Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Lexus GS450H TRIMS PROBLEM PLEASE HELP! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 03:58 AM
iaposhka
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GS450H TRIMS PROBLEM PLEASE HELP! PLEASE

Lexus GS450H F-sport 2012 GEN IV (European GWL10L-BEXQBW) Mileage 280,000 KM

after purchasing this car about 2 years ago I noticed that when going to EV mode, when car is started for a while and temperature of coolant is about 70-80 degrees car is shaking when shutting down, this shaking is accompanied with clicking noise coming from engine - gearbox link. I started to explore this problem and serviced main components:

-Changed spark plugs (put new Denso Original ones)
-Changed oil with filters
-Changed MAF sensor
-Cleaned Fuel injectors for direct injection
-CHANGED fuel injectors for port injection (put used ones from 10,000 mile car)
-Changed oil in Gearbox in official Lexus workshop
-Changed filter for fuel pump (I mean only filter not pump) (on the left side) ->
right side filter remains old
-Cleaned Throttle body
- Changed so called Separator case
12216-31030
-Changed both oxygen sensors (B1S1 B2S1 with OEM new ones) I changed only front Ones S1-ones
-Checked air leaks (what could be checked) with Smoke, to be sure replaced Vacuum hoses (no leaks on shut down car)

after doing all this service, after about 15-20 days I hooked up TIS and started to monitor parameters (to be precise after I couldn`t manage to solve it)

So the situation with trims is follows:

Active Test - Change injection way
Car is warmed up to 92 degrees and remains on idle:

DIRECT INJECTION
Short Trim B1S1 -1.5
Long Trim B1S1 -14.2
Short Trim B2S1 -2.4
Long Trim B2S2 -10.1

PORT INJECTION
Short Trim B1S1 -1.2
Long Trim B1S1 -2.5
Short Trim B2S1 -0.5
Long Trim B2S2 -3.1

To be sure because I felt Petrol smell in oil I went to workshop and changed oil again (I managed to travel about 400km on this oil), Came back home - hooked up TIS again and VOILA

DIRECT INJECTION
Short Trim B1S1 -0.5
Long Trim B1S1 -3.1
Short Trim B2S1 -2.2
Long Trim B2S2 -1.5

PORT INJECTION
Short Trim B1S1 +1.2
Long Trim B1S1 +5.2
Short Trim B2S1 +0.5
Long Trim B2S2 +6.3

ON PORT INJECTION WHEN OIL IS FRESH I HAVE LEAN CONDITION BUT DIRECT INECTION REMAINS ON RICH SIDE (SLIGHTLY THOUGH)
AFTER OIL IS CONTAMINATED BOTH DIRECT AND PORT INECTION GOES TO SUPER RICH SIDE

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What I noticed: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) when pushing hard (about 5000-6000 RPM on the road), there are sitation about 50% of cases REVS go down slowly, it need 5-6 Sec to come back to normal 1050 rpm, I mean it realy goes back slowly.

2) when going to Direct injection, despite the fact that TRIMS remain stable I have fluctuation in Fuel Pressure from 2100 -2600 constantly, I mean constantly changing and I can feel with vibration and changing sound of engine that it changed the rhythm cylinders work)
when going to PORT injection, Pressure is more or less stable about 410-450, but in 99% cases it holds 450 PSI
One of the biggest finding I observe is that when the fuel inside tank is declining, drops below 50KM car starts to rich TRIMS on Both heads, there have been errors with rich trims even (passed -20 side), After refueling it with fresh Petrol trims go back to adequate rich side ( about minus 10,12)

3) So oil Change and full Fuel tank somehow deteriorates problems.

there are few misfires but there is no logic (mainly CYL1,CYL2,CYL5) but there are misfires with other cylinders also.

with the list of Parts I already changed you could guess that I already spent tones of money but couldnt find the problem Im now in the condition that the car I had on my wallpaper and dreamt of is about to kill me

LAST UPDATE

I ordered and waiting for OEM USED Fuel pump W/Filter +right side filter (don`t know what its called - but in European models it looks different, Fuel return pipe + activated Charcoal Cannister is connected to this right side filter, when USA models dont have this Tubes at all)

TSE file for active test Direct / port - on idle and 2500 revs on both inejction ways. please have a look maybe someone has some ideas
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/f62251e8c319177b2b3a5281e8b849ff20221112185202/364ae848b141135ac98547cb0ec280ae20221112185230/017e4b?trk=TRN_TDL_01&utm_campaign=TRN_TDL_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendgrid

Last edited by iaposhka; 11-12-22 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-14-22, 04:24 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

You’re looking at the wrong areas. The Long Term fuel trim is within spec although not ideal but is not the cause of your problem.

There is no point randomly trying things out in hope that you hit the jackpot. The 2012 does not have a recall for the fuel pump.

what do you mean shaking when shutting down? You mean when you turn the engine off?

if your oil is contaminated so quickly it’s likely your cylinder walls are scorched and letting oil in to be combusted with fuel.

