Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

is the lexus extra care platinum worth it for NX350h?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22 | 09:44 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lsft
I personally have bought the ECP for 60 months / 100K and it includes the first 3 years of maintenance. This extends the 48 month warranty for another year. If you are leasing - don't bother. If you are financing and keeping the car, you can consider.
The tire insurance - I was told if you bought your winters at the dealership the tire insurance will also cover your winter tires. Any puncture or replacement, it will be covered.

As some say it's definitely your own preference.

3 years of maintenance includes: 3 times of Service #1, 2 times of Service #2, and 1 time of Service #3 (most expensive service). You need to keep in mind that Brake pads and wipers are NOT included in this maintenance.
how much did you pay for your ecp? did you negotiate for discount? but the dealers are sneaky and don't tell you the first oil change is free when they push the ecp ..and i think if you just go in for first oil change, they may charge you if you don't remind them it's free
Old 06-07-22 | 10:48 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

Originally Posted by nitrolada
It includes 6 services (excluding personalization which is free).... First real service (8000 km) is also free anyways...so you are getting 5 oil changes including two brake service and one brake fluid change for the whatever they want for it .

So to me the value is roughly below (I've added 15% above what I pay for my RX at my mechanic as my shop is pretty cheap) but prices will be same for NX

5 synthetic oil changes @ 70 = $350 cdn
2 brake service @ 120 = $240 cdn
1 brake fluid @ 80 =$80 cdn

= $670cdn of pre paid service

You're prepaying for service basically plus for tire and rim protection I guess (I run way lower profile tires on my regular cars and never had a bent rim or blew a tire yet Touchwood!) My car comes with 1 year rim and wheel protection but I didn't want it... it just came free with the car since I never get wheel/tire protection especially since I have winter rims/tires anyways...which is same reason why I decline tire rotation for service

how much did you pay for it?
Where are you getting oil change for $70 cdn and brake service for $120 cdn plus fluid, as those prices sound VERY low to me based on what I have seen. Also, what TP do you use? Thanks...
The following users liked this post:
Kusala (06-07-22)
Old 06-07-22 | 11:31 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LiBeRtAs
Where are you getting oil change for $70 cdn and brake service for $120 cdn plus fluid, as those prices sound VERY low to me based on what I have seen. Also, what TP do you use? Thanks...
local mechanic off Bullock (igarage) .. but most places charge about same in the area (independent mechanics)

..I'm actually paying currently paying $65 for synthetic oil changes , $80 for brake fluid changes, $100 for brake service ..tax in for a 2019 RX (it's same price for wife's Mazda) but padded it a bit already to my prices since it is low..but average for many shops around there
I was paying $60 for synthetic oil changes from like 2015-2021 lol only last year or so he raised prices finally.... biggest increase is actually tire/rim swap...it was like $25 for 18" two years ago and now it's $35

And what's TP sorry? Tire protection? It's "included" as part of the "protection package " which includes the antitheft add on the dealer includes for $847 that's not removable (but can get discount to offset it lol)

Last edited by nitrolada; 06-07-22 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-07-22 | 11:36 AM
LiBeRtAs
Advanced

local mechanic off Bullock (igarage) .. but most places charge about same in the area (independent mechanics)

..I'm actually paying currently paying $65 for synthetic oil changes , $80 for brake fluid changes, $100 for brake service ..tax in for a 2019 RX (it's same price for wife's Mazda) but padded it a bit already to my prices since it is low..but average for many shops around there

And what's TP sorry?

You mentioned you used low tire pressures and I wondered what you use and why, I know the lower tire pressure helps with handling up to a point.

As to those prices, those are pretty good, I have a local, independently owned, Toyota/Lexus shop that I will use sometimes but their prices are pretty close to what Lexus charges.
Old 06-07-22 | 12:58 PM
Kusala
Pit Crew

There's also the extra KM in coverage. Anyway, whatever decision folks make is the right decision for them.

