Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

Someone please enlighten me on how this took place!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-22, 05:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Exclamation Someone please enlighten me on how this took place!

What are the parameters of when the GS 450h's traction battery can power the motor-generator MG2 alone for an extended range and time (without using the ICE) to:

• Power the vehicle with light throttle being applied to sustain a speed of >35 mph (not accelerating nor coasting) on flat ground for a distance of a mile or more with the traction battery charge level remaining at 6-7 bars the entire time.
  • With only a blue motion arrow coming from the traction battery icon up to the electric motor icon on the instrument cluster, indicating the car is being powered solely by the traction battery and electric motor.
  • With the gauge needle at 2-3 marks 'above' the neutral mark between 'CHARGE' & 'ECO' on the instrument cluster gauge, indicating light throttle is being applied.

Note: I do not recall ever seeing a blue motion arrow coming down from the motor-generator icon to the traction battery icon - yet the traction battery charge level remained at 6-7 bars the entire travel time as if the battery/motor-generator system process was inherently or naturally perpetual (which I know that 100% efficiency is simply not possible). Maybe Elon will find a way to make that happen!

I'm at a complete loss to figure out what I experienced!

Last edited by bclexus; 07-25-22 at 09:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-11-22, 06:23 PM
ratobuza
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default EV mode @ over 35-40mph

Originally Posted by bclexus

What are the parameters of when the GS 450h's traction battery can power the motor-generator MG2 alone for an extended range and time (without using the ICE) to:
  • Power the vehicle with light throttle being applied to sustain a speed of >35 mph (not accelerating nor coasting) on flat ground for a distance of a mile or more with the traction battery charge level remaining at 6-7 bars the entire time.
  • With only a blue motion arrow coming from the traction battery icon up to the electric motor icon on the instrument cluster, indicating the car is being powered solely by the traction battery and electric motor.
  • With the gauge needle at 2-3 marks 'above' the neutral mark between 'CHARGE' & 'ECO' on the instrument cluster gauge, indicating light throttle is being applied.

Note: I do not recall ever seeing a blue motion arrow coming down from the motor-generator icon to the traction battery icon - yet the traction battery charge level remained at 6-7 bars the entire travel time as if the battery/motor-generator system process was inherently or naturally perpetual (which I know that 100% efficiency is simply not possible). Maybe Elon will find a way to make that happen!

I'm at a complete loss to figure out what I experienced!

I've seen this very rarely and at some point able to capture it on video - same behavior going way over 35mph (like 55-60) on flat terrain and went on for a good minute - see this video https://photos.app.goo.gl/rhvQ9iNJa5QTiwUp8

Last edited by ratobuza; 08-11-22 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 06:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by ratobuza
I've seen this very rarely and at some point able to capture it on video - same behavior going way over 35mph (like 55-60) on flat terrain and went on for a good minute - see this video https://photos.app.goo.gl/rhvQ9iNJa5QTiwUp8
@ratobuza - Yes, Exactly! Thank you!

I guess you're like me and can't explain what the parameters are for when the GS 450h's traction battery can power the motor-generator MG2 alone for an extended range and time (in my case for a distance of more than a mile at 45-55mph with the traction battery charge level remaining at 6-7 bars the entire time and without using the ICE. But, we both know it can happen!

Last edited by bclexus; 08-11-22 at 06:57 PM. Reason: grammar