Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Best trim level for NX350H?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 11:58 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by zanewyn
Most definitely! At first, I was willing to give up the 360 surround cam to save 4k, because that's the only feature that stood out to me. But your review on the 3b headlights sealed the deal
Most welcome! You won't regret it!

Originally Posted by CRC99
Thank you @Ihave1cat for your detailed review. Thats amazing!!! A few more questions if thats okay!
thx again
Of course!

Answers below!
When you talk about the pano roof blocking out heat do you mean without the shade being closed?
So that's just it - no, with the shade open! Seriously, I don't feel the heat coming from the sunroof with the shade open. Sure, it may get bright sometimes, but I don't feel the same burning heat that I did from my sunroof on my CR-V. I don't think they are using ceramic tinting (PS: If you want to get your front two windows tinted - I recommend (highly) getting ceramic ting.
Another benefit is that it makes the car's roof stand out. The big pane of glass on the roof is dark, and makes the roof contrast, especially with the White/Silver (Atomic Silver) colors.

I had the 360 view on a previous Pathfinder and liked it. I always thought it would be an advantage to be able to use it at very low speed when parking forwards. Any chance this is an option with the NX?
Yes! The NX has the option to either turn on the 360 camera automatically or with the "pano view button". It will do that at low speed, even at intersections - which allow you to take advantage of the FCTA (front, cross traffic alert - it tells you when there is traffic in front that's crossing)
I have mine set up to engage at low speed - which activates at speeds below 10kmph automatically (at least I think it's 10kmph). Really helps with pulling into spots (and the 360 view helps you see distance between the lines). When driving backwards, the forward camera switches to the reverse, but the 360 stays.
On models with the 14" screen without the 360 - you get only the reverse camera, which is in the center of the screen - flanked by black bars. Oh, the rear camera also has a washer - which helps immensely in the winter from clearing the salt/sleet.
That being said, it's not the "best" 360 camera. It's amazing when you're in motion - but when you are parked (and manually activate it) - it's kinda useless. Don't let that deter you though, it's amazing for 99% of things you would use it for. I don't see a need for it when you're parked - unless you want to see a "sphere around your car".

Not the best photo - but you can see me stopped at a red light, since I'm stopped (not parked) - means the speed is small (aka 0) - the 360 + forward-facing camera activates, and you can see the top-down view.
The distortion is because I was using the 0.5x magnification on my iPhone.

You can see the distance indicator as well - that shows distance to another vehicle (using the ultrasonic sensors)

Is the Lane Change Assist just a warning or does it actually move you back into your lane? What do you mean it will change lanes?
So exactly that - at highway speeds, you pull down on the turn stalk (either down or up - like signaling, but to the "one-touch" position - the one that will show the signal indicator 3 times and disengage, if that makes sense) - and hold for like 2 seconds. It will then, if safe, change the lane for you - as in turn the wheel to get you into the lane next to you (which you select by left or right signal). When it's changing lanes, you can release the turn signal indicator.
Why I say it's awkward, is that you're still holding the steering wheel, and the car moves the steering wheel while you're holding it - so it just doesn't feel natural. Plus it's slow. It's okay, I use it sometimes, but most of the time I change lanes myself. It also needs a LOT of room to deem a safe lane-change, so forget about doing it in Toronto, or any other city with a very congested highway route.

Did you get the side door guards. They look good on the website?
Yes - I did. While I can't say that they will protect the door in most circumstances, as car doors, including the Lexus, is oddly shaped, they do look good. Aside from my car, I have not seen a single other NX with them:

Did you get the hitch receiver. Does it interfere with the kick opener?
No - that's what I am planning to do next, but have not had the chance to do it yet. I don't think it would, as you can kick off to the side, not necessarily the center - so it should work.

I spend 1/2 the year in FL so I guess I can add the ATT service down there.
Maybe - I can't say for sure, as maybe it's locked by VIN. I haven't gone to the States with this car yet, so have not tried.