It includes 6 services (excluding personalization which is free).... First real service (8000 km) is also free anyways...so you are getting 5 oil changes including two brake service and one brake fluid change for the whatever they want for it .

So to me the value is roughly below (I've added 15% above what I pay for my RX at my mechanic as my shop is pretty cheap) but prices will be same for NX

5 synthetic oil changes @ 70 = $350 cdn
2 brake service @ 120 = $240 cdn
1 brake fluid @ 80 =$80 cdn

= $670cdn of pre paid service

You're prepaying for service basically plus for tire and rim protection I guess (I run way lower profile tires on my regular cars and never had a bent rim or blew a tire yet Touchwood!) My car comes with 1 year rim and wheel protection but I didn't want it... it just came free with the car since I never get wheel/tire protection especially since I have winter rims/tires anyways...which is same reason why I decline tire rotation for service

how much did you pay for it?
Old 06-07-22 | 08:00 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kusala
There's also the extra KM in coverage. Anyway, whatever decision folks make is the right decision for them.
Provided they had all the relevant information to make an informed decision, yes. I just wanted to point out they don't tell you first oil change is free anyways, and imo important to understand exactly what/how many service is included and how I evaluated the value of the ecp based on value of the prepaid maintenance (and that you can get 4% interest on a 3 year gic nowadays..so I would include that as well in my calculations lol)

4% @$3000 = $120 interest a year or $360 over 3 years ..granted if not in a tax sheltered account.. there'll be tax on that whereas ecp is after tax money

Last edited by nitrolada; 06-07-22 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-08-22 | 09:11 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

In the end folks make the right decisions for themselves. 😎
Old 06-08-22 | 11:36 AM
lsft
Racer

how much did you pay for your ecp? did you negotiate for discount? but the dealers are sneaky and don't tell you the first oil change is free when they push the ecp ..and i think if you just go in for first oil change, they may charge you if you don't remind them it's free
On my previous 2018 NX, I did get $1000 discount on the ECP and if you are leasing your vehicle you paying 55% of the remainder after 48 months. However, this new one, there is no room for any discounts - no mark ups is already a plus.

Based on my previous 2018, Service #3 costed about $420, Service #2 is about $225 and Service #1 is $95. For the NX450h+, I can only see the service going higher as the hourly rate is going to go up and cost of everything has gone up. I have 5 years 100k ECP so at least during my financing timeframe, I do not have to worry about additional cost as it's all in the financing deal. Just a peace of mind.

It's all personal preferences. If you bring your NX to another shop outside of the dealership, definitely it will be cheaper. You can even do your own oil changes to save money, but then why not go buy a RAV4 then? You save more money upfront.
The following users liked this post:
Kusala (06-09-22)
Old 06-08-22 | 01:17 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lsft
On my previous 2018 NX, I did get $1000 discount on the ECP and if you are leasing your vehicle you paying 55% of the remainder after 48 months. However, this new one, there is no room for any discounts - no mark ups is already a plus.

Based on my previous 2018, Service #3 costed about $420, Service #2 is about $225 and Service #1 is $95. For the NX450h+, I can only see the service going higher as the hourly rate is going to go up and cost of everything has gone up. I have 5 years 100k ECP so at least during my financing timeframe, I do not have to worry about additional cost as it's all in the financing deal. Just a peace of mind.

It's all personal preferences. If you bring your NX to another shop outside of the dealership, definitely it will be cheaper. You can even do your own oil changes to save money, but then why not go buy a RAV4 then? You save more money upfront.
I don't goto Lexus for maintenance because I don't want their interns working on my car even for oil change and charging me more for it. And the 4yr ecp is basically just prepaid maintenance but maintenance on Lexus is so cheap as per your prices .. it's not a Audi or MB where an oil change (basically Lexus service 1) is like 800 and it's not much cheaper going to special German independent places (though they will have better techs then the interns at dealers)

