Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

07 GS450h loss of power, engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 07:32 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 07 GS450h loss of power, engine won't start

Was driving the car and accelerated from about 30-55 to pass when the engine lost power. coasted to the shoulder and powered the car on and off. The car would power up and the hybrid lights are 3/4 full but the engine wouldn't start. Shifted to P and floored the gas pedal and no revs. Only code my basic reader can pull is P1420 evaporate canister. Which has been on for a while.

The car has a new hybrid battery which was replaced by a company called Greentech. Towed to them and they couldn't figure out the problem. They seem to be more battery replacement than full mechanic. The 12v battery is less than a year old.
Looking to get comments If anyone has experienced this before paying Lexus diagnostic fees.
Old 04-05-22, 10:18 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

anyone have similar problems or symptoms?
Old 04-05-22, 10:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Get the 12 volt battery load tested most auto parts stores do it. What do you mean when you say the engine wouldn't start? Flooring a hybrid when in park doesn't do anything even if the engine happens to be running. What is the actual status of the car why won't it drive?
Old 04-05-22, 02:21 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply

12 volt battery load tested - 12v is good.
"What do you mean the engine wouldn't start? Flooring a hybrid when in park doesn't do anything"
shift to N and rev by pushing the gas multiple times. No response from engine. All lights come on but I don't get a ready light. HBatt is @ 75%. when car is in drive, it free rolls like it's in neutral.

What is the actual status of the car why won't it drive?
This is what's I'm trying to get a better understanding of. Was hoping someone had a similar problem and could say "before taking to a dealer look here".

Thinking some kind of module on the tranny has gone bad or come loose seeing as how if lost power after a hard acceleration.
Old 04-06-22, 05:23 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Blown inverter.
The following users liked this post:
Xenith (04-28-23)
Old 06-11-22, 08:25 AM
R_Rated
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by L8Apex
Was driving the car and accelerated from about 30-55 to pass when the engine lost power. coasted to the shoulder and powered the car on and off. The car would power up and the hybrid lights are 3/4 full but the engine wouldn't start. Shifted to P and floored the gas pedal and no revs. Only code my basic reader can pull is P1420 evaporate canister. Which has been on for a while.

The car has a new hybrid battery which was replaced by a company called Greentech. Towed to them and they couldn't figure out the problem. They seem to be more battery replacement than full mechanic. The 12v battery is less than a year old.
Looking to get comments If anyone has experienced this before paying Lexus diagnostic fees.

Something similar happened to me recently. I replaced my 12v battery and cleaned the car's battery terminals well with a steel brush and haven't had an issue since.
Old 07-17-22, 05:30 AM
Xenith
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Blown inverter.
yep blowen inverter for sure have fixed a few now . These cars are getting old and the heat paste for the cooling of the IGBT's has long since failed . There is a thread that i made in replacing the heat past ( have sergested it become a sticky as i would not drive one with out doing the paste first). Now get a second hand one (if u can't find a GS450h one u can repair urs with parts from some of the camry inverters but it will have less IGBT's they still drive fine mine has been using a repaired one for years now) if after replacement u still can't get a ready light then replace the HYBRID ECU as well (sometimes it gets a power spike when the INVERTER blows) u have to resink the two afterwards.
Old 12-08-22, 04:57 AM
Fadeismade
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What’s the cost to replace the engine and battery?