Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

What made you get the 300h

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 09:53 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts
Default What made you get the 300h

I'm planning to take delivery of a 300h next month. This is going to be my first hybrid vehicle. I'm just curious as to what made you switch over.

Some of my main reasons for switching:
1. I wanted a more fuel efficient vehicle. My current TLX gets about 26mpg combined which is great for a V6, but with the rise in gas prices, it wouldn't hurt to save a bit at the pump, especially since I drive so much.
2. Lexus is the only luxury brand that offers what I am looking for, a traditional hybrid system. Other systems from other makes only offer a PHEV option.
3. Since I do drive so much, I want my drive to be more serene and comfortable.
4. I wanted something more luxurious. In my test drives, the 300h fits the bill; it has enough power, it is extremely quiet and comfortable, and I'm going to average 44mpg, so I'm essentially getting more for less. It's also a very smooth ride considering there's no belts or gears, so the added comfort in that regard is nice. The ZF9 in my TLX is slow and not smooth (something this transmission is well known for.)
5. Just needed a change, having driven my current vehicle for almost 7years now, just needed a change. Plus the F Sport trim I'm getting looks really good.

That being said, what has your experience been? Do you regret anything, especially if making the switch from a conventional ICE vehicle?
Old 04-20-22, 10:05 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Supreme technology (hybrid)
New exclusive more expensive modern engine option
MPG

This is my fourth hybrid. Do not regret it. It's some of the strongest technology in the world.

Also better on maintenance, way less moving parts, no transmission, no belts, no pulleys, no vibrations at idle or during most of driving. Pure electric in most situations, quieter. list goes on and on.
The following users liked this post:
dezymond (04-20-22)
Old 04-20-22, 10:27 AM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
Supreme technology (hybrid)
New exclusive more expensive modern engine option
MPG

This is my fourth hybrid. Do not regret it. It's some of the strongest technology in the world.

Also better on maintenance, way less moving parts, no transmission, no belts, no pulleys, no vibrations at idle or during most of driving. Pure electric in most situations, quieter. list goes on and on.
I was always bias against hybrids, I bought into the stigma that came with it, and I'm a car guy, but also stubborn...I admit I never gave it a fair chance until my recent search.

That being said, I'm older now, drive a ton, and just want more comfort.. Looking at it from a financial perspective, there are many advantages to a hybrid system that I was not aware of years ago. I'm glad Lexus offers what I am looking for and was the pioneer in hybrid technology. They're the best for a reason and I am looking forward to ownership.

Last edited by dezymond; 04-20-22 at 10:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dezymond:
Stoodo (05-11-22), TXWJ (04-22-22)
Old 04-20-22, 10:34 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

I have owned two Toyota hybrids and this was my 3rd Lexus hybrid. The fuel economy is certainly a nice bonus and was clearly the priority for hybrid design, but it wasn’t my personal objective. I can afford the gas and my wife and I don’t put a lot of miles on our cars anyway. What I really like is the smoother and quieter car. The internal combustion engine can get a bit louder when pushed hard, but this isn’t the type of car I would get if I needed to engage in spirited driving. It has plenty of power for urban and even most mountain driving and the average 45 MPG is pretty amazing. The lack of alternator, starter and accessory drive belt is nice but it is really offset by the increased complexity of the motor/generator, braking and drive battery, so the hybrid is still more complex. I have seen improvements in the hybrid technology since our 2006 Toyota, so most of the early quirks that concerned many people have been resolved.

To summarize, as you pointed out the “serene and comfortable” was my primary goal, while fuel economy was secondary. The drivetrain has proven itself as far as I can tell so I am not the least bit concerned about hybrids or the battery.

Last edited by TechNut; 04-20-22 at 10:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TechNut:
dezymond (04-20-22), landonm86 (07-19-22), TXWJ (04-22-22)
Old 04-20-22, 11:18 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

1. Lexus reliability;
2. Lexus hybrid drive;
3. The car is so quiet, refined, comfortabe;
4. Looks (Eminent white pearl with 18" noise reduction wheels) pretty;

