Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Brand new NX450H dented before delivery. Repair question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-22, 08:15 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

OP, what color is your new NX?
Old 07-27-22, 08:35 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Exclamation repainting absolutely lowers a car's vale

Originally Posted by midcow3
Your car has lost value, When you got to sell it your bumper repaint will lower your car's value.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Originally Posted by nitrolada

No it won't ..it's not an insurance claim and it's not some exotic. Even factory paint... if you measure it, the paint thickness is not uniform
It absolutely will lower your car value. One key thing any professional car buyer does is to look for any repaint. Repaint typically means there was some sort of damage that had to be corrected and repainted. Not all car repairs go through insurance and not all show up on Car-Fax.

OP, ask for a new car that doesn't have any damage.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 07-27-22, 09:38 AM
oldtripper
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SenorValas
I agree that sourcing a new bumper and painting it in a day is a little optimistic given the global parts shortages and the fact that you can't rush paint jobs. Is it possible that there is some other reason that the car wasn't ready for you when you started out on your long journey to collect it and that the supposed damaged bumper was just a ruse to stall you for a day? Maybe the car hadn't yet arrived at the dealership or they hadn't managed to do the pre-delivery checks in time. If I was you I would ask the dealership to send you a photo of the damage just to call their bluff (hopefully that won't force them to put a dent in it just to cover their you-know-what ).
They took a pic of it with the bumper cover removed. I can't imagine them telling me it was damaged vs delayed. Especially when calling the morning of. I told them I wasn't in a hurry.
The following users liked this post:
SenorValas (07-27-22)
Old 07-27-22, 09:39 AM
oldtripper
Rookie

It absolutely will lower your car value. One key thing any professional car buyer does is to look for any repaint. Repaint typically means there was some sort of damage that had to be corrected and repainted. Not all car repairs go through insurance and not all show up on Car-Fax.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Well it's this car or none considering they've only gotten 2 plug ins total and the tax credit gets cut soon.
Old 07-27-22, 09:40 AM
oldtripper
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX469
OP, what color is your new NX?
Obsidian black
Old 07-27-22, 09:45 AM
oldtripper
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
As others have pointed out, damage to vehicles during transport happens more often than most would think. If you have been buying cars for 20 or 30 or more years, the odds are that you have bought at least one car that has had paint work done to repair transport damage and that you never even knew that that was the case.

In the OPs situation, whether or not I was okay with having the bumper replaced might depend on the color of the vehicle. With some colors, getting a satisfactory color match on the new bumper should not be a problem. However, with some colors, getting a satisfactory color match would be very difficult and, perhaps, unlikely. Colors like the pearl whites are multi-stage paint finishes, and matching new paint to get a satisfactory color match often requires blending the new paint into adjacent panels, which, in this case, the dealer is unlikely to want to do. There are other colors, like the atomic silver, are even 4 or 5 stage pearl colors, and getting a satisfactory color match can be close to impossible. Even if paint is blended into adjacent panels, doing so won't make the color match any better, but it will just spread out the mismatch over a larger area and make it less noticeable.

So, if I was buying the car, whether or not I was okay with the replaced bumper might depend on what the color of the vehicle is and whether it was a difficult or easy color to match.
It's obsidian black. I need to get them to tell the whole story of how they're getting the bumper and if they're painting it. May need to talk to service since the salesman doesn't seem like he knows what's happening.
Old 07-27-22, 09:48 AM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

YMMV,
MidCow3
It's a Lexus NX, not a McLaren...won't have effect in resale from a repainted bumper
panels are repainted all the time ... sometimes at factory because it was damaged before even being shipped, often at ports and sometimes from port to dealer
it's no different than repairing a rim..does that affect value in your mind?

Even from factory, paint depths are different between panels and cars !

Last edited by nitrolada; 07-27-22 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-27-22, 09:52 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Some out there takes in this thread. Of course a repainted panel will affect resale I just helped a friend buy a used car (3 years old) it had previous damage. Guess what, seller fully disclosed the repair and yes it affected the price, guess in what direction.
Old 07-27-22, 10:55 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtripper
Obsidian black
Well, the good news is that, if the car is obsidian black, that would eliminate the concerns that I had about matching the color. Non-metallic blacks are about the only of today's auto colors for which getting a virtually perfect color match while doing a panel-to-panel paint job should be very easy for any paint technician with decent skills.

I will admit to being more than a bit OCD about the fits and finishes of my cars. For that reason, I've had several non-metallic black cars, and when they needed paint work, whether major collision repairs or minor touch-ups, getting virtually perfect and undetectable repairs was a simple job.