Hope that helps!
Any other questions, feel free to ask!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ihave1cat:
anoop (08-04-22), zanewyn (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22, 12:42 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 566 Likes on 375 Posts
Lightbulb I agree get everything if you can

Originally Posted by junbuginc
I purchased the 2022 NX350H Luxury package built in Japan for my wife. The MSRP US was $54,455.00. It has everything except for the triple-LED headlamps and Mark Leveson audio system. We thought the bi-LED headlamps were ok in the beginning but now we regret that we didn't get the triple-LED headlamps because they were so nice to have. Don't get offended by this but in my personal opinion that only applies to me is that when you are buying a car this luxury you should try to have everything on it instead missing some of the luxury options. If you are trying to save some money try to get a different car like a Toyota Venza or the RAV4. But in the end follow your heart and chose wisely. Although it may be hard try to get a test drive for them and see what you like. p.s The 14" screen is really nice.
I agree get everything if you can. But it looks like you are not completely following your own advice. The two options you are missing: ML and triple beam headlights, are two of the most desirable options. Lack of ML on the 450h+ is the primary reason I got a 350h instead of the 450h+.

But, I did follow the advice and got the 350h Luxury with everything except the power folding heated rear seats, which apparently is not being added to any 350hs only 450h+. My total MSRP was $56,265

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-04-22, 12:45 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by midcow3
I agree get everything if you can. But it looks like you are not completely following your own advice. The two options you are missing: ML and triple beam headlights, are two of the most desirable options. Lack of ML on the 450h+ is the primary reason I got a 350h instead of the 450h+.

But, I did follow the advice and got the 350h Luxury with everything except the power folding heated rear seats, which apparently is not being added to any 350hs only 450h+. My total MSRP was $56,265

YMMV,
MidCow3
...which is really odd - it must be an American thing. my 350h in Canada (Executive Trim) comes with heated power-folding rear seats...
Old 08-04-22, 01:01 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb power fold heated rear seats

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
...which is really odd - it must be an American thing. my 350h in Canada (Executive Trim) comes with heated power-folding rear seats...
@Ihave1cat you might be right a USA thing. I asked early on and they said I couldn't get that feature. I have since in the last months and months checked lots of NX builds and none had it. Where I live, in Texas, it is a moot point because we really don't get any winter and heated rear seats are not needed. But thaere are plenty of northern USA states that get cold winters and heated rear seats would ne useful. it is strange thought the RAV4 Hybrid does provide power fold and heated rear seats.

Take care and enjoy you NX.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-04-22, 01:12 PM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

IIHS seems to rate all of the 3 headlights the same at least in terms of safety -- G (good).
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...022#headlights

You guys want the triple beam mainly for looks?
Old 08-04-22, 01:31 PM
CRC99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again @Ihave1cat. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Seems I have 2 more weeks to wait.
Old 08-04-22, 01:36 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anoop
IIHS seems to rate all of the 3 headlights the same at least in terms of safety -- G (good).

Don't mean to be argumentative, but that's partially incorrect.
The IIHS rates the US model. There are 3 headlight options for the USA model:

Option 1: Triple-beam LED Headlights

Option 2: Bi-LED Headlights

Option 3: Bi-LED Headlights with Adaptive Lighting System

Below is the Triple LED setup for the US-Model NX:

Notice that it only has 3 diodes.

Now, compare that to the Canadian-spec headlights:

That's my car - the Canadian Spec model.

The IIHS rated only the Tri-Beam LED headlights, the "regular" Bi-LED Headlights, and the Bi-LED Headlights with Adaptive Lighting System - which they denote with "Curve Assist".
The Bi-LED Headlights with Adaptive Lighting System are NOT available in Canada.

The reasoning is that Matrix LEDs have just recently been allowed in the USA some time Feburary (https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...1-2022-web.pdf), which was after the release of the NX, so the US didn't get them.

The following users liked this post:
anoop (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22, 06:23 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Preium Triple Beam LRD Headlamps

Originally Posted by anoop

@anoop, premium triple beam LED headlamps adds some other headlight features: changes the turn signals to LED, headlamp washers, and cornering lights. The triple beam is also supposed to be brighter, but I don't think that has been definitively proven <yet>

Shine On

YMMV,
MidCow3
anoop (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22, 06:40 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

@anoop, premium triple beam LED headlamps adds some other headlight features: changes the turn signals to LED, headlamp washers, and cornering lights. The triple beam is also supposed to be brighter, but I don't think that has been definitively proven <yet>

Shine On

YMMV,
MidCow3
you’re making me want to go the scientific route here and test!
but yes, they do seem brighter. The falloff to the sides is also less. They have a wider beam spread too.
midcow3 (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22, 09:14 PM
canuckwpg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrolada
Isn't it 56400 for luxury and 51400 for premium in Canada for nx350h?

