Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Gs450hw how to drive the car ultra Fuel efficient?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 11:40 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
how this 6.9 litre per highway can be achieved if speed is at 140km or more....
I thought you would've found out about aerodynamic drag by now.

Also, a smaller, lighter car with a smaller engine consumes just as much as a 500+kg heavier car with a bigger and way more powerful engine. I'll let you in on a secret - the Accord's figures are not impressive in this context.

Factory fuel consumption numbers absolutely are achievable. Factory fuel consumption numbers also don't mean "city = Moscow rush hour, highway = Autobahn at whatever speed you desire". Set cruise at 90-100kph and see if things change.

EV mode is not for economy. I'll let you figure out where the energy comes from and what's the most efficient way to put it on the ground. If you'd followed advice around here to learn about hypermiling (like, every prius fuel economy/hypermiling thread ever), you would've figured that out already.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 02:04 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
I thought you would've found out about aerodynamic drag by now.

Also, a smaller, lighter car with a smaller engine consumes just as much as a 500+kg heavier car with a bigger and way more powerful engine. I'll let you in on a secret - the Accord's figures are not impressive in this context.

Factory fuel consumption numbers absolutely are achievable. Factory fuel consumption numbers also don't mean "city = Moscow rush hour, highway = Autobahn at whatever speed you desire". Set cruise at 90-100kph and see if things change.

EV mode is not for economy. I'll let you figure out where the energy comes from and what's the most efficient way to put it on the ground. If you'd followed advice around here to learn about hypermiling (like, every prius fuel economy/hypermiling thread ever), you would've figured that out already.
So what people do when their battery is full in highway at 140 speed, they slow down to 40km and use it or?
Old 05-23-22, 06:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

They usually just keep driving until they get to their destination and use it in town.

Best speed for fuel economy, hybrid or gas, is 55-65 mph (88-104kph). Slow down. Google hyper-miling techniques.
Old 05-23-22, 11:13 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

So what people do when their battery is full in highway at 140 speed, they slow down to 40km and use it or?
Did you spend time researching this Lexus vehicle before you decided to purchase? I don't think you understand the benefit of the GS450h at all. It's a powerful, sporty, luxury 4-door sedan and also gets decent fuel economy (for the size, weight, power/engine). If you're after pure fuel economy and don't care about handling/sportiness/luxury/etc, get a car that is focused on pure fuel economy. Also, understand the advertised manufacturer fuel economy isn't typically reported at speeds like 140 kph (87 mph+). The best that I've achieved with a car full of stuff & people is about 33-34 mpg (roughly 7L/100km) traveling at faster highway speeds here in the U.S. 75-80 mph (120-28 kph).

To achieve better fuel economy, you need to drive slower and/or use the car for city driving where you are forced to travel at slower speed. In addition, the car really shines/benefits if you have stop & go traffic (when the engine shuts off & you can accelerate on the battery power alone; that's what makes the car unique).

I purchased the vehicle because I wanted something in the luxury market that has the power to go fast (it can do 0-60 mph in about 5.7 seconds), has excellent handling, and has 4 doors + good room in the trunk. I didn't want a full EV, because I didn't feel the infrastructure was there to support longer distance travel. Even today (almost 10 years later after the car was introduced), you'll find it hard to find a hybrid vehicle in this segment that can achieve the same fuel economy + offer all the extras. I understood that having to use the higher priced premium gas (91 octane+) would be required for all that things that I desired in a vehicle. Fuel economy was NOT the sole reason that I purchased the car, otherwise I could have spent half the amount to buy a totally different car.

~ im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 05-23-22 at 11:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Im2bz2p345:
bloodbean (05-23-22), JGB93 (05-23-22), Lwerewolf (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 05:30 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Just to add, higher octane gas is not needed over here (he EU), our 95 (as in 95 RON, considered regular) is pretty much your first "premium" octane grade.
Old 05-23-22, 05:49 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Did you spend time researching this Lexus vehicle before you decided to purchase? I don't think you understand the benefit of the GS450h at all. It's a powerful, sporty, luxury 4-door sedan and also gets decent fuel economy (for the size, weight, power/engine). If you're after pure fuel economy and don't care about handling/sportiness/luxury/etc, get a car that is focused on pure fuel economy. Also, understand the advertised manufacturer fuel economy isn't typically reported at speeds like 140 kph (87 mph+). The best that I've achieved with a car full of stuff & people is about 33-34 mpg (roughly 7L/100km) traveling at faster highway speeds here in the U.S. 75-80 mph (120-28 kph).

