Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Why wont NX 2022 350H go into EV MODE when it is available?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-23, 01:35 PM
jlim0930
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah thats what I was afraid of also... hence wanting to get a 350h loaner to drive for a bit so that I can see if its my driving style that is causing this or if its just my car then I would have something more solid to get back to the dealer with.

Highly doubt that its my driving style.. I drive pretty slow and and always watch and make sure that the meter stays near the ECO area
Old 01-03-23, 01:41 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jlim0930
yeah thats what I was afraid of also... hence wanting to get a 350h loaner to drive for a bit so that I can see if its my driving style that is causing this or if its just my car then I would have something more solid to get back to the dealer with.

Highly doubt that its my driving style.. I drive pretty slow and and always watch and make sure that the meter stays near the ECO area
One sure Fire Way to get crappier mileage is have the 20 inch wheels which I do, but I can’t imagine it being more than about a 10% reduction in mileage over the 18 inch wheels.
Old 01-03-23, 01:45 PM
jlim0930
Rookie

hmmm I have 20s also.. wouldn't bigger wheels help improve mpg? but I seriously doubt it'll make that much difference
Old 01-03-23, 02:26 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

hmmm I have 20s also.. wouldn't bigger wheels help improve mpg? but I seriously doubt it'll make that much difference
no bigger wheels definitely make it worse. I’ve done the research and like I said, I am allowing 10% but any more than that is unreasonable I believe.
Old 01-03-23, 02:39 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
One sure Fire Way to get crappier mileage is have the 20 inch wheels which I do, but I can’t imagine it being more than about a 10% reduction in mileage over the 18 inch wheels.
Regardless of whether you have the 18" wheels or the 20" wheels, the total diameter of the wheels plus tires should be virtually identical. The difference is that the tires that come with the 20" wheels are lower profile tires, and those lower profile tires make up for the 2" difference in the wheels.

Based on the tires used with each set up, one might have tires with better rolling resistance, but, otherwise fuel economy should be very close. Other factors would be much more important in causing differences that some people get in MPG and what other people get. Those factors include driving style, ambient temperature, tire inflation, where one drives, whether most trips are shorter trips or longer trips, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
lsft (01-06-23), LStoneX (01-03-23)
Old 01-03-23, 02:55 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by lesz
Regardless of whether you have the 18" wheels or the 20" wheels, the total diameter of the wheels plus tires should be virtually identical. The difference is that the tires that come with the 20" wheels are lower profile tires, and those lower profile tires make up for the 2" difference in the wheels.

Based on the tires used with each set up, one might have tires with better rolling resistance, but, otherwise fuel economy should be very close. Other factors would be much more important in causing differences that some people get in MPG and what other people get. Those factors include driving style, ambient temperature, tire inflation, where one drives, whether most trips are shorter trips or longer trips, etc.
36. In each tire, 60° outside temperature, very little traffic, driving it as slow as possible on the battery as long as possible and I get 35 miles per gallon.

I had a identical car as a loaner for one week with 18 inch wheels and driving the exact same trip the exact same time of day the exact same driving style exact same traffic 45 to 50 miles per gallon

I do what has come to be known as hyper miling as much as I can so my mileage should be much better than 35

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 01-03-23 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-03-23, 03:06 PM
jlim0930
Rookie

im sure your driving style was similar in the loaner vs your own so why the difference? it would say that there was something wrong with the car.

I am in DFW area and its mostly flat and our temps been in the 70s... on highways i got ~28 and on city i get 33.7 +/- 0.2 max. even when the car is warmed up or not... definitely something is not right. proving that something is not right to the dealer is the hard part.
Old 01-03-23, 03:17 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

im sure your driving style was similar in the loaner vs your own so why the difference? it would say that there was something wrong with the car.

I am in DFW area and its mostly flat and our temps been in the 70s... on highways i got ~28 and on city i get 33.7 +/- 0.2 max. even when the car is warmed up or not... definitely something is not right. proving that something is not right to the dealer is the hard part.
part of the problem is people coming onto message boards and saying they get really high mileage that maybe they do maybe they don’t, I proved that you can get really high mileage with the loaner and the only difference is the wheels so I don’t know.