Base is 49,900 ....premium package is 1500, luxury is 6500?

I got ultra premium (aka luxury minus pano) and only reason I got it was for 14" screen. If I had choice like in US, I'll only get 14" screen, triple beam led and ML sound ...but in Canada so no luck and I wasn't going to pay another 10k for triple beam and ML
the premium after the freight pdi, everything other than tax is 56.2 and the luxury is 61.2. I think if I’m spending that much I would rather get the luxury so I have the 14” screen and pano roof. But not fully decided yet
Old 08-04-22, 09:17 PM
canuckwpg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
Here's my take on the Executive Package in Canada. I got the Executive Trim (it was somewhat of an unexpected upgrade - as there was a cancellation, and I needed a car sooner). I originally ordered the Luxury trim for the 14" screen, Palamino interior (not available in Canada on the base or Premium trims), and the panoramic sunroof.
When ordering the Luxury trim, I really did regret not getting the 360 camera (Surround view monitor) and the tri-beam LED headlights.
I can directly compare most of my features to my friend's Premium-trim 350H:

Luxury/Ultra-Luxury features
  • Screen size: 9.8" vs 14" - to be honest, the 9.8" screen is enough. While driving on a road trip with my friend in his car, the screen doesn't seem small at all. The size is adequate, and while, sure, I like the 14" in my car, I mostly tune it out while driving now. It's a nice to have for sure, but the 9.8" isn't a "cheapo version" by any stretch.
  • Wheel size: 18" vs 20" - the smaller wheels are, at least to me, not that much more comfortable, in terms of looks, I prefer the 20" Executive Trim wheels (they are grey two-tone), then the 18" and then the Luxury and Ultra-Luxury 20" silver wheels. I wasn't a fan of the 20" silver wheels to be honest.
  • Lights - This is really the factor that sets the cars apart. Now, I want to preface that the base "bi-LED" lights in Canada aren't bad at all - they rival any bi-LEDs (non-laser) in Audis, Mercedes and BMWs, and are amazing. However, the tri-LED lights, in Canada, are something of an engineering marvel. They are astonishingly bright, and, have a significant edge over the US model. The Canadaian-spec "tri-LED" lights are actually "4-LED" lights with matrix lighting. This means that they intelligently light up portions of the road, and can "block out" portions of the road as to not blind oncoming traffic. They reach farther, shine brighter, and are much better lights. Again, the bi-LED standard lights are not bad at all - they are much better than any non-luxury LED lights I've seen, and can directly compete with the German bi-LED lights, it's just the tri(or quad)-LED lights in Canada are better. I also want to add that the US gets a self-leveling "adaptive" Bi-LED option (note - OPTION) that is better than the Canadian bi-LED lights, and rival the US-spec Tri-LED lights
  • Cornering Lamps - unlike the Lights above, the Cornering Lamps don't really do much. I don't even notice them to be honest. Sure, it adds some light to the sides, but it's not nearly enough to make a huge difference. I find they can automatically engage and lower speeds (like on a roundabout), which is nice, but again, not a real dealbreaker if you don't have them.
  • Turn signal indicators - this is a small disappointment. On non tri-LED headlights, you get a incandescent turn signal indicator in the front, which isn't as visible from the side, as the LED strip on the upgraded lights. I find it more disappointing that on the standard headlights, there is a place for the turn signal LED strips, but instead of having them there, they just added a piece of plastic trim inside.
  • 360 Camera - A great addition. The car has a slightly larger turning radius than my previous car - a Honda CR-V, and a narrow sidewall with the 20" tires. if you're a clutz, the 360 camera will help you not curb your tires. Overall I like it a lot, and wish it was included in lower trims than the starting-at Ultra-Luxury trim. It does help parking quite a bit. The real advantage here is the forward-facing camera and the parking sensors. It makes parking really... enjoyable, and overall very useful. I find that it's very helpful due to the long hood and "straight cut" of the grille.
  • Digital Key/Credit Card Key - Skip the digital key. I've (and others) have had issues with it. Battery drain, it randomly stopping working, and just the overall execution is poor. You do get a Credit Card key with the trims that offer the digital key - which is nice. I use this key as my main key.
  • Trunk kick sensor - is not something I thought I would love, but when you have your hands full of groceries, or a stroller, the kick sensor is a great addition. All the Premium and up trims offer a power tailgate, but the kick sensor is very useful to me. The NX has a very high load-floor, so this does help.
