower than the RX. It's also a smaller vehicle. Quietness I would say very similar. Ride comfort - somehow I feel the new NX is more solid and have been control in body and comfort. Quality - everything is well put together.

How come you haven't test driven one?
Old 03-23-22, 08:42 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Thanks. Only 2 of us so all we’ll need hopefully for several years.
Old 03-23-22, 10:05 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I owned a 2013 RX 350, and then went to a 2016 NX 300h. A year ago we traded the NX in for a 2021 RX 450h. So I cannot directly answer your question, but I will say there was a reason we went back to an RX so I would offer a few things to watch as you take a test drive. We liked our NX very much so don’t take this the wrong way, but we were at a very similar decision point last year. We pondered getting an RX versus waiting for the next generation NX.

We were disappointed with the power of the NX hybrid on steep mountain roads, but it had plenty of power around town on relatively level roads. This wasn’t a huge issue for us as we don’t often drive into the surrounding mountains, but when replacing it we were definitely hoping for more power. We were also disappointed with the level of road noise. We were of course comparing it to the previous RX and the current ES and it was just louder at highway speeds. Finally, the ride was a bit more bouncy or jostling than either the previous RX or the ES. We ended up selecting the RX which is really more closely matched to our ES in terms of ride composure. None of these were major issues by themselves, but when the time came to replace it we just wanted to improve on those minor niggles.

So those three issues were the things I would have wanted to evaluate on a new NX. This they improve the ride, make it any quieter and in in terms of the hybrid drivetrain, give it more power. I hope my observations are helpful even though they aren’t the exact comparison you are asking for.
Old 03-23-22, 10:39 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Exclamation generation 2 NX much much better except for cats

I didn't give generation 1 NX any consideration at all: too low mpg and too little power on the hybrid. Generation 2 NX 350h much better power and much better mpg. Lexus got generation 2 right except for the cats*.

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - One other point of fact, the performance of the 2022 NX 350h is slightly better than the 2022 RX 450h

Note: Cats: Different Lexus sub-groups (cats) worked on different solutions: memory seats, profiles, smart key, phone apps iAndroid interface, iPhone interface. Lexus forgot that they needed a Cat Herder. Everyone knows how hard herding cats can be. It is a somewhat low priority because the problem/s do not affect safety ( unless you use your phone's apple play interfaces as an office while driving, which is an oxymoron of safety), performance, reliability, or mpg so Lexus considers the problem minor and is also having trouble finding a good Cat Herder that can provide a solution that makes all the cats happy. So it may be a while before a true software/firmware solution/s are released, maybe not even with the 2023 NX model.

We were disappointed with the power of the NX hybrid on steep mountain roads, but it had plenty of power around town on relatively level roads. This wasn’t a huge issue for us as we don’t often drive into the surrounding mountains, but when replacing it we were definitely hoping for more power. We were also disappointed with the level of road noise. We were of course comparing it to the previous RX and the current ES and it was just louder at highway speeds. Finally, the ride was a bit more bouncy or jostling than either the previous RX or the ES. We ended up selecting the RX which is really more closely matched to our ES in terms of ride composure. None of these were major issues by themselves, but when the time came to replace it we just wanted to improve on those minor niggles.

So those three issues were the things I would have wanted to evaluate on a new NX. This they improve the ride, make it any quieter and in in terms of the hybrid drivetrain, give it more power. I hope my observations are helpful even though they aren’t the exact comparison you are asking for.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-23-22, 04:23 PM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Thanks for feedback. Seeing positive info on the new NX350h, but not a lot on ride comfort, quietness etc. Have seen some stuff on line.
Being in our mid 70’s more interested in those qualities plus mpg. Etc.
Old 03-23-22, 07:50 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

The 2010 RX450h will have faster acceleration (tested to be 6.9s) and an engine that sounds much better under acceleration.