Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

EV Drive Ratio meter - NX350H

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-22 | 05:43 PM
Steevz
9th Gear

Default EV Drive Ratio meter - NX350H

Can someone explain how the EV drive ratio meter works? What does it mean when it shows my drive ratio is say 60%? …And why does the EV battery meter never get below about 30%?

Last edited by Steevz; 05-17-22 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-16-22 | 11:45 PM
xcoreflyup
Rookie

From my understanding, the higher the EV Ratio, the better your MPG will be.
Old 06-19-22 | 12:14 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Originally Posted by Steevz
Can someone explain how the EV drive ratio meter works? What does it mean when it shows my drive ratio is say 60%? …And why does the EV battery meter never get below about 30%?
I've got the 450h+, but assume it works the same sort of way. The EV drive meter is just a percentage of how much of your drive (from power on to power off) was done in EV of hybrid mode. For the 450h+, this number can easily be 100% if you are doing shorter drives and charging regularly because the hybrid system with the gas engine rarely turns on.

For the 350h, you can still go into EV mode at low speeds, in stop and go traffic, and when the car thinks the EV engine can handle "coasting" the vehicle when at speed depending on road conditions and how you are driving. So, the meter would display what percentage of drive time the vehicle was using the EV mode (as shown by the "EV car" icon appearing below the "HV" icon on your display during your drive).

As to the meter never going below 30%, I assume that is tied to what reserve the car needs in order to be able to operate as they planned. Again, to relate to the 450h+, approximately 55% of the battery is dedicated to pure EV range. So, even at 45% remaining battery, you have to turn on the engine because the car needs that much battery to operate as a true hybrid and still deliver the performance expected of the vehicle.

Since the 350h has a smaller battery and ONLY operates in HV mode, I'd imagine the principle is the same. You need 30% left in the "tank" in order to drive as a hybrid and not compromise performance (accounting for battery degradation, electronics in the car being on, etc.).

Hope that helps!
The following 2 users liked this post by wattyb2:
LStoneX (07-19-22), Steevz (07-20-22)
Old 07-19-22 | 11:15 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wattyb2
I've got the 450h+, but assume it works the same sort of way. The EV drive meter is just a percentage of how much of your drive (from power on to power off) was done in EV of hybrid mode. For the 450h+, this number can easily be 100% if you are doing shorter drives and charging regularly because the hybrid system with the gas engine rarely turns on.

For the 350h, you can still go into EV mode at low speeds, in stop and go traffic, and when the car thinks the EV engine can handle "coasting" the vehicle when at speed depending on road conditions and how you are driving. So, the meter would display what percentage of drive time the vehicle was using the EV mode (as shown by the "EV car" icon appearing below the "HV" icon on your display during your drive).

As to the meter never going below 30%, I assume that is tied to what reserve the car needs in order to be able to operate as they planned. Again, to relate to the 450h+, approximately 55% of the battery is dedicated to pure EV range. So, even at 45% remaining battery, you have to turn on the engine because the car needs that much battery to operate as a true hybrid and still deliver the performance expected of the vehicle.

Since the 350h has a smaller battery and ONLY operates in HV mode, I'd imagine the principle is the same. You need 30% left in the "tank" in order to drive as a hybrid and not compromise performance (accounting for battery degradation, electronics in the car being on, etc.).

Hope that helps!
Great explanation!

I've got the 350h and you're spot on. I've had short trips where I was 80% EV mode. Like was said above, particularly in the 350h, your car will go into EV mode when:
  • You take your foot off the accelerator and start coasting
  • You're in traffic and stopped (mostly); if your battery is on or drops low, your engine will turn on
  • You depress the brakes to slow the car

If you have a lot of these in your drive, your EV ratio will increase and potentially you'll get better gas mileage.

Just don't go sprinting like a jack rabbit from every red light and stop sign🤣
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (10-16-22)