frustrated
Old 01-03-23, 04:12 PM
jlim0930
Rookie

im sure theres some bloating when ppl post but not by that much.. also https://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/nx350h/2022

just wish that there was a way to find out what might be the issue.....
Old 01-04-23, 02:07 PM
ViMat
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I have done about 7 trips to the cottage with my 350h, 20'' wheels.
Trip to the cottage is about 120km: 60km highway (120km/h), 50km country roads (80km/h), 10km city (60km/h)
My experience is that to get better mileage I have to put an effort and drive the car carefully, accelerating very slowly and trying to "glide" as much as possible. Driving 120km/h on cruise control usually gives me the worst mileage.
Best mileage while driving to the cottage: 5l/100km (47 MPG). I put an effort to safe that trip, gliding a lot, there was decent traffic on highway, so <100km/h speed. With normal traffic I would just annoy to many people driving like that, so not sustainabe.
Worst millage: 7l/100km (33.6 MPG)
Average mileage: 6.1l/100km (38 MPG)

The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (04-03-23)
Old 01-04-23, 03:42 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ViMat
I have done about 7 trips to the cottage with my 350h, 20'' wheels.
Trip to the cottage is about 120km: 60km highway (120km/h), 50km country roads (80km/h), 10km city (60km/h)
My experience is that to get better mileage I have to put an effort and drive the car carefully, accelerating very slowly and trying to "glide" as much as possible. Driving 120km/h on cruise control usually gives me the worst mileage.
Best mileage while driving to the cottage: 5l/100km (47 MPG). I put an effort to safe that trip, gliding a lot, there was decent traffic on highway, so <100km/h speed. With normal traffic I would just annoy to many people driving like that, so not sustainabe.
Worst millage: 7l/100km (33.6 MPG)
Average mileage: 6.1l/100km (38 MPG)
I totally agree with you that 120km/h on cruise control doesn't seem to get great mileage on the highway (I average about 7.0L/100km when doing that).

However, I love me my adaptive cruise control! So a good compromise is to keep adaptive cruise on but set my speed for 105km/h. I find I average between 5.9-6.2L/100km when I drop cruising speed to that level. Which is good enough for me. When I need to pass, I step on the gas, go around and drop back to cruising speed. And if I'm in a hurry, then mileage is the least of my concerns and I'm flooring it🤣😜

Ultimately, do what works best for you. Right now it's no big deal for me. If I was getting 8L/100km or higher, maybe them I might be perturbed.

Right now, it's all zoom zoom baby!
The following 2 users liked this post by LStoneX:
lsft (01-06-23), ViMat (01-05-23)
Old 01-05-23, 04:42 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Can't recall where it is offhand, but there's a setting to make the cruise control recovery less aggressive. I've JUST found this setting so don't have any data yet, but I expect it to GREATLY increase the mileage when using adaptive cruise control. I'd definitely recommend hunting in the settings and change it. The car now is much slower to speed up given the opportunity, and is just smoother in general which I think should definitely help with efficiency.

Old 01-05-23, 05:20 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by mbezzo
Can't recall where it is offhand, but there's a setting to make the cruise control recovery less aggressive. I've JUST found this setting so don't have any data yet, but I expect it to GREATLY increase the mileage when using adaptive cruise control. I'd definitely recommend hunting in the settings and change it. The car now is much slower to speed up given the opportunity, and is just smoother in general which I think should definitely help with efficiency.
Already on it, but thanks. Can’t use any cruise and get decent mileage, unfortunately.
Old 02-24-23, 07:52 PM
melissa703
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
I am driving slow on my street where I live, been driving for a bit, the EV MODE is available because if I hit the button to turn it on it goes ON, why isn't it on automatically anytime it is available?

I am getting 34 MPG, was hoping to be closer to the 41 or 39 advertised. I am driving very conservative, I do use the adaptive cruise a lot in town but that means I accelerate very slowly also and should result in better mileage.

I also have turned off the back seat reminder in the car settings multiple times but it always still appears on my phone app, in case anyone knows a trick. I have logged out of the app and toggled the in car switch and still comes on.
im getting almost 38 mpg average and I got my 2022 NX 350h back in October. Just last week I finally started playing around with ecomode. I use it for when I’m going under 35 but switch out otherwise due to the slow pickup in eco. I do find I have better mileage per trip when I use it.
Old 02-24-23, 08:21 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by melissa703
im getting almost 38 mpg average and I got my 2022 NX 350h back in October. Just last week I finally started playing around with ecomode. I use it for when I’m going under 35 but switch out otherwise due to the slow pickup in eco. I do find I have better mileage per trip when I use it.
thanks for your input, I’m getting over 40 miles to the gallon in town when I am very very careful.
The following users liked this post:
melissa703 (02-25-23)

Quick Reply: Why wont NX 2022 350H go into EV MODE when it is available?