Also, if there is any chance that they took a bumper off of another NX and installed it on this car, I would not be concerned about a color match if the color is the obsidian. Obsidian might be the only color for which I would not be concerned about a color mismatch if a bumper was taken from one car and installed on another car. I still would want to examine the installation carefully to make sure that there had not been any damage to the bumper brackets or bumper clips that would have made the fit of the bumper less than perfect.

Last edited by lesz; 07-27-22 at 12:54 PM.
oldtripper (07-27-22)
Old 07-27-22, 12:24 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrolada
...about a quarter of cars have some damage from delivery according to people working in dealerships... just majority of customers don't know about it
I find that very hard to believe especially for cars going from factory to dealer. Between dealers it's a lot more plausible.
Old 07-27-22, 12:29 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Question corrupt data source ?

Originally Posted by anoop
I find that very hard to believe especially for cars going from factory to dealer. Between dealers, it's a lot more plausible.
Data source and information do not seem plausible

grain of salt

YMMV,
MidCow3

Old 07-27-22, 01:00 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by anoop
I find that very hard to believe especially for cars going from factory to dealer. Between dealers it's a lot more plausible.
I have no idea what fraction of new vehicles have transport damage, but I do know that there are a lot more vehicles than most would guess that need paint repairs because of transport damage or because of damage that occurred while they are on dealer lots.

As I said in a previous most, for those who have been buying vehicles for a couple of decades or more, there is a very good chance that we have bought at least one car that has had such paint work done and we never were aware of that being the case.
Old 07-28-22, 04:26 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
Well, the good news is that, if the car is obsidian black, that would eliminate the concerns that I had about matching the color. Non-metallic blacks are about the only of today's auto colors for which getting a virtually perfect color match while doing a panel-to-panel paint job should be very easy for any paint technician with decent skills.

I will admit to being more than a bit OCD about the fits and finishes of my cars. For that reason, I've had several non-metallic black cars, and when they needed paint work, whether major collision repairs or minor touch-ups, getting virtually perfect and undetectable repairs was a simple job.

Also, if there is any chance that they took a bumper off of another NX and installed it on this car, I would not be concerned about a color match if the color is the obsidian. Obsidian might be the only color for which I would not be concerned about a color mismatch if a bumper was taken from one car and installed on another car. I still would want to examine the installation carefully to make sure that there had not been any damage to the bumper brackets or bumper clips that would have made the fit of the bumper less than perfect.
Got an update. They pulled a bumper from another NX but the clips or something were different from the 450H bumper so they will have to order a bumper and paint it using PPG paint (I don't know anything about that brand). Kind of surprised they were able to get an OEM bumper within a few days. I have to think about whether to proceed with buying or not.
Old 07-28-22, 05:55 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldtripper
Got an update. They pulled a bumper from another NX but the clips or something were different from the 450H bumper so they will have to order a bumper and paint it using PPG paint (I don't know anything about that brand). Kind of surprised they were able to get an OEM bumper within a few days. I have to think about whether to proceed with buying or not.
I'm very confident that, with the obsidian color, they can match the color of the bumper perfectly. If it was me, I'd probably ask to inspect the car after the new bumper was installed. Besides checking the color, which should be fine, I would also check to see if the amount of orange peel on the bumper paint is similar to that on the rest of the car. I'd also check to see that the new bumper fits the way it should. The gaps between the bumper and the adjacent panels should be uniform, and they should be consistent in size to those on the rest of the car.

If everything checks out okay, I'd also ask them for some sort of discount to compensate you for your inconvenience. My guess is that they will not be likely to comply with that request because, if you don't buy the car, they will likely not have any trouble selling it quickly to someone else, and the new buyer will probably have no idea that the bumper was replaced and will be happy to have been able to buy the car.

Good luck.
oldtripper (07-28-22)
Old 07-28-22, 07:00 PM
jardlr
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

If it were me, I would ask for some accessories to be added including the rear bumper protector. Of course, my final acceptance would be based on a careful inspection of the paint job. From my experience with new cars, a fair number of them are damaged in transport.

The problem is the dealer is likely on the hook for the damage if they didn't claim it immediately when it was unloaded off of the truck, so the repair and any concessions they make are probably out of their profit. If the shipper or their insurance was paying, they might be more agreeable to some add-ons or discounts.

Good luck!
oldtripper (07-28-22)

Quick Reply: Brand new NX450H dented before delivery. Repair question.