  • Panoramic Sunroof - I like a lot. I find the NX to be a small vehicle, and lacks interior "airiness". I find that the smaller sunroof on the Premium trim didn't really add to the experience. Sure, it was there, but it wasn't enough to make a difference. The only benefit I see to the regular (or no) sunroof, is that rear headroom is slightly better. I am short, and my wife is too, so it's not a big deal for me. Having the panoramic roof for me definitely adds to the experience, and makes the car feel much more open than it really is, and I drive 99% of the time with the pano roof open. One thing I noticed is that the pano roof appears to do an amazing job at blocking heat out. Even in sunny days, the tint + heat blocking of the roof let in the light, without making you squint. This is really impressive. I can't recall what it was like in the Premium-trim NX, but my old CR-V, I had to close the sunroof on a sunny day because of the sun roasting my head.
  • Seat ventilation/memory/steering wheel adjust - Unless you're getting the Signature (base) trim, every trim comes with this. Highly recommend not going with the base. The seats get really hot really quick, especially with the weather we've been having in Ontario (Canada). Driver seat memory is a must if you have more than one driver with "vastly different seating positions"
  • Lane Change Assist - Gimmick. you hold the turn stalk down partially, and, at higher (highway) speeds - it can change lanes. Which feels awkward to be honest
  • Digital rear-view mirror - I like it a lot. At first, it was disorienting, it was really strange looking at it, however it has grown on me. I find that the rear-view mirror is slightly dark (with the tinting on the rear glass). Additionally, visibility out the back isn't great. It's adequate, but not the best. The digital rear-view mirror is a high-refresh rate screen that works quite well. You lose depth perception, but you get used to it. It also allows you to see a much wider view, to the point where it can even "meet to what you see in the side mirrors". I find that it's not without fault though: it does get washed out when the sun hits it at a specific angle. At night, it's fine. The refresh rate of the mirror lowers to half (so that the image can be properly exposed). The detail is fine as well.
Now for the Executive-only features
  • Lumbar Support - The executive trim offers more adjustment when it comes to the lumbar support. I really don't care for this. The seats feel fine with or without the additional (up-down) lumbar support.
  • Power-Folding and reclining seats - Meh. In a car so small, it doesn't really make a difference to me. I find almost no value in this (for my use case).
  • Heated rear seats - is nice, however, I have no passengers that ride in the back seats, so this isn't something I care about.
  • Mark Levinson Audio - So, this is a polarizing answer. I like music, I am not an audiophile. The non ML audio sounds good. The speakers/amp (from what I heard) are made by Pioneer and are fine. It has bass, it sounds fine and sounds likes "premium audio" systems in non-luxury cars (it sounds the same or better than my friend's Bose system in a 2022 Honda Civic Touring). The ML system on the other hand is great. It's not one of those "blast it until your eardrums explode" systems, but it has remarkable clarity, no distortion at any level, and is exceptionally balanced. It's so great in fact, that I switched to Apple music because the quality of the audio is better than Spotify, and with the ML system you can clearly tell. The sound is pristine, but, just like the lights, the base option isn't bad at all. In comparison, however, yes - the ML audio is really good.
  • Leather Seats - the non-Executive-trim seats come with NuLuxe - which are great, and are comfortable. The Executive-trim leather seats are only slightly more comfortable. I wouldn't call this anything spectacular, only to say that "I've got leather seats over synthetic leather"
  • HUD - The best feature about having the HUD is the different instrument cluster/gauge cluster. I think it's much clearer and more refined, and I do like that I see navigation in the HUD, speed, etc. Now - the HUD isn't without its drawbacks - the Advanced Touch Steering Wheel...
  • The "Advanced Touch Steering Wheel" - is a pain to live with. Not because of the "touch" aspect, but because of the way you interact with it. The buttons are unlabeled, which is fine, as I can remember that "down" is to set the cruise control, "up" is to resume, "right" is to cancel, and "left" is to set the following distance. The problem os that you can't simply "press" up. The touchpad is one big button - and placing your finger on the "up" button, then pressing it, doesn't really do much - it just seemingly wakes the "advanced" touchpad, after which you can press the button again to resume/raise the speed. The "proper" way to use it is to "swipe from the center to the up position, then press" - which wakes the trackpad and does the intended action. What a mess. Lexus loves their touchpads.
  • Advanced Park - is a failure. It's slow, finicky and something that isn't worth the RD time that has been invested in it. I've used it 3 times, all of which have been a painful experiences, and just to "show off" the feature to friends and family.