ES300h is the best Lexus product for the money, it is so good that buying the LS is a bit overkill.
r1supersta (11-27-22)
Old 04-20-22, 12:51 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
That being said, what has your experience been? Do you regret anything, especially if making the switch from a conventional ICE vehicle?
If you don't mind an opposing viewpoint. For the 2022 MY, I test drove a 300h UL after I had already ordered my ES 350 UL. I wanted to check out the main differences from my, at that time, 2019 ES Luxury. Even though I had already ordered a 350 UL, I had not been able to actually inspect an UL prior to completing my special order. This was mainly due to scarcity and COVID issues. So when my dealer received a dealer trade for a 22' UL ES300h, my contact reached out to come see for myself. I wasn't concerned about the interior changes and touchscreen as I already knew what to expect but it pays to know what you are getting. The main focus for me was the hybrid system's overall performance and responsiveness. I knew the performance number's difference between the 350 and 300h but until you actually drive them both, you can't really know how you will receive them. Aside from the hybrid system, the UL was exactly what I expected and I was happy for the touchscreen interface update. Unhappy about the wireless charger dominating the console area even worse than the previous iterations. Still couldn't get the damn thing to charge with a case but I digress. The real focus for me was the power and responsiveness. I knew within 2 minutes I would not be satisfied with the 300h. It was a terrific car. For the right buyer, I knew it would fit the bill. But that buyer would almost certainly never be me. To be fair, fuel costs aren't an area of contention. That was and has never been a major determining factor for me. What I noticed almost immediately was the lack of thrust and responsiveness that I was accustomed to with the 350. It was the same situation when I was test driving Audi A6's. The smaller engine, the 45, was too underpowered. So the 55 was the only way to go for me. But the $70k+ price tag and lack of inventory pretty much killed my hopes for an A6. Even though the 350 isn't considered a "driver's car" or sporty car, the 300h was just too lethargic for me. It's one of those situations when it's likely more of an emotional decision versus a practical decision. The 300h would have been the smart practical decision for fuel economy. Options were going to be the same either way so it all boiled down to how spirited the vehicle felt. For me, there was no comparison. I am a very safe driver and I certainly do not have a lead foot. The performance of the 300h was certainly adequate but once you've become accustomed to certain expectations of the driving experience, it's hard to compromise aspects that are most important to you. It's often impossible to tell your heart to listen to your brain. So that is my 2 cents!
x

Last edited by UltraLux22; 04-20-22 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 08:37 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Originally Posted by UltraLux22
If you don't mind an opposing viewpoint. For the 2022 MY, I test drove a 300h UL after I had already ordered my ES 350 UL. I wanted to check out the main differences from my, at that time, 2019 ES Luxury. Even though I had already ordered a 350 UL, I had not been able to actually inspect an UL prior to completing my special order. This was mainly due to scarcity and COVID issues. So when my dealer received a dealer trade for a 22' UL ES300h, my contact reached out to come see for myself. I wasn't concerned about the interior changes and touchscreen as I already knew what to expect but it pays to know what you are getting. The main focus for me was the hybrid system's overall performance and responsiveness. I knew the performance number's difference between the 350 and 300h but until you actually drive them both, you can't really know how you will receive them. Aside from the hybrid system, the UL was exactly what I expected and I was happy for the touchscreen interface update. Unhappy about the wireless charger dominating the console area even worse than the previous iterations. Still couldn't get the damn thing to charge with a case but I digress. The real focus for me was the power and responsiveness. I knew within 2 minutes I would not be satisfied with the 300h. It was a terrific car. For the right buyer, I knew it would fit the bill. But that buyer would almost certainly never be me. To be fair, fuel costs aren't an area of contention. That was and has never been a major determining factor for me. What I noticed almost immediately was the lack of thrust and responsiveness that I was accustomed to with the 350. It was the same situation when I was test driving Audi A6's. The smaller engine, the 45, was too underpowered. So the 55 was the only way to go for me. But the $70k+ price tag and lack of inventory pretty much killed my hopes for an A6. Even though the 350 isn't considered a "driver's car" or sporty car, the 300h was just too lethargic for me. It's one of those situations when it's likely more of an emotional decision versus a practical decision. The 300h would have been the smart practical decision for fuel economy. Options were going to be the same either way so it all boiled down to how spirited the vehicle felt. For me, there was no comparison. I am a very safe driver and I certainly do not have a lead foot. The performance of the 300h was certainly adequate but once you've become accustomed to certain expectations of the driving experience, it's hard to compromise aspects that are most important to you. It's often impossible to tell your heart to listen to your brain. So that is my 2 cents!
x
Don't mind the opposing viewpoint at all, I welcome it. Going into this journey of getting a hybrid that was my biggest fear, the lack of power and driving fuel. Then I thought more about my driving style and I don't drive spiritedly, I rarely push my car, and besides just my personal driving style, the car I have currently is happened by the garbage ZF9 transmission. Around the city, the 300h is easily 1000x times smoother than my Acura TLX will ever be. I know I will miss the power and smooth powerband of the V6, it's a superb engine and I know Toyota uses an excellent V6 as well. However, with as much as I drive around (including work and personal time), a higher mpg vehicle just makes more sense. I'm not hurting at the pump, the money isn't the issue, if it was I sure as hell wouldn't be dropping near $60k on a new vehicle. I see this more of just a change, perhaps I'm bored with my car or maybe it's more of a symbolic change. Closing in on 100k miles on my Acura, I said I'd maybe close this chapter once I hit that milestone. Almost 7 years later, here I am committed to buying a Lexus.

