Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Brand new NX450H dented before delivery. Repair question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 08:13 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

I get your point on the tax credit, but try and see if you can stall until Friday when the house will vote on the updated tax credits. It already passed the senate, and the House votes on Friday. If it passes, I believe the credit might even be better. The thing is that who knows when it will actually be implemented.
Old 08-09-22, 08:20 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
The trapezoid cannot be removed. It is stamped into the metal. The nubs that you see in the angled picture are the foam pads for the license plate. You can see that in the part diagram I posted.
So either there was a dent on the lift gate or not and if there was, they probably did paintless dent repair on it? I guess I'll just have to examine it and press them on it. The additional pictures I posted doesn't look like there was a crease and the salesman denies there was one. However, I wasn't thinking and just realized that the invoice mentioned the license plate area.

They are taking $500 off for my inconvenience. It isn't much the more you think about it though.
Old 08-09-22, 08:22 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

I get your point on the tax credit, but try and see if you can stall until Friday when the house will vote on the updated tax credits. It already passed the senate, and the House votes on Friday. If it passes, I believe the credit might even be better. The thing is that who knows when it will actually be implemented.
The discussions and articles I read say the tax credit actually goes away all together once the President signs because the car isn't made in North America and the part about final assembly kicks in once the bill is signed. Even if it isn't the next allocated car probably won't arrive until after 9/30.
Old 08-09-22, 08:23 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by oldtripper
So either there was a dent on the lift gate or not and if there was, they probably did paintless dent repair on it? I guess I'll just have to examine it and press them on it. The additional pictures I posted doesn't look like there was a crease and the salesman denies there was one. However, I wasn't thinking and just realized that the invoice mentioned the license plate area.

They are taking $500 off for my inconvenience. It isn't much the more you think about it though.
If you're convinced on taking the car, do the drive. The worst that can happen is that you find something not repaired properly and you drive back. Just know that you have to be thorough with inspecting that rear area and testing all functionality such as the blind spot, rear parking sensors, foot activated lift gate (if you have one), power life gate, and the overall fit and finish of everything. If it meets your criteria I would press for them to bump it to $1000 or $500 plus your choice of OEM accessories. They will likely go the accessory route since it costs them less than what it would cost you.
Old 08-09-22, 08:49 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

If you're convinced on taking the car, do the drive. The worst that can happen is that you find something not repaired properly and you drive back. Just know that you have to be thorough with inspecting that rear area and testing all functionality such as the blind spot, rear parking sensors, foot activated lift gate (if you have one), power life gate, and the overall fit and finish of everything. If it meets your criteria I would press for them to bump it to $1000 or $500 plus your choice of OEM accessories. They will likely go the accessory route since it costs them less than what it would cost you.
How much risk is there that there could be something wrong with the liftgate and alignment later on that I don't see now after doing those tests?
Old 08-09-22, 08:53 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

How much risk is there that there could be something wrong with the liftgate and alignment later on that I don't see now after doing those tests?

Also, with the crease being what we think it could be, surely the paintless dent repair couldn't have fixed that perfectly and I could tell, right?

Those safety and mechanical features would still be under warranty I imagine. I hope they are fully forthcoming when I'm in person and any "confusion" between service and sales gets cleared up. They seemed to be honest when they were telling me, we need to replace the bumper because it's a new car and it wouldn't be right to just repair it.

Last edited by oldtripper; 08-09-22 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 09:04 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Also, with the crease being what we think it could be, surely the paintless dent repair couldn't have fixed that perfectly and I could tell, right?
Truthfully, the only thing that could become an issue over time is the paint. But I will say this. I’m an architect and we regularly spec PPG paints because they are high quality. I’m sure their automotive grade is high quality as well. As far as the other issues, you will notice them right off the bat. They are not anything that will develop over time. I’ve seen my PDR guy work wonders so I wouldn’t be surprised if they got it out.
The following users liked this post:
oldtripper (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 09:10 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

Truthfully, the only thing that could become an issue over time is the paint. But I will say this. I’m an architect and we regularly spec PPG paints because they are high quality. I’m sure their automotive grade is high quality as well. As far as the other issues, you will notice them right off the bat. They are not anything that will develop over time. I’ve seen my PDR guy work wonders so I wouldn’t be surprised if they got it out.
Also if I miss something with the safety features or anything I can inspect, it'd still be under warranty.
Old 08-09-22, 09:10 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Make sure you get a printed version of that invoice and store it well. I highly doubt that Lexus will deny warranty claims for this issue, but it doesn’t hurt to have the documentation to back up that this was a delivery issue.
The following users liked this post:
oldtripper (08-09-22)
Old 08-09-22, 09:12 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Also if I miss something with the safety features or anything I can inspect, it'd still be under warranty.
It won’t. But then again do you want to be dealing with these things on a 60K brand new car? Just make sure to do due diligence before signing anything.
Old 08-09-22, 09:14 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

It won’t. But then again do you want to be dealing with these things on a 60K brand new car? Just make sure to do due diligence before signing anything.
Why wouldn't it be under warranty? I'll do my best to scrutinize and grill them, but I'm far from perfect. Just like how I now noticed the invoice mentioning the license plate area damage because either I glossed over it or I kept thinking license plate goes on the bumper like my sedan.
Old 08-09-22, 09:15 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Why wouldn't it be under warranty? I'll do my best to scrutinize and grill them, but I'm far from perfect. Also, I just now noticed the invoice mentioning the license plate area damage because either I glossed over it or I kept thinking license plate goes on the bumper like my sedan.
sorry i meant to say it won’t affect your warranty. My bad.
Old 08-09-22, 09:16 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

sorry i meant to say it won’t affect your warranty. My bad.
Whew. But you are right about preventing headaches later on. Wish me luck tomorrow and thanks for your and everyone else's help!
Old 08-09-22, 09:20 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Whew. But you are right about preventing headaches later on. Wish me luck tomorrow and thanks for your and everyone else's help!
Good luck! Please do keep us posted
Old 08-09-22, 09:40 PM
oldtripper
Rookie

Good luck! Please do keep us posted
For sure I will. Hopefully you'll be around online in case I have anything pressing that I could use some help on. I need to mention while talking to the service director about the damage that they're giving $500 off. I have to imagine he would be straight up with me as they would actually not want me to buy it as they could sell to the next person on the list without having to inform them of the repairs and not offer the discount.

Quick Reply: Brand new NX450H dented before delivery. Repair question.