Okay, so my take - what's the best Canadian trim? I'd say the Ultra Luxury trim. Why? the Tri-Beam LED headlights and 360 Surround View Monitor are worth it for me. For that price, you also get a kick sensor and digital rear-view mirror. As a small bonus - you also get wood trim inlays - which are nicer than the plastic ones on the Luxury and below. They don't show fingerprints and add a touch of class.
The Executive trim isn't worth the extra money IMO. it's a great car, yea. The ML audio is great, the HUD is great, and the Leather seats, Heated rear, power-folding rear, lumbar support, and nicer tires are all nice - but I don't believe they are worth the $5000 upcharge over the Ultra Luxury.

To answer the questions:
I'm not sure if Remote Parking is still included.
No, Lexus pulled this from the 2022 models. Supposedly due to a design spec change. The feature is still something that's present in the UI (you can toggle it on/off) - but not available in the Lexus app. Affected users were supposedly given some money back by Lexus.

Canadian version has on board cellular capability
Yes and no. The Canadian model does have a Wi-Fi hotspot, however, it doesn't work in Canada. If you connect to it - you get an ATT landing page that states that this feature isn't available in your region. The "yes" - is that it does have a Cellular model that does send and receive data (and allow you to control/monitor the car remotely, including location, start-stop, etc)

And what the implications are for related features...ie hot spot, traffic, etc.

Traffic works fine, navigation works fine, what you do miss in Canada is the ability to use Apple Music which is built-in. Essentially, you can't play streaming music services unless you have your own phone with data. Everything else works the same as the US-spec model.

Hope that helps!
that does help! Thanks for such a thorough response. I agree ultra luxury is probsbly what I would pick but I am already going past my budget getting the nx350H in general. Originally ordered a Rav 4 hybrid. So I think I have decided on the luxury trim as it’s a good middle ground. Again thank you
Old 08-04-22, 09:33 PM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by canuckwpg
that does help! Thanks for such a thorough response. I agree ultra luxury is probsbly what I would pick but I am already going past my budget getting the nx350H in general. Originally ordered a Rav 4 hybrid. So I think I have decided on the luxury trim as it’s a good middle ground. Again thank you
You won’t regret it. I was in the same boat, except I compared the 2022 Venza to this car. The Venza was nice, it had the Lexus vibes, but the NX felt so much better, more refined, and much more premium. It’s a car you actually feel good being in.

the Luxury is a good trim for sure, and as long as you are not doing a side by side comparison over the other upgrades the Ultra Luxury has, you won’t miss them!
Old 08-05-22, 03:49 PM
CRC99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ihave1cat, did you set up more than one profile...did you have the problems others are reporting here?
Old 08-05-22, 08:29 PM
junbuginc
3rd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

YMMV,
MidCow3
When I purchased in April there were not many luxury package available since each dealer had 1 or 2 available with a 1-2 options missing from the car. The options I got were to either have the power folding heated rear seats in cloudburst grey without the ML and the triple-LED headlights or to get the other option which had the ML and the triple-LED headlights without the power folding heated rear seats in blue. Since I live up north and have children it made more sense to get the first option and you can also control the seats using the screen from the driver seat plus we liked the color too. So even though we missed out on the triple-LED headlamps, I feel like the package we chose fits our needs better. If I had the option to I would have chose to put everything on the car.

Last edited by junbuginc; 08-05-22 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 09:01 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CRC99
Ihave1cat, did you set up more than one profile...did you have the problems others are reporting here?
I have a profile for 2 of my nephews. Have not had any problems.

Quick Reply: Best trim level for NX350H?