I just want something a bit more comfortable, more upscale, and gets higher mpg, the 300h is it. It checks basically all the boxes for me other than HP. From time to time I do step on the gas to move around slower drivers (get your butt to the slow lane if you driving 65mph or under on the freeway), but otherwise the power won't be missed. What I'll be missing will be made up for with comfort, luxury, technology, and higher mpg. The 350 is a fine car, but higher mpg was one of the top priorities on my list, otherwise there was no sense in upgrading other than getting a shiny new toy haha. Perhaps that new toy can be a weekend car, once the ES is paid off.
Old 04-21-22, 09:04 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Differing viewpoints are what a discussion forum is all about @UltraLux22 ! You articulated a compelling argument for the very reason there are different models for every taste. Coming from a car family with a lot of performance cars, I would have likely felt the same way 20 years ago. So I think our tastes evolve as we go through life but the only “wrong” choice is the one that doesn’t account for our personal preferences (and needs) at a given point in time. I for one appreciate hearing alternate viewpoints when shared in such a respectful manner! Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by TechNut:
dezymond (04-21-22), UltraLux22 (04-21-22)
Old 04-22-22, 03:40 AM
TXWJ
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the UL ES300h is the perfect car for me,

I wanted a quiet car with a smooth ride. I wanted a car that was luxurious.

I wanted a dependable car.

I wanted a low maintenance car that could last 200-300 K with proper care.

The following 2 users liked this post by TXWJ:
Iverwig (06-18-22), LS500Fan (04-22-22)
Old 04-22-22, 07:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

If the ES350 had a twin turbo V6 modern powertrain with a kick *** 10 speed transmission thats one thing. but the fact that it has an old old V6 -- i couldn't live with myself buying a new car with an old engine. that's the same thing I did with the IS200T i bought. at the time the 4-turbo was brand new and to me that's exciting vs. the old V6. i specifically went for the 200T so i could have a modern 4-turbo engine (at the time). That V6 likely would not see the next iteration of the ES. i think it's done for.

Also while the ES350 is faster if you hold the gas pedal down for 10 seconds, the ES300h has a more useful realistic torque curve as the power comes on lower, flatter, and faster due to the EV motor. There's no complaint of waiting for the power, the ES300h just leaps instantly. So I find its power more useful even though it can't theoretically achieve the faster quarter mile of the ES350.

ES350=lag/faster in a timed event
ES300h=no lag/slightly slower in a timed event

Also ES300h=life time brakes.
landonm86 (07-19-22)
Old 04-22-22, 09:28 AM
junglejim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satisfied with es300h

I owned a 2013 ES 300h for 176,000 miles. only non routine maintenance was replacing a front wheel bearing. I now own a 2018 ES 300h with 60,000 miles. Love it although it doesn't get as good of fuel mileage as the 2013.
Old 04-22-22, 12:04 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by junglejim
I owned a 2013 ES 300h for 176,000 miles. only non routine maintenance was replacing a front wheel bearing. I now own a 2018 ES 300h with 60,000 miles. Love it although it doesn't get as good of fuel mileage as the 2013.
that’s odd. The new A25A engine gets significantly better mileage than the 2AR engine.
Old 04-22-22, 01:04 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
that’s odd. The new A25A engine gets significantly better mileage than the 2AR engine.

2013-2018 uses 2AR;
2019+ uses A25A;
The following 2 users liked this post by ESh:
FMY421 (05-12-23), mcomer (05-14-22)
Old 04-22-22, 02:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

haha ya. that poster is mixing up his 2018 with 7th gen. it has the older powertrain.
Old 04-23-22, 01:47 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
haha ya. that poster is mixing up his 2018 with 7th gen. it has the older powertrain.
Its not clear if he has the current Gen or last Gen. In 2018 you can buy both generations.

Quick Reply: What made you get the 300h