As for RAV4? That's a different car ? This is servicing.. Lexus is just a Toyota and you can even goto the Toyota dealership as parts are interchangeable for maintenance. Kinda like getting the ****ty dyed tint from dealer for like $350 for fronts when I get much higher quality xpel ceramic tints for $170

the 5yr ecp makes sense in that you're getting it for the warranty, my comments relate to getting it just for 5 services which are just oil changes plus one brake fluid change as the tire rotation are useless since I have winters
But you can definitely get discount on ecp still...just how much... you can get ecp from any dealer . My dealer offered me like 500 off the 4yr ecp but I declined since it's just prepaid maintenance since warranty is 4 yrs already.

But surprised your dealer didn't offer you discount on ecp...I guess cause they knew you'll buy it anyways? You can get the ecp from any other dealer and there's no supply chain issues with ecp haha

Last edited by nitrolada; 06-08-22 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-09-22 | 08:28 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Your experience sounds different. My Mercedes dealership did not use interns...and I drove AMG's. I suspect if Lexus use an intern it may be on an oil change. I don't see a problem.

Combined with the discount I received, the likelihood of shop rates increasing, extra KM's in coverage (+tires) and the convenience it was worth the extra couple of hundred for me (which if rates increase becomes a possible savings). I also like the coffee haha.

Last edited by Kusala; 06-09-22 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-19-22 | 11:53 PM
albundy999
Pit Crew

So, there is no discount on ECP at all for NX line in Canada as LSFT mentioned. Then, there's really no incentive to buy ECP unless you are buying for just the warranty after the four years as nitrolada said.

Why not skip the ECP and go for RDP (Road Hazard Protection)?

You can get 7 years of RDP for $1199 CAD + taxes which will replace (I heard they don't bother to repair despite RDP mentioned the repair) the run-flat tire when it is punctured? If you replace three tires over the 7 years period, you already get your money back.

There is a lifetime limit of $7500 which I can't confirm on Lexus site below. Maybe someone can confirm that.
Lexus_ECP-Tire_TearSheet.indd

Last edited by albundy999; 11-20-22 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-20-22 | 06:01 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Traveled many miles while working and have driven well over a million miles. Never replaced a tire for anything other than for wear. Never replaced a wheel. Maintenace for 30,000 miles cost me less than $500 at the Lexus dealeraship. On our sixth Lexus and never had anything done except routine maintenance. I pass on all these add ons.

If I had a Mercedes or Audi or BMW would no hesitate to buy the extended warrenty. With this record I pass but to each their own.

2022 Consumer Reports had Lexus #1 and 2023 just released #2 replaced by their cousin Toyota who was #3 in 2022. J D Power has Lexus #1 in dependability over the last 13 years nine times, # 2 twice, #4 once and #6 once. No other manufacturer has come close to this consistency for reliability.
2010 #4
2011 #2
2012 #1
2013 #1
2014 #1
2015 #1
2016 #1
2017 #1
2018 #1
2019 #1
2020 #2
2021 #1
2022 #6
Old 11-20-22 | 06:34 AM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
Traveled many miles while working and have driven well over a million miles. Never replaced a tire for anything other than for wear. Never replaced a wheel.
How is it possible that you did not replace the tire for the lifetime of your vehicle? Maybe you sold it after five years? I can see you maybe lucky not to hit a nail or hit one that doesn’t puncture the tire.
Old 11-20-22 | 07:50 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by albundy999
How is it possible that you did not replace the tire for the lifetime of your vehicle? Maybe you sold it after five years? I can see you maybe lucky not to hit a nail or hit one that doesn’t puncture the tire.
Reread said never replaced a tire for anything other than wear.
Old 11-20-22 | 09:22 AM
albundy999
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
Reread said never replaced a tire for anything other than wear.
Got you, I guess you are one of the lucky ones that do not run over nails during the lifespan of a normal wear.

Quick Reply: is the lexus extra care platinum worth it for NX350h?