Last edited by 703; 04-14-22 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-14-22, 05:21 AM
iaposhka
Rookie

first of all thank you for reply

secondly i`m far from trying things randomly, I have moderate knowledge as you can see. Rich conditions as well as lean can cause contamination of oil.

my concern isn`t shaking car when shutting down, my concern is rich mix flying to lean one. difference between direct and port injection methods. scratched wall is also one of my ideas but not only one and definitely Fatal for my car. I wont be able to find replacement for my EUROPEAN engine in my country.. so it will go under press if its engine.

Old 04-22-22, 04:02 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Why not take it to a professional or a dealer to diagnose/fix? Otherwise your going down a rabbit hole and spending a lot of money without fixing the problem. Are you related to Bladest?
The following 3 users liked this post by peasodos:
bclexus (04-22-22), Im2bz2p345 (11-10-22), Neil64 (11-11-22)
Old 04-23-22, 01:28 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by iaposhka
scratched wall is also one of my ideas but not only one and definitely Fatal for my car. I wont be able to find replacement for my EUROPEAN engine in my country.. so it will go under press if its engine.
The 450h Hybrid ECU is very sophisticated. When it can’t compensate for something, it’s normally defective mechanical part or worn out part.

The engine is not known to have issues, so I would guess it’s worn out cylinder wall due to neglect by previous owners.

Do you have a borescope ? Take off one of the spark plug closest to the front and see the condition. It should look very clean, if not, then you can attribute towards neglect.
Old 09-02-22, 08:49 AM
iaposhka
Rookie

Default Fuel trims super rich when hard braking or in incline

Good day,

Lexus GS450H 2013 (European edition w/o Vapor cannister)

I m struggling with rich fuel trims for 8 months now.. tryied everything that was recommerecommended but still cant find the cause. but yesterday I managed to immitate the symptoms and find the the situation when thrse sympthoms occur:
so the states are:

-Car in Maintenance Mode
-Fully warmed up, accessories off, Hybrid battery charged-Acrive test mode in techstream : Change injection way
in PORT injection mode Short trim +3 / long trim / -1 (more or less the same on both banks
in DIRECT inectjion mode Short trim -1.5 / long trim 1.5 (sum close to zero on both banks)

I switched to direct injection and deapite 150000 tests tryied to move my car.. just 2-3 M ahaid and hard brake (5k/h to hard zero) and VOILA trims start to rise trasticaly short trim -12 / long trim 1.5 ... and just about 5-10 sec trims came.back to normal.

I repeated this test 2-3 time and the magic is that sometimes car comes back to normal trims but sometimes not.. after turning my head on I then shifted to R and made the same.. hard braking in reverse and this also helps to retrive trims back to normal.

BUT the main sympthom is that, when recording this process, when hard braking becides fuel flying to rich side.. it kicks me out of active test, sometimes on its own switched car to PORT injection.

before directing me to vacuum leak as a sympthom of braking + fuel trims .. please notice that our cars doesnt have vacuum booster, its electronic and have nothing to do with Vacuum system.

please help me

Old 11-10-22, 12:32 AM
iaposhka
Rookie

Still struggling with this problem ... any ideas guys ?

Old 11-10-22, 07:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Still struggling with this problem ... any ideas guys ?
@iaposhka - Yeah, I've got an idea for you. I presume you are in Germany and not the U.S. state, Delaware. Why not take it to your local Lexus dealership's service center and have them figure out what the problem is and fix it for you? Germany does have Lexus dealers, right?

Is there a logical reason why you have elected to struggle with this problem for six months and waste your time and effort but refuse to have trained experts take a look and figure out what the problem is and fix it for you?

Last edited by bclexus; 11-10-22 at 07:40 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-10-22, 07:26 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yeah, I've got an idea for you. I presume you are in Germany and not the U.S. state, Delaware. Why not take it to your local Lexus dealership's service center and have them figure out what the problem is and fix it for you? Germany does have Lexus dealers, right?

Is there a logical reason why you have elected to struggle with this problem for six months and waste your time and effort but refuse to have trained experts taker a look and figure out what the problem is and fix it for you?
Pride, ego, going down a rabbit hole yourself and not coming out, I know the feeling. We are not Gods that can diagnose OP's car from behind a computer screen, take it to a dealership or a professional to diagnose. OP has clearly spent way too much money replacing perfectly working parts without fixing the problem.
Old 11-10-22, 08:03 AM
iaposhka
Rookie

Default ...

@iaposhka - Yeah, I've got an idea for you. I presume you are in Germany and not the U.S. state, Delaware. Why not take it to your local Lexus dealership's service center and have them figure out what the problem is and fix it for you? Germany does have Lexus dealers, right?

Is there a logical reason why you have elected to struggle with this problem for six months and waste your time and effort but refuse to have trained experts take a look and figure out what the problem is and fix it for you?
starting from the fact that Im not in US neither in Germany.. what point it makes I even dont know...

my car was imported from Germany ..

can you imagine the cost of labor of what I stated above in official dealer ? my cars price is probably 2-3 times less than this labor. plus I took my car to official dealer and they said that they dont have any ideas what it could be.. one idea was preasufe sensor regulator in pump housing (changed myself) and preasure sesnor on fuel rail (also changed) no luck.

