Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

450H 12v battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 04:07 AM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Base 450h+. Feb 2022 delivery. 5000 km. 3.3 km trip to groceries. Work from home. No digital key. Upgraded 12v aftermarket battery. No problems.
Old 09-16-22, 09:29 AM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Your 15 minute drive will charge the battery up. Do you have the digital key?
Have the feature, but don't use it. Just the fobs.

Why oh why does Toyota resist Apple so hard. Supporting this would solve the phone battery, Bluetooth flakiness problems and MAYBE some of the car battery drain issues (yes, it would not help Android users...): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234
Old 09-16-22, 09:37 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Only BMW has digital car key support.

Originally Posted by mbezzo
Have the feature, but don't use it. Just the fobs.

Why oh why does Toyota resist Apple so hard. Supporting this would solve the phone battery, Bluetooth flakiness problems and MAYBE some of the car battery drain issues (yes, it would not help Android users...): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234
Old 09-16-22, 09:40 AM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

Genesis and Kia have now joined BMW: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

Old 09-16-22, 09:48 AM
Kusala
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Excellent. The auto manufacturers don't know what they don't know.

It's just a matter of time before user profiles are stored on phones and ported to whatever car you get into.
Old 09-16-22, 10:06 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Just a point I wanted to add.... There are two battery systems in a 450. One is a traditional 12V with the battery located in the trunk and the other is the 18 amp power plant for movement located in the floor and rear.

In terms of the 12V there should be no difference between the 450 and the other NXs. If anyone has a drain so severe that the battery is dead after several days I suggest taking it to the dealership ASAP and ask where is the drain. They can check at test points the drain load to determine what is using the power. The battery could be bad - but I doubt it, Toyota uses good suppliers. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a setting in a component or in the software that is keeping the car "operational" in way that is consuming power, which should be expected in a brand new model revision.

I nightly lock my 450 and remove the key and fold the mirrors and I have had it since Jan, in all sorts of weather and have left it alone for up to three weeks and never had any battery warnings or drain. But each time I lock the car, fold the mirrors and I don't check the app. I am mentioning this because maybe leaving a car unloaded or a key inside causes something a designer or engineer didn't think of.

I personally would find it unacceptable for a car to need to be plugged in for the 12V each night.
Old 09-16-22, 01:13 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mbezzo
Why oh why does Toyota resist Apple so hard.
Big data.

There is giant money, influence and control in data.
The big data companies can be difficult to work with once they are in your business.
I work in software and I'd be uncomfortable if I were any large manufacturer. Don't think they have much choice though.

Last edited by scooky; 09-16-22 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kusala (09-16-22)
Old 10-05-22, 09:04 AM
emhubb3
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t know if this will help anyone in this thread, but I have had my NX 450h+ since July and the battery has completely drained twice. Leaving it parked 2.5 days would cause the battery to die.

After a lot of investigation, I found the culprit. As part of my purchase, the dealer required I purchase accessories (it was a bs “instead of a market rate adjustment” deal) one of those accessories was an aftermarket dashcam (FineVu GX300) it turns out the dashcam was essentially not fully turning off (even though it was set to turn off x hours after being parked) and was consistently draining the battery. (The dashcam records the current voltage on the footage so looking at the clips I could watch the battery drain)

I took it back to the dealer that installed it and they said the dashcam was faulty and replaced it with a new one (same model) and replaced my 12v battery as it was now testing bad.

Hopefully this issue is resolved. I have left my car parked at my house for 24 hrs so far and will check the voltage later this afternoon to see if this new camera is draining as well. Wish me luck!
lsft (10-05-22)
Old 10-05-22, 05:21 PM
mbezzo
Pit Crew

I think this is actually a great thing to point out! With all the dealer add-on BS happening these days, it’s entirely possible that one of them was poorly installed and/or faulty - definitely worth taking a look at if your vehicle had any extras installed by the dealership that are not original equipment!

Good luck!
nx450plus (10-05-22)
Old 10-10-22, 02:59 PM
LexES300h
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They finally sorted mine out. They said something was missing from the puddle lamp in the trunk, causing it to overdraw power from the 12V battery. Unfortunately, the battery had to be replaced it was testing bad. I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket since it was all covered under warranty.

I got to drive a UX loaner and IS350F. Man, that IS is so nice; keeping an eye out for that fully electric IS.

Old 10-11-22, 07:48 PM
CdO
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexES300h
They finally sorted mine out. They said something was missing from the puddle lamp in the trunk, causing it to overdraw power from the 12V battery...
Interesting. I finally got mine. Port upgraded rear puddle lamp doesn't work (nor the interior cargo lamps).

I was setting up the Mrs profile on ACC; timed out; turned ignition on; got a message "parking brake unavailable, see dealer." Then, weird things started happening... "12V" system dropped to ~7V. Everything stopped working. Tried charging (V so low my 4A charger defaulted to 6V battery), tried "jumping". Sounded like something was still drawing power... heard a buzzing near the top passenger side of the ICE in the area of the VVT.

Called dealer; they said call roadside to bring it in (from my garage). Driver's jumper was able to wake it up enough to drive it on the truck. Haven't heard back.
Old 10-13-22, 10:39 AM
Dominic11
1st Gear

Default Dead 12v on 2month old NX450h

Originally Posted by englandsf
Anyone else having issues of total 12v power loss on PHEV? Happened twice, first time dealer tested and recharged and fixed for a couple of days. Now waiting on new battery (very rare).

Could it be using just EV most of the time or accessing to car online too often on multiple devices or what?
Hi,
I have a 450H that was delivered to me about 2months ago and 5k on the odo. 2days ago i could not enter my car due to dead 12v. Yesterday dealership charged the battery and said i should buy a trickle charger for 175$ which i find a little absurde considering I just dropped 90k on the car 2 months ago. Lexus should really hire some electrical engineers to build in a trickle charger that charges off the main hybrid battery.
Old 10-16-22, 11:05 AM
GNA
3rd Gear

I have had my NX450H+ since March and installed a “Thinkware dash camera” right away…

.I too experienced a low 12 volt battery after not driving the car for 3-4 days and suspect the dash camera draining the battery. I will be disconnecting the “park mode” on my dash camera.

my issue was with the dealer who misinformed me on how the 12 volt battery charges. They told me the 12 volt battery does not charge when plugged into the level 2 charger or when in full EV drive mode.

Both dealer statements are wrong…. the 12 volt battery most definitely charges when the EVdrive battery is charging or when driving in full EV mode…I had to research the RAVE 4 Prime forum to get this information ( note: Rave 4 Prime is the me running gear as the Lexus 450H +)

I definitely will be adding a trickle charger for longer dormant periods of non driving..
Old 10-16-22, 11:06 AM
GNA
3rd Gear

I agree…seems ridiculous
Old 10-16-22, 11:11 AM
GNA
3rd Gear

I experienced the exact same problem…when 12 volt battery dies the 450 H + goes bezerk…
could not enter my car even with the manual key inserted into the door….real poor design
had to call roadside assist even though it was in my garage at home….we were finally able to open doors and jump the 12 volt battery.
once we were able to get a ready light I had a check engine alarm and told to take it to dealer ASAP.
dealer confirmed low voltage caused the issue….

Quick Reply: 450H 12v battery issues