Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

What made you get the 300h

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 10:53 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020300h
I bought a Lexus 300H in March 2021.
Experience:
1. Drive is smooth and nice.
2.It looks big and well built
3. Looks great
4. Reliability of a Toyota.

Bad:
1. Saw the MPG as stated in the first 15k miles only. Now I see any where from 31 to 38 MPG and no more.
2. Engine noise is load for a luxury car, specially when starting.
3. Sound system sucks. Worse then a construction truck. Base model has 8 speakers but you only hear from the front two. when reporting it to the dealer got brushed off by saying that is how it is designed. Audio sucks and the corporate does not help any in this issue.
4. Bad after sales service.
5. The Nuluxe fake leather seats are not comfortable and too hard for long drives.
You would be better off buying any other Luxury brand for the money as the service sucks and drive satisfaction is not there.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

1. I wonder why your MPG dropped so significantly, anything change (e.g., commute, weather (I notice you're in TN, which I'm not familiar with at all), keep tires inflated properly?) I'm surprised as I've only heard of the hybrid system losing MPG in colder temperatures, but even then I'd be pretty happy with high 30s, though disappointed it isn't the EPA average.
2. Sounds system - yeah this is important to me and I am VERY disappointed the ML package wasn't available for the 300h, at least at my time of order. I did see the option available on pre-production unit reviews, but on all the production 300h reviews, there was no ML option. So I'm guessing it was omitted last minute, most likely due to the chip shortage. Most reviewers say the stock system is decent/good, but end of the day it's a subjective matter. Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it. Considering a speaker upgrade?
3. Nuluxe leather - I'll admit I haven't actually sat in a F Sport 300h (there are none within a 100mi radius of me) and only sat in the UL trim. I've heard really good things about the F Sport seats, so am surprised to hear your experience, which is unfortunate. I sat in the F Sport IS and felt that the seat was pretty comfy, so am sure the bigger spaced ES will feel better.
4. I am shocked to hear you've received poor service after purchase, are you referring to the service dept of your local dealership? Perhaps it's just your local dealership. I have had one horrible experience with one Lexus dealership, but my local ones have all been great. I plan to just get oil changes done at local dealerships since it'll be covered, but otherwise I have an independent mechanic that will take over once the 2yr or mileage is up for me.
Old 05-10-22, 03:11 AM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

There are plenty of UL with ML audio.

Yes, the base ES with no real leather, no ML, no memory seats, no wood trim is hardly a luxury car. Reminds me of the base BMW 320 with cloth seats and manual windows.
Old 05-10-22, 09:22 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by 703
There are plenty of UL with ML audio.

Yes, the base ES with no real leather, no ML, no memory seats, no wood trim is hardly a luxury car. Reminds me of the base BMW 320 with cloth seats and manual windows.
Yeah the base wasn't anything special, but still higher quality than an Avalon imo.

As for UL, definitely a great vehicle and felt luxurious. I wanted a balance of aesthetics and luxury, so the F Sport trim seems right for me.
Old 05-10-22, 12:04 PM
2020300h
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dezymond
I'm planning to take delivery of a 300h next month. This is going to be my first hybrid vehicle. I'm just curious as to what made you switch over.

Some of my main reasons for switching:
1. I wanted a more fuel efficient vehicle. My current TLX gets about 26mpg combined which is great for a V6, but with the rise in gas prices, it wouldn't hurt to save a bit at the pump, especially since I drive so much.
2. Lexus is the only luxury brand that offers what I am looking for, a traditional hybrid system. Other systems from other makes only offer a PHEV option.
3. Since I do drive so much, I want my drive to be more serene and comfortable.
4. I wanted something more luxurious. In my test drives, the 300h fits the bill; it has enough power, it is extremely quiet and comfortable, and I'm going to average 44mpg, so I'm essentially getting more for less. It's also a very smooth ride considering there's no belts or gears, so the added comfort in that regard is nice. The ZF9 in my TLX is slow and not smooth (something this transmission is well known for.)
5. Just needed a change, having driven my current vehicle for almost 7years now, just needed a change. Plus the F Sport trim I'm getting looks really good.