Im going into this god damn rabbit hole because I want to save my car and dont throw it from cliff one day.. because none.. Imean none can say what is wrong with it.. neither official workshop or unofficial..

so please your - not very helpfull comments for yourself.
Old 11-10-22, 08:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

starting from the fact that Im not in US neither in Germany.. what point it makes I even dont know...

can you imagine the cost of labor of what I stated above in official dealer ? my cars price is probably 2-3 times less than this labor. plus I took my car to official dealer and they said that they dont have any ideas what it could be.. one idea was preasufe sensor regulator in pump housing (changed myself) and preasure sesnor on fuel rail (also changed) no luck.

Im going into this god damn rabbit hole because I want to save my car and dont throw it from cliff one day.. because none.. Imean none can say what is wrong with it.. neither official workshop or unofficial..

Wishing you the very best of luck as you dig around in the rabbit hole!

Old 11-10-22, 09:57 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

We imagine it wouldn't have cost anywhere near as much money as you're going to have to spend now....because you replaced parts that had nothing to do with the problem with your car. So now you have wasted money on a bunch of replaced parts, and still have the same problem with the car... And now it sounds like, you basically won't take it to a dealer and pay their dealer fees for repair, because of the money you've already dumped into it trying to fix it yourself.

Also, you probably should've mentioned in your original post that the Dealer couldn't figure it out (according to you).

Rabbit holes are costly, timely, and mentally draining.... If said Dealer can't figure it out as you claimed (that is entirely possible) then I'd do some more research and take it to a better Dealer because at this point, clearly, you're not yielding any results from continuing down this rabbit hole.

Last edited by PrimeDave; 11-13-22 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-10-22, 06:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You really appear to be very upset - suggesting that your car may have to be pressed flat at a metal scrap yard or thrown off a cliff.

I'm really having a difficult time trying to figure out who exactly you are upset with. Are you upset at Lexus, or the previous owner of your car, or the 'official dealer workshop' in your own country - or are you upset with us here on the Club Lexus 4GS Hybrid forum?

Again, wishing you the very best of luck as you continue to dig around in the rabbit hole! But feel free to inquire further for help if needed...you never know what knowledge someone may have and decide to come forward with that is spot-on to fix your problem and save your car from the demise of going to the 'press' or being thrown off a cliff!

Please let us know what the problem was when you find out so we might can help someone else. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bclexus; 11-12-22 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-10-22, 08:56 PM
iaposhka
Rookie

Default thanks

You really appear to be very upset - suggesting that your car may have to be pressed flat at a metal scrap yard or thrown off a cliff.

I'm really having a difficult time trying to figure out who exactly you are upset with. Are you upset at Lexus, or the previous owner of your car, or the 'official dealer workshop' in your own country - or are you upset with us here on the Club Lexus 4GS Hybrid forum?

I'm quite agitated and flustered too that no one here on Club Lexus has been able to help you with your problem. However, you have one thing going for you in your favor - it hasn't cost you anything by asking us for help. There's been no diagnosis charge to add to the mounting expenses you've already amassed. There's one likely positive outcome you have to look forward to - if you do have your car 'pressed' you should be able to salvage a few bucks for the value of the scrap metal.

Again, wishing you the very best of luck as you continue to dig around in the rabbit hole! But feel free to inquire further for help if needed...you never know what knowledge someone may be holding back and decide to come forward with that is spot-on to fix your problem and save your car from the demise of going to the 'press' or being thrown off a cliff!

Please let us know what the problem was when you find out so we might can help someone else. Thanks in advance!
​​​​​​Im really desperate because Im really out of workshops here.. the problem is that when I come to new workshop the story starts from beginning .. and its the same story over and over again.. im ready to give huge ammount of money to guy who just tells me what is wrong with car.. but no luck.. when they see GsIV authroized guys say that this king of diagnosis will be super expensive and unauthorized ones just wany to kill theirselfes not to touch it too much interdependent systems.. too much to look for..

one thing forum could help is just a log of normal operating car.. but still no luck.. none helps.. thats whh im upset.. instead of it criticism.. like I saved money to fix it..
Old 11-11-22, 06:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

​​​​​​Im really desperate because Im really out of workshops here.. the problem is that when I come to new workshop the story starts from beginning .. and its the same story over and over again.. im ready to give huge ammount of money to guy who just tells me what is wrong with car.. but no luck.. when they see GsIV authroized guys say that this king of diagnosis will be super expensive and unauthorized ones just wany to kill theirselfes not to touch it too much interdependent systems.. too much to look for..

one thing forum could help is just a log of normal operating car.. but still no luck.. none helps.. thats whh im upset.. instead of it criticism.. like I saved money to fix it..
@iaposhka - Where is 'here'? Where are you located? Knowing your home country location may be helpful for us to help you.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS450H TRIMS PROBLEM PLEASE HELP! PLEASE