To achieve better fuel economy, you need to drive slower and/or use the car for city driving where you are forced to travel at slower speed. In addition, the car really shines/benefits if you have stop & go traffic (when the engine shuts off & you can accelerate on the battery power alone; that's what makes the car unique).

I purchased the vehicle because I wanted something in the luxury market that has the power to go fast (it can do 0-60 mph in about 5.7 seconds), has excellent handling, and has 4 doors + good room in the trunk. I didn't want a full EV, because I didn't feel the infrastructure was there to support longer distance travel. Even today (almost 10 years later after the car was introduced), you'll find it hard to find a hybrid vehicle in this segment that can achieve the same fuel economy + offer all the extras. I understood that having to use the higher priced premium gas (91 octane+) would be required for all that things that I desired in a vehicle. Fuel economy was NOT the sole reason that I purchased the car, otherwise I could have spent half the amount to buy a totally different car.

~ im2bz2p345
2 tone car in city traffic sorry thats not good for me, i mean to drive this big and heavy car in extreme traffic will remove all of the joy of the car from me, the thing which i am trying to say is if you compare lexus gs350 without hybrid 3.5 litre petrol engine and drive both 450h and 3.5 engines and cars in highway with approximately same speed 140km for example fuel ecomomy will be same if not extremely simular.. so absolutely no point of having the hybrid for car for highway , in regards of city driving options are log converted sedan cars or smaller because traffic is insane and you barely move... so far the best option for me, log is always costing 2 times less compared to the cheapest petrol, i have not seen difference in premium fuel in fuel consumption is the same... in regards of fast hybrid cars sedans infiniti q70/m. Consumes same or less amount of fuel faster than gs450h with 0.4 seconds or more... and the fastest hybrid which i have ever driven 4x4 and 4 wheel steering and torque vectoring acura rlx hybrid uses litium ion battery full led headlights 377hp not sure if in this number are included the 3 electric motors almost 1 second faster than gs Simular fuel economy
, all of these are luxury and premium. , the only drawback i see in them is lacking night vision
Old 05-23-22, 06:49 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

This person obviously did not research this car very well as he complains about everything on it, but loves to drive it 5 miles while he waits for parts to be shipped in to fix it. Like everyone has said, if you drive the car between 55 and 65, you should achieve the 34 or even better highway mileage. At least I do. If you go 80 plus, then you will not get the advertised mpg/lpg. You will get to your destination quicker, but use more gas. Regarding city, that is variable. I can get 26 or 31 depending on the traffic and lights. That is in eco mode running A/C and Seats if hot out. I don’t really see a difference in the Sport+ mode on mileage either, but have never tested it and compared.
The following users liked this post:
bloodbean (05-23-22)
Old 05-24-22, 03:23 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

2 tone car in city traffic sorry thats not good for me, i mean to drive this big and heavy car in extreme traffic will remove all of the joy of the car from me, the thing which i am trying to say is if you compare lexus gs350 without hybrid 3.5 litre petrol engine and drive both 450h and 3.5 engines and cars in highway with approximately same speed 140km for example fuel ecomomy will be same if not extremely simular.. so absolutely no point of having the hybrid for car for highway , in regards of city driving options are log converted sedan cars or smaller because traffic is insane and you barely move... so far the best option for me, log is always costing 2 times less compared to the cheapest petrol, i have not seen difference in premium fuel in fuel consumption is the same... in regards of fast hybrid cars sedans infiniti q70/m. Consumes same or less amount of fuel faster than gs450h with 0.4 seconds or more... and the fastest hybrid which i have ever driven 4x4 and 4 wheel steering and torque vectoring acura rlx hybrid uses litium ion battery full led headlights 377hp not sure if in this number are included the 3 electric motors almost 1 second faster than gs Simular fuel economy
, all of these are luxury and premium. , the only drawback i see in them is lacking night vision
So the 4th gen 350 shares an engine with the 450h?

No point and joy driving the big hybrid in city traffic, like it totally aint nimble as hell?

Ok ,ok.