That being said, what has your experience been? Do you regret anything, especially if making the switch from a conventional ICE vehicle?
Hi Desmond. I tried my local dealership and also reached out to the corporate customer service desk and found the same cold I don’t care response. I am working with a friend of mine who is a investigative reporter for the local news channel and will let him take the car drive and record all the issues with this model as well as the audio system issue and then let air his findings to the public. This would be a good way to get Lexus and the FTC to notice the issues the Lexus owners are complaining about.
The following users liked this post:
dezymond (05-10-22)
Old 05-10-22, 12:30 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2020300h
Hi Desmond. I tried my local dealership and also reached out to the corporate customer service desk and found the same cold I don’t care response. I am working with a friend of mine who is a investigative reporter for the local news channel and will let him take the car drive and record all the issues with this model as well as the audio system issue and then let air his findings to the public. This would be a good way to get Lexus and the FTC to notice the issues the Lexus owners are complaining about.
Good luck. Sucks to hear you've experienced that kind of service, especially from a luxury brand company.
Old 05-12-22, 12:31 PM
Forceman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my 2022 ES300h Ultra Luxury last week.
I had an ES350 for 7 years. Although I liked it but really hate the road noise and especially the standard sound system. It is hardly there when its on freeway unless you turn it really loud. Even then, its not that good.
-With the ES300h, the ML is significantly better. No comparison, a must have. The road noise might still be there, but the superior sound over-ride the road noise and the sound is beautiful. Although it took me a while to get used to.
-With the hybrid, I am trying to get more green, but thought I was going to sacrifice power, but the hybrid is actually more responsive then the V6. (It might take longer to get to 60 mph, but the responsiveness just make you feel you will be there faster. A great surprise.
-Certainly great mpg is especially important with gas price rising.
-I also enjoy the extension of driver seat, it make you more relaxed for longer journey.
-I ordered the 2022 model in 2021 becasue it will have touch screen and its worth the 6 months wait.
-The Lexus safety system 2.5 is ok, I wish they will do more and better. The 360 Panarama is good to have, it really help you during parking and difficult turns.
-HUD is really nice to have, you no longer have turn your eye sight. Turn by Turn, Speed Limit, Driving Speed, Lane Centering etc, all in front of you.
-The back window and rear window shades are nice if you are in sunshine states.
-Kick Trunk opener is ok, probably will not use much as it does not sense every time.
-I do not like the Lexus Navigation Map. But the implementation of Android Auto is bad. You lost the Turn by Turn on HUD, you also can not play other audio sources, only limited to Android Auto Apps.
-The Lexus Enform App is good, it provides remote start, remote door lock, viehcle health, and drive pulse & trip history. Very useful but you have to subscription after 3 years. Sucks
-The Lexus Navigation is very disappoiting. It lead me to a freeway entry when the destination is Costco Warehouse, it also lead me a long route (extra 7 miles) to a shopping mall, anothertime lead me to turn an unlawful lane. One other time, it took 3 minutes to get a correct GPS location of my car, I was already in freeway by the time it got my correct GPS location. Will never use it again. Stay with Android Auto, but will miss turn by turn HUD. Sigh!!

Last edited by Forceman; 05-19-22 at 09:13 AM. Reason: add aditional comment
Old 05-12-22, 12:42 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Forceman
-Kick Trunk opener is ok, probably will not use much as it does not sense every time.

It takes some practice but after a while you will get it to open reliably. I initially had the same issue as well. I find it easier to open it than on my Wife's new Venza. It is a bit less forgiving on the ES.

Last edited by ionian; 05-12-22 at 12:43 PM. Reason: ...
Forceman (05-12-22)
Old 05-13-22, 12:23 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

The trunk kicker is very reliable, mine works 99% of the time.
Old 05-14-22, 11:56 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Just got my 2022 ES300h Ultra Luxury last week.
I had an ES350 for 7 years. Although I liked it but really hate the road noise and especially the standard sound system. It is hardly there when its on freeway unless you turn it really loud. Even then, its not that good.
-With the ES300h, the ML is significantly better. No comparison, a must have. The road noise might still be there, but the superior sound over-ride the road noise and the sound is beautiful. Although it took me a while to get used to.
-With the hybrid, I am trying to get more green, but thought I was going to sacrifice power, but the hybrid is actually more responsive then the V6. (It might take longer to get to 60 mph, but the responsiveness just make you feel you will be there faster. A great surprise.
-Certainly great mpg is especially important with gas price rising.
-I also enjoy the extension of driver seat, it make you more relaxed for longer journey.
-I ordered the 2022 model in 2021 becasue it will have touch screen and its worth the 6 months wait.
-The Lexus safety system 2.5 is ok, I wish they will do more and better. The 360 Panarama is good to have, it really help you during parking and difficult turns.
-HUD is really nice to have, you no longer have turn your eye sight. Turn by Turn, Speed Limit, Driving Speed, Lane Centering etc, all in front of you.
-The back window and rear window shades are nice if you are in sunshine states.
-I do not like the Lexus Navigation Map. But the implementation of Android Auto is bad. You lost the Turn by Turn on HUD, you also can not play other audio sources, only limited to Android Auto Apps.
-The Lexus Enform App is good, it provides remote start, remote door lock, viehcle health, and drive pulse & trip history. Very useful but you have to subscription after 3 years. Sucks
Appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences. It sucks that the HUD doesn't work with Android Auto. I won't have the HUD in mine, didn't want it, but wish manufacturers would implement it more seamlessly since AA and Carplay have been out for years now. I wonder if the new infotainment implements AA better.

