Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

CVT downshift

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 03:24 PM
JGB93
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default CVT downshift

Anyone cvt "downshift" while everyday driving?

Been driving this car for 2 years now and realized yesterday the owners manual says downshifting is for extra deccaleration/acceleration.

Tried this during city driving the past few days and my gas mileage has gotten a lot better. As if it enhances the regen braking. (I don't know if it does but sure as hell feels like it- correct me if you have a definite answer, i aware the engine braking also adds stopping force)
But i went from ~12km/L to over 14km/L. Never had it that high before on my regular route. Few hills in my area. Nothing crazy.

I use the paddle shifters when slowing down to lights or traffic, Gradually clicking them as more braking force is needed. And then hold the upshift to go back to auto. Only use the brakes for the final stop.

Before I hear "iTs BaD fOr TrAnsMisSion"
Look into the design of gs/prius/rx cvt.
It's not even a real cvt running on a belt(which can wear out). It's a planetary gear set, that's held or advanced using the MG motors for diffrent output ratios.
****in brilliant, one of the most robust transmission set ups imo. Japs know wtf is going on🍻

I was initially disappointed selling my audi s4 for this. But the more I learn about it the more I appreciate what it was designed to do.

Realistically it might accelerate the degradation of the battery as you're charging and discharging it more frequently. But I'm more than prepared to replace when the time comes
Old 06-15-22, 03:32 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

Using the paddle shifters (keeping the car in S-mode) forces the engine to not turn off. Not sure if this is what you want?

I don't think that you can "force" the MG2 gearbox to downshift - if anything, holding it in S-mode makes it hold high gear below the normal "speed too low" threshold (~45kph with the 3.769 diff, should be ~55-ish with what you have).

Best gas mileage comes from not having to use brakes/regen at all. Next best is using regen, after that it's engine braking (since you still regen a bit) and finally there are the brakes. If you can't get by with only regen (excluding low speeds where regen simply doesn't work), you're approaching stops too fast for economy. Accelerating briskly is not an issue - BSFC isn't "optimal" with very low loads (say, sub-15kw).
Old 06-15-22, 04:04 PM
JGB93
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Using the paddle shifters (keeping the car in S-mode) forces the engine to not turn off. Not sure if this is what you want?
Down shift using the paddles and Just before coming to a full stop, hold the upshift paddle, it changes from manual back to automatic and the engine shuts off. I accelerate auto. Gear shift stays in D the whole time
But youre right, it does not shut off in manual mode (Either paddle or gear shift S)

[QUOTE] don't think that you can "force" the MG2 gearbox to downshift - if anything, holding it in S-mode makes it hold high gear below the normal "speed too low" threshold (~45kph with the 3.769 diff, should be ~55-ish with what you have).[QUOTE]

I don't know which MG motor does what, but il take your word it, cheers 🍻

[QUOTE] Best gas mileage comes from not having to use brakes/regen at all. Next best is using regen, after that it's engine braking (since you still regen a bit) and finally there are the brakes. If you can't get by with only regen (excluding low speeds where regen simply doesn't work), you're approaching stops too fast for economy. Accelerating briskly is not an issue - BSFC isn't "optimal" with very low loads (say, sub-15kw) [QUOTE]

Totally agree, steady driving without braking results in the best fuel mileage. Just saying iv been on the same route for a little while, part city/hwy. generally an economic driving style. and only the last 2 days using the down shift for slowing down/stopping have I reached a new personal best on fuel mileage.
idk the real science behind it, but it's what's goin on.

Last edited by JGB93; 06-15-22 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-15-22, 04:17 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

MG2 has a 2-speed auto linking it to the output shaft - unique feature of the L110 transmission (3rd/4th gen gs450h, ls600h).
Old 06-15-22, 05:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

@JGB93 - I'll often downshift using the down-paddle shifter when coming up on a turn or when coming up on a stop. And if I don't come to a complete stop where the eCVT automatically goes back to D - I'll usually upshift back to D by using the up-paddle shifter. I find the braking proficiency using the GS 450h's eCVT transmission strikingly smooth, solidly sufficient and exceptionally 'engaging' (excuse the pun)!

I seldom downshift using the gear shifter to go into S-mode - I just don't normally want to hold a particular gear or have to manually upshift.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-15-22 at 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-15-22, 07:18 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Same here on the downshifting coming to stop lights. It is fun to see all the cars in front of me with their brake lights on to slow them down, and I am basically coasting and downshifting. Usually to only D3 though from D. Guess the people behind me must hate me cause I don’t hit the brakes and thus the brake lights until the end when I need to completely stop. Where I live in Orlando Florida, my commute is just light after light, so no use speeding from a stop, just to brake hard at the next light. Have learned to just drive leisurely like the tortoise did to get to the same spot as the hare…..
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (06-15-22)
Old 06-22-22, 09:08 PM
JGB93
Rookie

Think i figured why downshift braking seems to improve mileage

When doing 40-45mph(60-70kph) and you press the brake pedal. It uses partial regen initially, then part brake pads (lets say 60%regen/40%brake-) to slow down.
There's a pre programmed balance between how much of each slowing force is used, depending how hard u press the brake.

However when you downshift, it will start using your regen, and then when you hit the brake pedal, it maxes out the regen capability(gaining highest possible charge) with very little brake pedal travel.
So your total stopping force consists of ~80%regen/20%brake pads.

Test it yourself by going down a hill using your brakes only.
And again while downshifting and a light press of the pedal. Watching your regen tachometer on both runs.
Note how high you can get your regen with little brake pedal travel. Saving your brakes and gaining the most charge.

Just an theory, those numbers are not accurate, just trying to portray what feels to be happening.
Aswell battery looks to be on the higher end of charge more often.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (06-22-22)