Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Why wont NX 2022 350H go into EV MODE when it is available?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-22, 02:59 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Why wont NX 2022 350H go into EV MODE when it is available?

I am driving slow on my street where I live, been driving for a bit, the EV MODE is available because if I hit the button to turn it on it goes ON, why isn't it on automatically anytime it is available?

I am getting 34 MPG, was hoping to be closer to the 41 or 39 advertised. I am driving very conservative, I do use the adaptive cruise a lot in town but that means I accelerate very slowly also and should result in better mileage.

I also have turned off the back seat reminder in the car settings multiple times but it always still appears on my phone app, in case anyone knows a trick. I have logged out of the app and toggled the in car switch and still comes on.

Old 05-10-22, 06:23 PM
OPorz
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2022 NX 350h as well. Owned for 1 month, 2300 miles so far. My mpg has trickled up for 26 when I took receipt to 34.1 now. We’ve also been driving conservatively and have even put it in ECO mode for the last 500 miles. Frustrating. Also odd that you can’t reset the mpg or set a “trip” mpg.

I have the same back seat reminder issue. Sorry, not sure about the automatic EV mode.
Old 05-10-22, 06:37 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
I am driving slow on my street where I live, been driving for a bit, the EV MODE is available because if I hit the button to turn it on it goes ON, why isn't it on automatically anytime it is available?

I am getting 34 MPG, was hoping to be closer to the 41 or 39 advertised. I am driving very conservative, I do use the adaptive cruise a lot in town but that means I accelerate very slowly also and should result in better mileage.

I also have turned off the back seat reminder in the car settings multiple times but it always still appears on my phone app, in case anyone knows a trick. I have logged out of the app and toggled the in car switch and still comes on.
There is no need to press that EV button. The car will manage itself. The car needs to break in to get better mileage. Hybrids do better in city driving and stop and go traffic or will be more efficient.
The following 2 users liked this post by lsft:
450hPlus (10-12-22), unkind2cat (05-12-22)
Old 05-10-22, 07:01 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by OPorz
I have a 2022 NX 350h as well. Owned for 1 month, 2300 miles so far. My mpg has trickled up for 26 when I took receipt to 34.1 now. We’ve also been driving conservatively and have even put it in ECO mode for the last 500 miles. Frustrating. Also odd that you can’t reset the mpg or set a “trip” mpg.

I have the same back seat reminder issue. Sorry, not sure about the automatic EV mode.
You can reset the mpg and there is an odometer button left of steering wheel where you can show miles since reset.

The MPG is in trip information but I dont remember if that is in the vehicle button or settings. You can clear it there, and I have the HUD (heads up display) so making a change directly on the odometer area is different, havent found a way to reset the mpg from the wheel

go here

https://www.youtube.com/c/NorthsideLexus

and watch part 1 and part 2 of DEEP DIVE of our model...very good stuff and very long

Last edited by LiBeRtAs; 05-10-22 at 07:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DDGNX (05-11-22)
Old 05-10-22, 07:03 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by lsft
There is no need to press that EV button. The car will manage itself. The car needs to break in to get better mileage. Hybrids do better in city driving and stop and go traffic or will be more efficient.
I dont have the plug in, and if I dont hit the EV MODE button it will often NOT go into that mode so it does make a difference. That is my problem, I wish I didn't have to push the button...yes sometimes it puts itself into the mode but not all the time.
Old 05-10-22, 07:06 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 385 Posts

I dont have the plug in, and if I dont hit the EV MODE button it will often NOT go into that mode so it does make a difference. That is my problem, I wish I didn't have to push the button...yes sometimes it puts itself into the mode but not all the time.
When you start the car the engine will warm up before it will go into EV mode. Pressing the button will not help. Just let it do it's job.
Old 05-10-22, 07:18 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by lsft
When you start the car the engine will warm up before it will go into EV mode. Pressing the button will not help. Just let it do it's job.
I understand that, I am talking about after the car is warmed up, I am on a street driving slow, if I hit the EV MODE button the car will go into EV MODE most of the time if warmed up, but often it does not go into it by itself. My Toyota highlander hybrid also often didn't go into the mode but I could put it into the mode.

If there is no setting I am not setting to make this happen more often and I guess there is not, then it is what it is. Thanks.

Old 05-29-22, 10:51 AM
V8Zen
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the hybrids, my understanding is that going into full EV mode is more of a novelty and should not be done on the regular since it deep cycles the battery. The button is there as a gimmick, let the system choose the modes itself for longevity of your battery. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (01-05-23)
Old 05-29-22, 12:37 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by V8Zen
For the hybrids, my understanding is that going into full EV mode is more of a novelty and should not be done on the regular since it deep cycles the battery. The button is there as a gimmick, let the system choose the modes itself for longevity of your battery. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.
I believe I was misinterpreting when the car was in EV and when it wasn’t. All is well in that respect I believe, I just wish I could get this 40+ miles per gallon people talk about.
Old 05-29-22, 01:10 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by OPorz

You need to turn off the back seat reminder in the infotainment system, as well at in two places within the app. If any of those spots remains turned on, you will still get the reminder.
Old 05-29-22, 01:13 PM
OPorz
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

After resetting the trip odometer and mpg calculation, we moved from 34 average to 38-39. Not quite to 40 but I’m happy with that.
Old 01-03-23, 11:00 AM
jlim0930
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I was misinterpreting when the car was in EV and when it wasn’t. All is well in that respect I believe, I just wish I could get this 40+ miles per gallon people talk about.
Were you able to get better MPGs? I am currently at 1400 and only getting 33.7 and rarely moves +/- 0.2 and never gotten over 33.9

a bit frustrating since we drive conservatively and being in texas roads are flat and temps are mild.
Old 01-03-23, 11:31 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlim0930
Were you able to get better MPGs? I am currently at 1400 and only getting 33.7 and rarely moves +/- 0.2 and never gotten over 33.9

a bit frustrating since we drive conservatively and being in texas roads are flat and temps are mild.
now I’m looking at 35 mpg combined for all driving, 90% of it is in town driving as much as I can on the battery, which means this is not very good, some of the trips are short like less than 2 miles and I can’t get it to go onto the battery for most of the trip even if I stop for 10 minutes to go into a store and come back out to go to 2 miles again most of the trip it will not go into the battery and will never charge over four bars
Old 01-03-23, 12:26 PM
jlim0930
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

now I’m looking at 35 mpg combined for all driving, 90% of it is in town driving as much as I can on the battery, which means this is not very good, some of the trips are short like less than 2 miles and I can’t get it to go onto the battery for most of the trip even if I stop for 10 minutes to go into a store and come back out to go to 2 miles again most of the trip it will not go into the battery and will never charge over four bars
Thats a bummer and is similar to what I am seeing. Wondering if there is something wrong with the car or if the battery is functioning correctly? do you think its worth it to take it into the dealership to test? I would like to test drive another 350h just to make sure that my style of driving is getting similar mpg on another vehicle just to be sure.
Old 01-03-23, 01:05 PM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlim0930
Thats a bummer and is similar to what I am seeing. Wondering if there is something wrong with the car or if the battery is functioning correctly? do you think its worth it to take it into the dealership to test? I would like to test drive another 350h just to make sure that my style of driving is getting similar mpg on another vehicle just to be sure.
just had it at the dealer the other day to do the 5000 mile service. They said they looked at it and couldn’t find anything which is exactly what I expected.

Quick Reply: Why wont NX 2022 350H go into EV MODE when it is available?