I'm actually pretty excited about the Enform app. 3yr trial period is quite generous, especially with everything being subscription based now, imo. I will happily pay the $80/year for the app to get remote start and vehicle information, a good deal if you ask me.
Old 05-14-22, 02:04 PM
Forceman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HUD is such a plus, I felt is a must. I believe Lexus did not implement the TBT to Android Auto because they want us to subscribe Lexus Navigation.
The Enform Remote cost $80/year, but it requires the subscription of Enform Connect, which is another $80/year
Old 05-14-22, 02:25 PM
dezymond
Instructor

HUD is such a plus, I felt is a must. I believe Lexus did not implement the TBT to Android Auto because they want us to subscribe Lexus Navigation.
The Enform Remote cost $80/year, but it requires the subscription of Enform Connect, which is another $80/year
Whoops, overlooked the Enform Connect part. So $160/yr, still not bad tbh. I've wasted more on less hah.
Old 06-15-22, 10:55 AM
dbun
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not in the market for a new vehicle at all, and then I ended up completely totaling out my GMC Terrain. Luckily, I'd bought the car from my company and got it for cheap. I paid $13k for it, and then insurance ended up paying out $26k.

All of a sudden I have a whole new budget to work with. I only had 2 and a half weeks to secure a vehicle or I'd have to pay out of pocket for the rental car. I found my 2019 ES300h with 81k miles at the local dealership that was listed at $35k. It's a base but decently optioned, (BSM, Heated/Cooled Seats, 18 inch Wheels, etc.). I went and test drove it during lunch one day and it basically ruined the car buying experience for me.

I came to the conclusion that if I could find a brand new Camry or RAV4 hybrid for the same or less, I'd buy that. After going to several dealerships in the area, I quickly realized that if I wanted to get a brand new vehicle I'd basically have to get lucky that one showed up on the lot that day, and that out the door it'd end up being about $37k. Fast forward about a week, I call the Lexus salesman and say, "Hey, if I give you $30k for that ES, I'll come in today and do all the paperwork". Well, he bit, and I ended up buying the car, when I showed up I took a closer look and realized there were a few pretty decent chips in the windshield, and basically told them that I'd need the windshield replaced, or something in writing that stated they'd replace a windshield if the chips ended up running. They scheduled me for the next Tuesday and I got a new windshield.

I've had the car for almost a month now, and absolutely love it. With gas prices going crazy right now, it's amazing to get 42+ mpg, without really trying. Hoping to turn into a Lexus lifer moving forward, and I can't help but stare at my car every time I walk away from parking it.
LVPUNK (02-02-23)
Old 06-18-22, 07:33 PM
Iverwig
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my wife 300H and I got the 350. I love the gas mileage on the 300H and while the 350 obviously has more power I actually prefer the Hybrid. The Hybrid has the same luxury, is quieter and a money saver in gas.
The following 3 users liked this post by Iverwig:
dezymond (06-18-22), FMY421 (05-12-23), kingofire (06-19-22)
Old 06-19-22, 05:02 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Iverwig
I bought my wife 300H and I got the 350. I love the gas mileage on the 300H and while the 350 obviously has more power I actually prefer the Hybrid. The Hybrid has the same luxury, is quieter and a money saver in gas.
odd that you have 2 of the same car! We always mix it up to get better utility and experience.
Old 06-19-22, 05:03 AM
Lead Lap

340k miles and still on original brakes. Lol.

Quick Reply: What made you get the 300h